Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Another Tragic Boating Accident >

Another Tragic Boating Accident

Notices

Another Tragic Boating Accident

Old 07-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Legal chit be damned, the issue here is that two children will never put that smile on their parents face again. They will not grow up to be all they could have been. Accidents like this should not happen, people need to begin to pay way more attention to what the fock they are doing on the water. For some reason the lack of the white lines turns the deal into some f'n free for all cluster fock. See it every weekend where we boat, just plain stupid chit by stupid people with little concern for others around them.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 07-16-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It breaks my heart to know that three small children were the victims in this horrible accident. Was it a freak accident? (yes) but I still think it was a accident that could have been avoided. For one alot of the people on the water are weekend warriors that have no business being on the water in a boat or jetski and have no clue about the rules all they see is a good time and don't realize the dangers involved. For two most people don't associate jetskis with tubes or skiers they only associate small runabout boats with them. My family has jetskis and I personally would never pull one of my children behind one. So sad,
Old 07-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 12meter joe
I read there was no observer/spotter. Very sad either way! People need to start paying more attention to their surroundings, espeacially with more and more unexpreienced people driving around like idiots. I can't believe the stuff I see every single weekend on lake st clair. They're gonna ruin it for everyone else eventually.
According to the news reports the kids were being towed by a jetski. How the fun do you put an observer on a ski??? Imo it is a very unfortunate accident on a busy (private) lake.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
According to the news reports the kids were being towed by a jetski. How the fun do you put an observer on a ski??? Imo it is a very unfortunate accident on a busy (private) lake.
I'm not really sure as I never skied or tubed behind anything but a boat and always had someone watching what was going on. I do know that some of these jet skis nowadays are like small boats they are so big, making it possible for someone to sit backwards on the back, I think. Idk, but these accidents could definitely be avoided?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Registered

I only quoted you cause your local and assumed you were looking for updates. I agree they could be avoided. I read today that alcohol was not a factor but they are still investigating...
Old 07-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. Can't imagine how either family feels.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Registered

Ya me either. I didn't want you to feel I was a Dick for quoting you.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Registered

Not at all, never took it that way.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Registered

Cool.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Three seat jet skis are set up for this purpose. The handle on the back of the seat is there not only to help a rider board the ski but it also doubles as a hand rail for the observer, when sitting positioned facing backwards. I have seen many people use jet skis to pull single rider tubes the correct way and there is nothing wrong when they are used the correct way. However, the problem is, they seldom are.

Regardless of laws (being broken or followed) 2 children are dead and one critically injured. Both the operators of the vessels and their family's have all been terribly effected by this life alternating accident. An accident that could have easily been avoided by something as simple as being more alert/aware of other vessels in the area. I strongly feel ALL boat operators should attend a cost guard (or similar) approved boating course. I would be perfectly fine with have to attend one every few years. If attending a boating safety course is too much of an inconvenience then you shouldn't be operating a boat. Boating is a privilege that should be earned with proper training, not just given because a person is an adult or had a drivers license. I plan to enroll my wife and daughter (who will be 12 next summer) into a CG boaters Safety course even though they don't drive the boat. I think the information taught in these courses is as useful for passengers as it is for the operators. I will be taking the class with them. Even though I have taken one in the past and have been boating for 25+ years, the worst that can happen by taking a safety class is I may remember something I had forgotten or maybe even learn something new...... It's amazing how many people I meet out on the water, that don't understand how I am able to get my anchor to set on the first try every time. Or how I am able to tie easy to use knots, etc. Even taking the class to learn proper terminology....... (Personal pet peeve; people calling fender "bumpers" and even better calling them "buoys").

Last edited by low_psi; 07-16-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.