Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is the big deal about the 1350 and 1650 mercs? >

What is the big deal about the 1350 and 1650 mercs?

Notices

What is the big deal about the 1350 and 1650 mercs?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

I think it all depends in the exact "type of performance" boatin u want to do. How serious are u about it, is your real performance boat only for PRs and shoot outs or also ur regular weekend toy to impress friends that don't really know our sport.... If your looking for the fun and overal then mercs motors are great but very pricey. But if u want to show up and kick A$$ then you can't go with the mercs against some of the others other wise u will be toast. Just look at the Loto shoot out. The 20 plus year old 40 Skater with twin turbo engines put a beat down on all the Merc guys, and the mercs were in much newer boats. Oh did I mention they were running E type fuel!! Oh and #6s... Cause this all goes back to- the M8s suck!! And I'm not talking about reliability but performance!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
And no "marinized" drag race stuff, two different applications here.
Not really, a valve is a valve, a rod is a rod. Where they part ways is the exhaust and the oiling systems. Dry sumps being mandatory in high HP marine for a chance to live.

Have you spoken with Cobra Power?

That's the only "Marine" guys I've had the privilege to tour the shop of in a very long time. Been hearing good things about them lately. However I don't know how much they've gotten into the EFI side, or big turbo builds, which I would definitely stick with both those to be in the same class as the new Merc. But pretty certain they could do the M8 engine combo for a fair price.

Your correct about the Merc total package, that's the big selling point here. I can hook ya up with the big power part easy, but the rest of it this industry as a whole lacks behind a bit.

Who was it on here built the red powder coated twin turbo big block engines a couple years ago? Recall some video of them on the dyno and some more of the sea trials. That's the guy to ask, got some hours on those by now I'm sure..
Old 11-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Not really, a valve is a valve, a rod is a rod. Where they part ways is the exhaust and the oiling systems. Dry sumps being mandatory in high HP marine for a chance to live.

Have you spoken with Cobra Power?

That's the only "Marine" guys I've had the privilege to tour the shop of in a very long time. Been hearing good things about them lately. However I don't know how much they've gotten into the EFI side, or big turbo builds, which I would definitely stick with both those to be in the same class as the new Merc. But pretty certain they could do the M8 engine combo for a fair price.

Your correct about the Merc total package, that's the big selling point here. I can hook ya up with the big power part easy, but the rest of it this industry as a whole lacks behind a bit.

Who was it on here built the red powder coated twin turbo big block engines a couple years ago? Recall some video of them on the dyno and some more of the sea trials. That's the guy to ask, got some hours on those by now I'm sure..
Smith Power http://bradsmithpower.com/services/
Old 11-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Registered

Dang.... Yes that was Brad's handy work.

IMO, those engines he built are EXACTLY what you want. They were de-tuned, or not running at 100% potential to be reliable. Basically the same theory behind the new truck diesels, built with 600hp parts but only tuned to 360hp so they last. You need to follow this same principle with a marine engine to get any reliability. Only reason I'm holding out on praising QC4v until I see the hour...
Old 11-04-2013, 06:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick G
ICDEDPPL I'm not sure if they are that much more reliable . There is an Outerlimits in Ontario with a pair of 1650s that he blu up in the first 50 hours . Also Tommy at Chief builds a turbo charged big HP motor that I think can go a long time between services. I think the warranty is the only really big advantage to the Mercury deal. Just my 2 .

RG.

Yup!!!! it didn't do to good in the rice lake poker run..... I though I would have been dead last... LOL.. awesome looking boat... I would have traded him... but I don't think he was interested LOL if had that kinda cash for a boat, I would have fire bombed the *ucking thing in the middle of the lake and put it on youtube!!! if would have 20M hits
Old 11-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kidturbo

Well, yes and no. My Pro Stock engines made 1350 hp (10 years ago), but that was at 9800rpm. Big bore, short stroke. My chassis builder has a 2400 twin turbo street 67 nova (drag week champ 4 times), but that motor wouldn't live in a marine environment either.

While I do think there are some options to get to 1500hp plus, none I have seen (so far) can match the reliability and manners of the Merc motors. While the 1650's seem to have some issues (to be fair they are "race" motors) I haven't seen any 'blown up' 1350's yet are there are a tone of them at LOTO. the one set I did hear about could be traced back to owner ignorance...long story.
Anyway, I do hope some of the builders can come up with a product that can compete with Merc in high horse PLEASURE boat products, I just haven't seen it yet.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
By the way I'm not bashing here I am really curious if there are any real options out there.
And no "marinized" drag race stuff, two different applications here.

There is always Options!

Jon
Attached Thumbnails What is the big deal about the 1350 and 1650 mercs?-09.jpg   What is the big deal about the 1350 and 1650 mercs?-11.jpg   What is the big deal about the 1350 and 1650 mercs?-15.jpg  

What is the big deal about the 1350 and 1650 mercs?-check300-3.jpg   What is the big deal about the 1350 and 1650 mercs?-check300-6.jpg   What is the big deal about the 1350 and 1650 mercs?-check300-12.jpg  

What is the big deal about the 1350 and 1650 mercs?-check300_key3.jpg  
Old 11-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://teaguecustommarine.com/tcm-1365efi.html

1365hp or 1500hp with 1 year warrenty that you really won't need because Bob's engines stay together.

They are plug and play, he has provided boat manufactures with turn key packages for a real long time.

Bob and his guys are at all major events for support.

Shops all over the country can service and repair his engines.

TCM has these engines in stock.

TCM has been building reliable proven engines forever.

TCM is a major sponsor of all the big events and this website.

So many reasons why TCM should be considered.

MP
Old 11-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many innovative aftermarket ways to make big power. That's a lot of inches and pressurized induction for those standard size bearing journals. I'm sure way past what the GM engineers had in mind.

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 11-04-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Registered

I hear ya Summer. You obviously have experience throttling big power, understanding what your looking for places you ahead of the game on this subject ...

The "key" to making a 2400hp engine live happily in a boat is shown in Cougarsman's photos above. Hint, nice switch man.... You could easily change out those boost numbers with "time till rebuild" lol..

This modern ability to change power levels on the fly is what's hooked an old street racer on these damn Duramax diesels lately.. I'm a die hard Ford guy, that also hated the smell of diesel fuel 10 years ago. However I have enough smarts to spot good technology over brands. Tuning options that allow you to dial up or down a couple hundred extra horses on demand is advanced technology. Like running nitrous, without refilling the bottle...

Merc would be ahead of the game to promote "ONE" QC4v engine with a little switch on the dash that reads, 1100, 1300, 1600. Tie that to an hour meter that spins relative to those settings, and warranty it as such. Brings it all down to layman terms, bang for the buck, so anyone can understand what exactly they are paying for.

Until then, I still believe there is gold plated connecting rods in there.

Last edited by kidturbo; 11-04-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.