Another Tragic Boating Accident >

Another Tragic Boating Accident

Notices

Another Tragic Boating Accident

Old 07-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another Tragic Boating Accident

I don't remember seeing a post on this story yet, on OSO. so here it is....

This one is heart breaking....

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/2...z/-/index.html

I don't know who is to blame in this accident, but it simply could have been avoided (by either operator). Far too often when I am out on our boat, I see Jet Skis, Bass Boats, and other small vessels driving erratic. Maybe it is to hit a wave (jet ski) or the constant changing or direction when pulling a skiier... Either way, these boat operators need to not only take into account the movement of their vessel, but also be aware of other vessels in the area. Unfortunately this is a very sad and painful way to learn this lesson....... Regardless of fault, neither of these boat operators will ever be the same. In a split second, their lives (along with the 3 children) have been altered forever....

My thoughts and prayers are with both families........
Old 07-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sux
Old 07-16-2013, 01:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Horrible accident. At Canyon Lake, TX they put out an advisory to not pull tubers on the Holiday weekends because it is so crowded. Not mandatory, just advisory.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a shame. I am not sure in other parts of the country, but some, ok most of the people who pull folks on tubes/skis/boards tend to do it in areas that are within the channel or in a area with high boat traffic here. I said it the other day when we were out for the weekend. I have never understood it. As a kid we always did the stuff off the beating path. Another accident that prob could have been avoided. God speed to the family's. True shame. :/

John jr
Old 07-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Awful!! I frequently pull my kids on the tube but most of the time I won't do it on wknds. We wait till weekdays/evenings because of all of the idiots on the water.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Registered

I agree 100% with you Fenderjack. Here on the Detroit river I see people skiing and tubing in the shipping channels regularly... Our shipping channels are fairly narrow, so add to that the guys who are fishing in the channel, it almost makes for a slalom course. One in which I don't want to manuvere through...... I have never seen the reason to pull a skiier and/or tuber into a busy area, for this exact reason.....
Old 07-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Registered

Same on Travis, on busy weekend you will see boats towing tubes with young children right through the middle of packs of boats. It is only a miracle that more dont get hurt... I consider it child endangerment myself .. If your an adult and want to risk your life thats fine but no one should put young children in that position..
Old 07-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think most inexperienced boaters don't expect lake lice to be towing anything. But increasingly jets skis and sea doos are being marketed as inexpensive tow vehicles. THIS IS BAD PRACTICE as the driver of a jet ski cannot possibly keep a proper lookout. And the riders particularly children are having a great time not expecting anything. I have a 3 and 6 year old and NEVER tow them without an observer in the boat with me. It should be made ILLEGAL, a CRIME to tow human beings by jet ski, or any vehicle for that matter without an observer. My heart goes out to those innocent victims and the family.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Registered

I believe in Michigan, It is illegal to tow a skiier/tuber behind a jet ski unless you have an observer (facing backwards) and a space for the current skiied aboard the vessel. So legally, to tow one skier you mush have a three seater to do so. One for the operator, one for the observer, and one for the skier. Maybe it has changed. If this is the law, then that does put some fault on dad, as he had three on the tube. The story doesn't mention if he had an abservor, but lets assume he did. He would need a jet ski with 5 seats to be legal........ Again, I believe this to be the law in MI, but I am not sure how accurate. It is just what I have picked up in conversations with others... I don't own a jet ski, doctor says I can't ride one (due to back injury/fusions) so I never really paid too much attention to jet ski specific laws.....

Maybe the addition of mirrors, changes the rules in regards to observer..... Again, I don't know.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Registered

Just took a look at the Michigan Law. It appears there is no mention of seating requirements. However, it does state an vessel pulling a skier MUST have an observer aboard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.