Notices

Carbs vs FI... Pros/cons

Old 12-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam
I may switch someday but I would probably switch boats before changing an already great set up. Like SummerO said, we didn't have any issues around docks, in rough water, during the heat, and so on. If we would have had a crappy year, I would spend the $20k in a heart beat if it would make for a good year.

The only issue I had was during a 30 minute idle during the LOTO race weekend. That was 30 minute idle each way. My port motor loaded up and I had to change spark plugs. We started to have a similar issue during a long idle during Shootout weekend but I learned to idle on one motor while revving the other to keep that from happening.
If you're getting enough extra fuel at idle to load up the engine and foul plugs, then you're also washing down the cylinder walls, which will increase wear and effect ring seal. Eventually leading to blow by and contaminating your oil with combustion particles expediting bearing wear. That means less time between overhauls, and a potentially more expensive freshen up when it's due. You may not need EFI, but at a minimum I'd have someone try to clean up your idle if they can do it without the engine stalling when it goes in gear..
Old 12-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,079 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
If you're getting enough extra fuel at idle to load up the engine and foul plugs, then you're also washing down the cylinder walls, which will increase wear and effect ring seal. Eventually leading to blow by and contaminating your oil with combustion particles expediting bearing wear. That means less time between overhauls, and a potentially more expensive freshen up when it's due. You may not need EFI, but at a minimum I'd have someone try to clean up your idle if they can do it without the engine stalling when it goes in gear..
+1...
Old 12-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=TeamSaris;4034861 I'm fairly certain the day will come when Carb engines are like engines with Points....a thing of the past.[/QUOTE]

I had to gap some points last week and I had to go to Ebay to find a book of matches.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 405 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by brian41
I had to gap some points last week and I had to go to Ebay to find a book of matches.
I will lend you my dwell meter , just ask .
Old 12-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

+2

Bam, maybe power valve springs are weak and pulsing open with the blower lope at idle? That just came to me out of the blue, because I haven't tore into a big cfm holley in ages.

Saris, I'd love to see some screenshots from those latest DFI units. When Accel was developing that back in mid 90's, I was on the phone with them every day, till they finally sold me one before that first release. Man what a difference it was from burning chips and tricking a factory ECM. We made 850 hp from a small block with a fogger system using that new setup, and street driving was a dream.

Years later I noticed that same flat DFI serial plug on a friends race boat with factory Merc's. First words were, someone grab me a laptop and I'll show ya how to hack this sealed puppy... Just an all round good setup from day one, glad to see it remains popular today.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Originally Posted by kidturbo
+2

Bam, maybe power valve springs are weak and pulsing open with the blower lope at idle? That just came to me out of the blue, because I haven't tore into a big cfm holley in ages.

Saris, I'd love to see some screenshots from those latest DFI units. When Accel was developing that back in mid 90's, I was on the phone with them every day, till they finally sold me one before that first release. Man what a difference it was from burning chips and tricking a factory ECM. We made 850 hp from a small block with a fogger system using that new setup, and street driving was a dream.

Years later I noticed that same flat DFI serial plug on a friends race boat with factory Merc's. First words were, someone grab me a laptop and I'll show ya how to hack this sealed puppy... Just an all round good setup from day one, glad to see it remains popular today.
Its by far the best system we've used. We have used quite a few as well. Thruster, Gen7+, all fantastic. All our customers are thrilled with it. From 1500hp supercharged engines, to 450hp smallblocks.
Heres a shot of our bilge. Old school look, but idles, sifts, starts, backs timing out around 5400 (near our breakout speed), all kinds of stuff.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We built a new engine for our OPA Class 6 boat and decided to go with fuel injection. The ability to program the fuel map from idle to wide open throttle was the key for us as we are bracket racing and are trying to maximize our performance at various rpm's. Jason Saris of Performance Marine/Saris Racing Engines in NY supplied the ACCEL DFI system and did the initial programming on their dyno. The final programming was done on Lake George with engine in the boat. The throttle body and injectors were supplied by Marren Fuel Injection in Oxford, CT. The key to success with fuel injection is dealing with people who have experience with the system you buy. There is quite of bit of programming needed to get the map just right for your application. We have been thrilled with how our system performed this past season.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]513416[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]513417[/ATTACH]

My setup. Does it look like a big deal to go EFI?
Attached Thumbnails Carbs vs FI... Pros/cons-image-copy-5.jpg   Carbs vs FI... Pros/cons-both-eng.jpg  
Old 12-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Originally Posted by sbracing
We built a new engine for our OPA Class 6 boat and decided to go with fuel injection. The ability to program the fuel map from idle to wide open throttle was the key for us as we are bracket racing and are trying to maximize our performance at various rpm's. Jason Saris of Performance Marine/Saris Racing Engines in NY supplied the ACCEL DFI system and did the initial programming on their dyno. The final programming was done on Lake George with engine in the boat. The throttle body and injectors were supplied by Marren Fuel Injection in Oxford, CT. The key to success with fuel injection is dealing with people who have experience with the system you buy. There is quite of bit of programming needed to get the map just right for your application. We have been thrilled with how our system performed this past season.
Thanks for the kind words Champ!
Old 12-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Originally Posted by Orthobam
[ATTACH=CONFIG]513416[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]513417[/ATTACH]

My setup. Does it look like a big deal to go EFI?
Give Jason a shout tomorrow, he'd be happy to talk to you about your setup.
518-644-3080

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.