Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain 29Fever -Goods & Bads >

Fountain 29Fever -Goods & Bads

Notices

Fountain 29Fever -Goods & Bads

Old 07-31-2012, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

come on children, lol. hey everybody has different wants and needs. Some boats are better than others in certain aspects. Really any of the boats being talked about are nice boats.

Fountain is a great boat yeah there is smaller gas tanks compared to others and smaller cockpits but its what you need and want. I dont ever use more than half a tank in an outing so even a 110 gallon tank is to much for me. Heres the thing with fountain compared to others, one you are getting the name, the Fountain hull is one of the better ones out here, your getting the name, its like Nike and AND ONE shoes, and ones are just as nice as Nike but still arent nikes. Overall for the money fountain is going to provide you the best ride, speed, goodies, for the money. Are there others that are better sure, but you are also going to pay double for some custom rig. But its all in what you want to spend and want. I bought into my 29 for less 30k its looks nice, it goes 70 when I want but rarely get over 55, and I have one. I could be into something thats more custom but probably would have spend 5 times that to get what I have now or something a little better.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soldier4402
come on children, lol. hey everybody has different wants and needs. Some boats are better than others in certain aspects. Really any of the boats being talked about are nice boats.

Fountain is a great boat yeah there is smaller gas tanks compared to others and smaller cockpits but its what you need and want. I dont ever use more than half a tank in an outing so even a 110 gallon tank is to much for me. Heres the thing with fountain compared to others, one you are getting the name, the Fountain hull is one of the better ones out here, your getting the name, its like Nike and AND ONE shoes, and ones are just as nice as Nike but still arent nikes. Overall for the money fountain is going to provide you the best ride, speed, goodies, for the money. Are there others that are better sure, but you are also going to pay double for some custom rig. But its all in what you want to spend and want. I bought into my 29 for less 30k its looks nice, it goes 70 when I want but rarely get over 55, and I have one. I could be into something thats more custom but probably would have spend 5 times that to get what I have now or something a little better.
soldier- Not bagging on the brand, just the ups and downs of it,

I think the F troop makes a nice stable boat, and I dont remember hearing anyone getting hurt in one because of bad manners and thats a big deal.

Really just trying to respond to the posters original question without soft-balling it. I see there is a duplicate of this in the fountain forum - should be fun to watch.

UD
Old 07-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Posters looking for the good and the bad-(what the thread title says)

A boat in this size having as small as 110 gallon tank vs a potential 150 is a significant difference in an identically sized boat.

Last I checked a small tank was a downside and hence answered the posters question or at least brought the subject to the table.

Maybe not important to you- but who cares what you think?
You arent buying the boat.

UD
Never said it was or wasn't important. I just think it's funny that instead of asking r015 if tank size is important for his type of boating you use phrases like "blows chunks" and "that's a joke" followed buy "my boat...". That is all I was trying to say. If you can't see my point then i don't know what else to say.

I'm out.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Registered

Come on...

This is the general Forum, not a protected (manufacturers) one.

This isnt knitting and sewing weekly.
A tiny bit of razzing over this kind of stuff is normal especially in an open forum.

No ones coming after anyones mom or sister, but since you seem to be offended I'll apologize to you an anyone else I may have PO'd with my colorful commentary.

UD
Old 08-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Registered

I am not a Fountain owner but I do have 2 good friends who have 29's. I like both of their boats.
Styling and graphics are a subjective thing. I've seen different people who's opinions are valid look at the same boat, and say the exact opposite about it. No doubt the beak will always be a source of "conversation", good and bad.
Both boats are blue motor singles, one has a lightly modified 575 and runs in the high 80s, the other has a 525 with a 3.3 Whipple that has been hard on drives (now fixed with a SCX), but the motor has run perfectly. It runs low 90s.
Both are newer model single step hulls.
Cockpit size: good
Sunlounge area: good
Cabin: small
Ride: average lake conditions OK, rough water, rough
High speed handling: good
Fit and finish: good
Build quality: good
Rigging: very good
There you have it. No bullsheet, no bench racing, just my informed opinion.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 08-09-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Registered

Default 29 Fountain

Great review and non-bias opinion, pretty much my own thoughts on the whole thing, but not much other confirmation or views that matched, till now, and even some good examples confirmed.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by r015
Great review and non-bias opinion, pretty much my own thoughts on the whole thing, but not much other confirmation or views that matched, till now, and even some good examples confirmed.

Thanks
All boats below 30' have compromises (cabin space/cockpit space/engine compartment accessability/storage/etc). I have one that is a pretty good compromise, as is the Fountain. I looked at both (and others) when I ended up with the Nordic. I would have been fine with the Fountain too.
Best Regards,
Steve
Old 08-10-2012, 12:25 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Something that nobody's mentioned is how low the stern of a 29' twin sits. The rub rail is literally in the water.[/QUOTE]

i have seen and hurd of a few 29-32's that have sank due to the sealent thay sused coming apart at the rubrail. just for that i woulnt buy one with BBC's. now twin Ls setup i would. the waight saving should bring the rub rail out. someting like that all alum 500ph/550tqr small block from marine power.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

A 29 with a single sounds perfect.