Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is the big deal about the 1350 and 1650 mercs? >

What is the big deal about the 1350 and 1650 mercs?

Notices

What is the big deal about the 1350 and 1650 mercs?

Old 11-02-2013, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

It would be a very interesting marketplace if the QC4V blocks and heads were availible (at a realistic base cost) to engine builders. too bad Merc Racing is following the corprate model that they are with regard to their warrantee policies - also explains why the classifieds have alot of big HP Merc boats going through a quick turn over - well sooner than one would have expected.... build a boat to your taste, turn over $300-$400k for " the latest and greatest" power, run it for a season and you come to the fork in the road where you sell it and start again or face upwards of $100k in rebuild costs.

Chief and Sterling are looking even better at this point for the same HP!

Realistically though, Merc is no different than the Auto industry chasing the bottom line. Chances are that parts (especially electronics) replaced under warranty on your daily driver are refurb not new... includes BMW. Benz and Audi
Old 11-02-2013, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
It's a piston engine, not a freaking warp drive. People should really shop around a bit more...
That should qualify for one of the top 10 quotes of the year! .. IMHO
Old 11-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a piston engine, not a freaking warp drive. People should really shop around a bit more...
I think you are absolutely right, everyone should buy some other power for their new boats!

At least until I get my new motors from Merc.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

S.O. I heard your getting a new Mti with new top secret Merc motors??
Old 11-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
S.O. I heard your getting a new Mti with new top secret Merc motors??
I have no idea what you are talking about. I definitely don't have the juice to get top secret anything from Merc!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
I have no idea what you are talking about. I definitely don't have the juice to get top secret anything from Merc!
I must have gotten some bull $hit info from a source with their wires crossed then.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:06 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Thanks for votes on the quote, but I can't take the credit for it. Originated from discussing the Merc specs and price with a friend who's built a few 1000+ HP engines.

Yes they are a pretty sweet engines, but by modern standards most tuners just don't find them that amazing for the asking price. Lamborghini tuners are getting same kinda reliable power out of 5.2L twin turbos on 93 octane, and pushing 1700hp on 115 in the same engine. Those won't cost ya 100k.

Switch over to alcohol or E85 fuel, and 1500hp is available in a reliable daily driver street racing package now. Then ya look into performance diesel, Banks can build ya one of these little 6.6L 1500hp @ 6500 monsters. He'd probably give ya a decent warranty with it, if your offering up that Merc Racing price.

The new QC4v Merc engines are a great deal for boat builders, ready to go, plug and pray, and OEM. But if ya wanta impress people, your gonna need to switch that one year warranty with a 200hr version. Cause until someone post's a pic of 100 plus hours on one, I sure wouldn't be praising them a whole bunch...

Last edited by kidturbo; 11-03-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 75 Likes on 25 Posts

How many hours are expected from 1100's when used recreationally? Real world,everyday boating. We boat every weekend in the summer,cruise to whatever destination at 40-50 mph with a few "blasts" along the way.Usually run a little harder on the way back,with a wide open run for a 30-40 seconds.One or two Poker Runs a year. Like most,I over maintain,oil and drive lube changed every 20-25 hours,and anything else that is even "suspect". I plan on a new boat soon,and was set on Merc 700's,but the 1100,s are on the radar. Can you get 200 or more hours out of the 1100's before needing any major work? When the time comes,what is needed,complete rebuild or top end refresh? I would think that some of the better,well known independent engine builders, will start to explore these engines,and get into the rebuild/refresh business,as they fall out of warranty,much like they did with the 1075's. Any first hand experience would be appreciated. Thanks,Jeff

Last edited by BONDO10; 11-03-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Registered

I would think 200 hours is a reasonable target. Mine have 50 something on them with no issues. I would contact Merc racing direct as there will be a lot of mis-information on these sites. If I remember correctly, after you send in the engines for overhaul by Merc, you get another warranty period. Again, I am not sure so call Merc racing and ask!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Registered

Thanks for votes on the quote, but I can't take the credit for it. Originated from discussing the Merc specs and price with a friend who's built a few 1000+ HP engines.

Yes they are a pretty sweet engines, but by modern standards most tuners just don't find them that amazing for the asking price. Lamborghini tuners are getting same kinda reliable power out of 5.2L twin turbos on 93 octane, and pushing 1700hp on 115 in the same engine. Those won't cost ya 100k.

Switch over to alcohol or E85 fuel, and 1500hp is available in a reliable daily driver street racing package now. Then ya look into performance diesel, Banks can build ya one of these little 6.6L 1500hp @ 6500 monsters. He'd probably give ya a decent warranty with it, if your offering up that Merc Racing price.

The new QC4v Merc engines are a great deal for boat builders, ready to go, plug and pray, and OEM. But if ya wanta impress people, your gonna need to switch that one year warranty with a 200hr version. Cause until someone post's a pic of 100 plus hours on one, I sure wouldn't be praising them a whole bunch...
That was my point earlier in the thread about the E85 stuff... Can make great power because the fuel is so forgiving it makes it more reliable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.