Got a warning by the law this weekend. Not happy >

Got a warning by the law this weekend. Not happy

Notices

Got a warning by the law this weekend. Not happy

Old 07-16-2012, 09:42 AM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Got a warning by the law this weekend. Not happy

Have a 37' (at water line) Atlantic trawler. The boat is 13.5' wide, waighs 33,000lb dry. Holds 400gal of fuel, 200+ of water. It's powdered by twin detroits, draft is 4'. Full displacement hull. Was head back in came to the no wake zone. Boat it is idle with both motors in gear. Wildlife and fishires flash the flash light at me and yel show down. So I shut it to one motor. Still to fast. Flashed me once more. Yelled back I can't go slower. Then he said take it out of gear and coast the put it back in.

Now the boat wasn't throwing a wake to start with. Been by them time after time nothing said. Why is this time diffrent? Its going to make a 3-5" wake due to size and waight. Have the most control with both motors. On one motore the will pull but still to fast for the agent anyways. Take the boat out of gear. Then you have no control. What do you do?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I, for one, have a hard time believing there is ANY law whatsoever in those parts. You must be joking, Casey! Lol.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where was this at Casey ? Artie
Old 07-16-2012, 10:37 AM
VP of the tickfaw200

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
I, for one, have a hard time believing there is ANY law whatsoever in those parts. You must be joking, Casey! Lol.
Lol.... Oh it happend. Didn't mention they were standing on land at dusk!

It happend on the trickfaw river at the 22 bridge no wake zone.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Registered

Default Before this become part of the conversation!

In legalese, the phrase "NO WAKE ZONE" means it is a speed zone. Like many others I have had boats which created virtually no wake at full or near full throttle. Not permitted!

To further the definition of No Wake Zone, in most states, and I looked up Louisiana and it is the same, is defined as (not verbatim) "as slow an operating speed as to maintain control and create no wake". I can find no definition of wake in Louisiana Law, not even in the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.

Now there are two issues: 1) What is a safe speed to control your Trawler? 2) By the true definition of wake, no object can go through the water without creating a wake! (fluid dynamics)

I have been in areas where there is very sticky "speed/wake" enforcement. While using a 40' cruiser in those areas, I simply popped it in and out of gear. Still o.k. control and the smallest wake possible. A few years later the "No Wake Zone" was removed, right after the death of a local judge. Suppose there was any correlation to the two events?

The other option might be to spend a lot of money and fight it... or armed with the definition of "fluid dynamics" ask the state to define wake and begin ticketing state boats who go through the speed zone, for creating a wake... since they have no definition of their own!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

I'm sure your solution is much better than any I would have, but it sorta sound like to me your, "getting into a piss'n match with a skunk". jus say'n
Jay
Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by never enuff
I'm sure your solution is much better than any I would have, but it sorta sound like to me your, "getting into a piss'n match with a skunk". jus say'n
Jay
Agreed!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

like everywhere ellse in the u.s,,they are trying to generate money...this time it was a warning next time they will probably throw the book at you..
Old 07-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Registered

Ditto here, Casey - Sunday, we were out on Tickfaw River also at Hwy 22, got pulled over, we were in a 41 SeaRay with twin diesels. LA W & F agent was cordial, but stated it was a no wake zone. Both engines were at idle in gear. After the agent came on board we took one out of gear and we were still going to fast - at that point started shifting each in and out of gear, and drifting side to side in the river. Again the agent was very professional, however not sure how slow to go
Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM
VP of the tickfaw200

Originally Posted by craig@GCOffshore
Ditto here, Casey - Sunday, we were out on Tickfaw River also at Hwy 22, got pulled over, we were in a 41 SeaRay with twin diesels. LA W & F agent was cordial, but stated it was a no wake zone. Both engines were at idle in gear. After the agent came on board we took one out of gear and we were still going to fast - at that point started shifting each in and out of gear, and drifting side to side in the river. Again the agent was very professional, however not sure how slow to go
Its kinda Agervating after years of doing the same thing then one day its wrong. Not sure how fast to go also anymore. They were also nice about it. Didnt argue with them to keep the peac. They do keep there boats in the marina lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.