Fountain 29Fever -Goods & Bads >

Fountain 29Fever -Goods & Bads

Notices

Fountain 29Fever -Goods & Bads

Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fountain 29Fever -Goods & Bads

Has newer single 525EFI w/XR , is a single big enough for this boat and how do they run and handle.
Never had a ride in one? Could it run 79-80mph?
Prefer single only because of weight and maintenance.Don't need to buy a new diesel to pull it.

Are these good boats,if not in what way?DON'T WANT A BIG MISTAKE IN THE BARN!!!

Long time boat owner would be my 10th boat probably.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 01 and think it's a great boat. I have a single 500EFI and run an all day 72 in the lake and 74 in the salt. They were offered for a couple years with twins but the singles were more popular due to maintenance and weight distribution when flying the boat (with a single it flies pretty level). I think the 525/XR combo would be a great boat and should run high 70's to low 80's.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by r015
Has newer single 525EFI w/XR , is a single big enough for this boat and how do they run and handle.
Never had a ride in one? Could it run 79-80mph?
Prefer single only because of weight and maintenance.Don't need to buy a new diesel to pull it.

Are these good boats,if not in what way?DON'T WANT A BIG MISTAKE IN THE BARN!!!

Long time boat owner would be my 10th boat probably.

Thanks for the help guys.
most prefer twins in a 29 and thats what I have. In order to get into the 70s with a 29 your talking an HP 500 or 525 which yeah you save one less oil change but fuel cost between two 454s and a 500 probably arent that different or at least you wont be running double the fuel. Also with a single you are going to have to have a stronger drive so in the end to rebuild a 500 or 525 probably is probably the same as rebuilding 1.5 454s. Not to mention your standard bravo drive probably wouldnt be used and would cost you a lot more to run TRSs or something.

On the weight thing my twin 29 weighs 7k dry plus a trailer lose an engine and drive is only going to net you net weight savings of maybe 5-600lbs as that single will have a heavier engine and drive.

I tow my 29 with an EB and have no problem with trailer and such I figure the load weighs in around 9500-9800, so really if you feel as if you need a diesel for a 29 with twins you probably need one for a single as well.

But I love the boat rides, never been in anything like it. There are other great boats out there but I think youll find a fountain hull to probably be in the top three of anything else out there.

One down fall of fountain is they are more race inspired then say a formula or baja so creature comforts and space are not as great. But Fountain unlike some others includes all the premium goodies up front alot of other brands either dont have them or have average equipment. Also with fountain like other quality brands(cigarette,etc) your value of the boat will hold more true. Its pretty hard to find a running fountain in good shape for anything less than about 20-22k and thats for 25 year old boats.

Last edited by soldier4402; 07-26-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

My 29 is in the classifieds. A single 575sci will get you to the 80s and with a SCX/SC drive it is bullet proof.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother, "Big Time" had an 03 w/525. It ran 79-80 and was a good 6-8 MPH faster than my boat in calm seas(1 foot or less). Once you got to 2 footers, I was walking by him as he was getting beat up. Its a good lake boat, not a great rough water boat.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only complaint with our old 29 was the shallow freeboard in the cockpit. Never really felt that safe after riding in boats with more freeboard.

Other than, great boat. Mine had twin 454's.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

29 ft. single engine is a pretty limited market boat. The reason is the boat is big enough to go places and you'll have the pain of a larger boat around the docks and towing but you don't have the peace of mind that twin engines bring you.

If you look at the history of the Donzi 27 / 28 ZX (same hull) they went from mostly single big blocks like the 29 fountain to almost exclusively twin small blocks after 2001-ish. There are very few single engines because it's just not what most people in this range wants.

Also... maintenance I calculate over time to be a wash. A Single blue engine will need a top end at 250 hours and be pretty rough on the drive. Twin small blocks with Bravo 1's are easy on the drives and don't need top end rebuilds until hundreds of hours of use. So you'll have higher annual costs with impellers, oil changes, etc. but lower hard maintenance stops.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
My brother, "Big Time" had an 03 w/525. It ran 79-80 and was a good 6-8 MPH faster than my boat in calm seas(1 foot or less). Once you got to 2 footers, I was walking by him as he was getting beat up. Its a good lake boat, not a great rough water boat.
Glad...I could see that boat being fine during the August Dog Days we get out here on our waters, not so good most of the other times.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm a big fan of the 29' single - on smaller bodies of water. It's actually faster - with the same power - than the 27'. We sold way more singles than twins. (In fact I think we only sold 2 twins.)

Something that nobody's mentioned is how low the stern of a 29' twin sits. The rub rail is literally in the water.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Remember this is a Fountain...not really a 29...more like a 26 with a beak and a platform. 26' boats run great with singles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.