Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thetford vs. Dometic toilets >

Thetford vs. Dometic toilets

Notices

Thetford vs. Dometic toilets

Old 01-25-2014, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, we have reached an all time low here at OSO. You can tell it is a long cold hard winter, by the topic of conversation... It one of the hardest winters in 20 years (here in the Great Lakes region). I'd say the topic of discussion is at a 20 year low.......

Can you guess where I am at as I type this? Hint, I am using my cell phone and have a magazine rack immediately to my right....
Old 01-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
Well, we have reached an all time low here at OSO. You can tell it is a long cold hard winter, by the topic of conversation... It one of the hardest winters in 20 years (here in the Great Lakes region). I'd say the topic of discussion is at a 20 year low.......

Can you guess where I am at as I type this? Hint, I am using my cell phone and have a magazine rack immediately to my right....
Are you sitting on a Dometic then??

Are you using magazine print to wipe I don't think that will flush as well as my 100 dollar bills.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
You weren't complaining when I busted out a set of spark plugs for YOUR engines and a cordless drill with charger when you needed it lol

I`m surprised Eddie Young didn`t pop out of there ready to rebuild an engine right there at the dock!! "Ya`ll want me to convert this thing to EFI?.. I`ll need a few extra minutes then"
Old 01-25-2014, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

So started shopping for one of these to put up in the cockpit. On my 24. So many choices, do I want this vacuum flush thingy? Or the manual? What does pump out mean?

Why can't I just use an American Standard? My local lowes has them on sale. Guy said make sure I use an extra tall wax ring on the thru hull if it's going in a cigarette since they are laid up so thick.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^ If it's going in the cockpit, you'll need one of those changing station drapes that they use on pontoon boats, you know, for privacy. But if you're already at Lowe's, a shower curtain and some 2x4s are a decent alternative. Make sure you get treated lumber so it handles the weather.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
So started shopping for one of these to put up in the cockpit. On my 24. So many choices, do I want this vacuum flush thingy? Or the manual? What does pump out mean?

Why can't I just use an American Standard? My local lowes has them on sale. Guy said make sure I use an extra tall wax ring on the thru hull if it's going in a cigarette since they are laid up so thick.
Best option is to get a standard non pumpout style. Then, if you or someone needs to take a dump in it, you can just throw the whole porti potti overboard, go to walmart, and pick up a replacement. Beats cleaning the thing out.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
^^^^^^^^^^ If it's going in the cockpit, you'll need one of those changing station drapes that they use on pontoon boats, you know, for privacy. But if you're already at Lowe's, a shower curtain and some 2x4s are a decent alternative. Make sure you get treated lumber so it handles the weather.

Thanks. What GPH pump to I need to provide proper flush.? Should I use a sump pump off an inverter(I'm at lowes right now) or do I need to make a special trip for a marine pump???

I assume copper pipe with shark bites is the best plumbing for marine environment?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

I'm curious, if you had a turbine powered boat couldn't you macerate the poo and use it as fuel ?
Old 01-25-2014, 11:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Interceptor
I'm curious, if you had a turbine powered boat couldn't you macerate the poo and use it as fuel ?
Depending on the wing sauce and chilli content that could cause major ITT spikes. That's got hot section melt down written all over it. Better to just stick with gravity overboard discharge.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Thanks. What GPH pump to I need to provide proper flush.? Should I use a sump pump off an inverter(I'm at lowes right now) or do I need to make a special trip for a marine pump???

I assume copper pipe with shark bites is the best plumbing for marine environment?
That's only for Lake Michigan freshwater.
PVC schedule 40 is gonna hold up to saltwater better.
The formula for the pump GPH is- Top Speed minus cruise speed Multiplied by average number of uses per trip, carry the one, divided by bowl volume.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.