Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Freakin Engine Builders... >

Freakin Engine Builders...

Notices

Freakin Engine Builders...

Old 04-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get your stuff, American Engine and Machine, Detroit Michigan, that ****-holes best kept secret. One guy does everything. He assembled my 502 late-2011, worked well with Bob Madera and only was delayed because of changes I made to the build, while it was happening, plus the prices were AWESOME. He can't dyno it, but starts and runs every engine. It was dropped off fully dressed, and returned to me fully dressed. Great experience -- two co-workers have used him since and had similar results. It's an OLD school shop.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boatfreak
I have just the opposite problem with my engine builder. I use Eddie Young and hell he'll talk your ear off.
His buddy, John H, is the same. In order to get off of the phone you have to hang up.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:10 PM
GB
Registered

Don't even consider lame azz excuses at this point. Go pick your property/parts up and don't look back. There are plenty of professional builders that are customer focussed with integrity.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackdonz
Sometimes I just cant stand engine builders... whether its a actual engine shop doing it or someone that does it on the side at there house making extra money. Me being unlucky/dumb I guess Ive experienced both. WTF is the deal with engine builders not returning phone calls, emails, texts, etc!?!?

Because I recently moved here in Michigan, I didnt know many honest people for who to go too for my engine build. Its my fault for not going on the forums and asking where to go... ill take the blame for that.

So... the deal is that in January I dropped off my sbc short block(400sbc) for it to be rebuilt from a builder that was local and had a good rep form the local marinas. He would supply the recommend parts and use the aluminum heads I had. I stopped by his shop on the March 15th to drop off my aluminum heads I wanted to use and he said he would have a price on everything else the next day and the motor would be ready to go at the end of March. Thats the last Ive herd from him after giving him 3-4 phone calls and 2-3 text messages Over the past 2 weeks. No money has been given to him... I would just drive up to his shop but i am in and out of town for work. I know he is alive and well from word of mouth from my outdrive guy. Whats the next move in your peoples eyes... Ill have some free time this Saturday to go up to his shop, but thats it. This is the second builder that's done this to me and Im SICK of this. I WISH I KNEW HOW TO BUILD ENGINES!!! just do it myself!

Sorry... I had to vent a little...

Only 2 builders in Michigan that give you 100% hands on build, dyno tune in house and personally install your engine with the upmost professionalism total geared for offshore boaters and that is myself in SE Michigan and Dave Wesseldyk of WESCO race engines in SW Michigan.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by brian41
Only 2 builders in Michigan that give you 100% hands on build, dyno tune in house and personally install your engine with the upmost professionalism total geared for offshore boaters and that is myself in SE Michigan and Dave Wesseldyk of WESCO race engines in SW Michigan.
That's a bold statement. And true.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatfreak
I have just the opposite problem with my engine builder. I use Eddie Young and hell he'll talk your ear off.
lmao, BUT, when Eddie speaks I'm HIGHLY inclined to listen. He fits right in there with .00001% of the people who actually care and share their institutional knowledge and expect nothing in return. If I ever get my SB2 engine project off the ground I know who I'm sending it to.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Curious, what town is this guy located in?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Registered
Gold Member

I just recently dropped off two 502's to be rebuilt to a shop. the next day I had a call from the owner and he completely tore down both motors, diagnosed what was actually wrong with them and had price quotes and options ready for me. I was shocked! In fact I had to hold him up while I made some financial decisions. Oh and this was through the holiday season in December. I know they weren't blue motors or super high hp motors and for that I would probably go somewhere else. But I was treated right and that was great !

In the end I always tell people go with the shops/people that the guys in the business recommend. My buddy that is a mechanic and done extremely well for himself for all the right reasons recommended this guy for all his rebuild work. And in the end it payed off.

I also agree that there must be something Mercury Racing puts in their oils that affects the mechanics and owners of these shops we often complain about.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Registered

As usual, price has to be an object for most in any repairs/rebuilds but the old story is definitely true and that is that you get what you pay for. Too many online stories of an engine going back for a 2nd and 3rd time because a few corners were cut. I don't think you can put a price on being broke down, missing that great weekend, etc not to mention pissed off wife and/or children. It's a toy so they do break but get the best builder in your area and follow their instructions after doing your homework. It sounds like Dave of Wesco is nearby, and have seen a lot of his customers that constantly reuse him and he keeps you up to date with pics, texts, etc every step of the way. Kinda fun to watch the process from what I've seen. Good luck and just my .02!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Registered

Ok... heres the Update.

Went up to the shop and found a few people there, from talking to them hes in the hospital right now for Osteomyelitis(Infection in your bone) and will be returning to work next week. I guess it was pretty serious... All the parts are ordered and will be at the shop Thursday, the block is getting done this weekend. I guess he has 2 cell phones and has the personal phone at the hospital which he doesn't hand out that number to customers, but I still wanted to talk to him so one of the guys gave me that number and I was able to speak with him briefly and get this straighten out. He confirmed that the motor will be done in two weeks. Im still not really pleased on how this all went down, but thats out of my control i suppose. Not sure if it was the right move continuing to go with him but time will tell. I do have another backup plan in place if this does go south. Figure this was kinda out of his control too. I will be keeping you all updated.

Specs of the motor...
400 sbc 2bolt 509 casting
.40 over bore
Profiler 195/64 heads
5.7 rods
9.3 compression
RPM intake
edelbrock 750
Forged pistons
Cam?????????????? Hes not 100% on what cam to use. XM262, 270, 278... ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.