Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Another Tragic Boating Accident >

Another Tragic Boating Accident

Notices

Another Tragic Boating Accident

Old 07-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

saw on freep.com this morning silvan lake is going to recieve marine patrol now.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read that. The budget cuts the last few years took them off the water.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were anchored over the weekend on a friends SeaRay and saw tubing right in the middle of traffic in and out the Harbor mouth.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there were obviously errors on the jet ski operator's part but it is still the responsibility of the overtaking vessel to maintain distance and stand down.
The boat operator FAILED.
He hit a tube full of kids. Even if there was an observer, rear view mirror, flag, proper capacity none of this matters while the tube is in motion.
Bottom line - boat driver was NOT aware of his surroundings

I am not familiar with the exact location and direction of craft travel which may have contributed? I am on the MC boat forum that has a member that actually gave CPR to one of the kids. Still no mention of the circumstances.

Water sports, especially tubing, is a safety concern in congested waters. Any experienced captain knows this.
Operators are excited to get the kids in the water and drop in at harbor mouths and tow down the main channel.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
I disagree. Licenses can be taken away. If during a license check you are found without one, you get taken away.

Many Texas lakes now have "no refusal weekends" where if you refuse the on-site breathalyzer you are taken in for a blood test by order of the local judge. People complain about loss of freedom etc. but this has been made necessary by the large number of primarily alcohol related boating accidents. There has been a huge improvement in safety and reduction in alcohol related and reckless boating accidents. They frequently post signs warning of the "no refusal weekend" coming up and even the non drinkers drive better to avoid being stopped for life jacket counts, etc. Google search for Lake Conroe No Refusal will pull up articles and statistics.
None of what you have said here that I can see supports licenses. They stepped up enforcement and got results. We have "no refusal" in California without licenses. They can do life jacket counts, too. Same thing would happen licenses or not.

Michael