Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is the big deal about the 1350 and 1650 mercs? >

What is the big deal about the 1350 and 1650 mercs?

Notices

What is the big deal about the 1350 and 1650 mercs?

Old 11-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm wondering when Mercury Racing is going to introduce a QCV4 900hp engine. Seems there is a big market for engines in that category. Merc Racing goes 520, 525, 565, 600, 662, 700, then 1100. Doesn't make sense. I would think they will be introducing something new soon?
Old 11-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

A 1500hp gallardo has some pretty extreme turbo lag. Good luck using one of those in a boat.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kidturbo
You lucky dog

I only saw it in action from the sidelines hauling butt, then checked it out at the dock, admiring that 107 on the GPS... Love the layout of that boat, hope to explore it further in a few weeks if I get down south.

As for those 1350's, it's all about the low compression and some fine EFI tuning that makes them so tame at the dock. Ya just can't get that kind of control with carbs, takes a computer managing fueling.. Also those twin variable geometry turbos are 60% of what makes these motors. Ask any diesel hot rod guy what turned the oil burning industry around, no lag and smooth power across the total rpm range.

That said, get a well respected engine builder do ya a solid bottom end, work up some 4-V heads, add a pair of those VGT's topped off with a properly GEEK tuned EFI system, and you'll have equal power plus enough cash left over to build a new garage to park your boat in. Those things are so over priced I'd like to tear one down just to see if maybe they have gold plated rods in there..

It's a piston engine, not a freaking warp drive. People should really shop around a bit more...
If its so easy then DO IT. I have to give merc credit, I was very surprised that they developed their own block and heads. Joe Schmoe doesn't have the money or resources to do that, let alone well. I work in Diesel engine development for an oem and its tremendously expensive. If you think you can do it $10k you're insane, you won't do it for $100k or even a million. Get off your soapbox and prove me wrong.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by korvetkeith
If its so easy then DO IT. I have to give merc credit, I was very surprised that they developed their own block and heads. Joe Schmoe doesn't have the money or resources to do that, let alone well. I work in Diesel engine development for an oem and its tremendously expensive. If you think you can do it $10k you're insane, you won't do it for $100k or even a million. Get off your soapbox and prove me wrong.
Doesn't matter if they use aftermarket or their own if it doesn't last...
Old 11-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by korvetkeith
Jeeze, who punched your kitten?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Registered

Maybe that was extreme. I do agree that these motors are expensive.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

LOL That's ok, been there done that.

For many years I enjoyed building bad ass toys for a living. Street trim, full interior, fuel injected cars that run in the 9's, over 20 years ago. My forum name was actually given to me in 1990 by a street racing crowd in FLA, where a crew of us rolled up ready to throw down somewhere between Miami to Tampa every weekend for MANY years. Before I was old enough to legally drive, I used to ride a bike to a little place called Flagship Marine [ever hear of it] to hang out in the shop and hand parts or tools to the guys rigging race boats.

During 15 year as a professional tuner I worked on many racing part development projects with some small performance companies like AFR, NOS, Brodix, World Products, and Accel. Who built the first ever stand alone [NON-OEM] EFI setup. That would be the exact same "black box" engine control unit that Merc racing used on every EFI motor until just a few years ago. I owned the second DFI unit Accel ever produced. So your welcome, could still be running 750 double pumpers on the new 525's if not for guys like me.

I have great respect for Mercury Racing developments, and a total understanding of what it takes to make a 1000hp engine live long and purr like a kitten when ya want. So I'm not saying the QC4v is a cheap engine, it's just not some technological marvel as many think. It's a forged crank, billet rod, 8 pistons, 32 valves, 4 overhead cam [not even variable timing yet], with low compression ratio, fed by 2 variable geometry turbos, water to air intercooled, topped off with modern electronic fuel injection, that spins 6500 rpm's and makes 1000 to 1600hp.. Basically the same block and head design that Honda and Toyota has been putting in cars for over a decade, just bigger cubes. I can't help it GM hasn't caught up yet, they had the cash, remember we gave it to em...

Merc's done their R&D, made a nice clean package, so soon as I witness one with 200hrs on it without problems I'll be impressed. Until then, I can give you multiple contacts that will gladly build you an equal HP marinized engine with a limited warranty for about half that price. Switch to alky and I'll double those horses for that Merc price, then they can start work on a drive to handle it....

Last edited by kidturbo; 11-03-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

These guys will build ya a beautiful 2000hp race/ 1300hp pump gas 572 twin turbo fuel injected big block for under $50K
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/

Last edited by kidturbo; 11-03-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone keeps talking price. OK then, since I am building a new boat, someone quote me 1500hp (not 1350 because its sooooo easy to make that power) motors that will live for 200 hours and have more than a one year warranty and come with the entire driveline including a M8 drive or something steerable that can handle the power. Oh, and in the warranty is has to state that I will get a BRAND NEW motor if something happens under warranty.

I want to see REAL quotes, not some guesstimate of what they SHOULD cost.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way I'm not bashing here I am really curious if there are any real options out there.
And no "marinized" drag race stuff, two different applications here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.