Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Budget boat for Lake Erie 22ft-29ft Suggestions? >

Budget boat for Lake Erie 22ft-29ft Suggestions?

Notices

Budget boat for Lake Erie 22ft-29ft Suggestions?

Old 02-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by mosi

Get me on the water in 'anything' and I guarantee that I will have a good time!!!

Thumbs up to that!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

In 1980 my dad bought a 233 Formula,single small block,we crossed Lake Erie from Leamington to Pelee in all kinds of weather boat always handled it,throttle back climbing 8 foot waves,when others wouldn't go. Flat out boat would run 40,and still does. I'd look into that 242 with twins, if it was my money,i was searching for one ten years ago but bought a cruiser instead.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Checkmate Convinor GTX 251

I have a 1989 Checkmate 251 Convincor. When I bought it it was being restored (new vinyl, etc.) but everything was left stripped. I rebuilt and upgraded it almost completely (gauges, exhaust, carb, graphics, stereo, wiring, tabs, trailer and more than I will occupy space here). Over a page of rebuild/upgrades. 2 labbed props- 3 blade Mirage plus and 4 blade Bravo One. Top speed is 69. Trailer with most all rebuilt as well.
Black sides with white and red, white interior & dash with red and red anodized hardware throughout. The black was professionally wet sanded and buffed this fall just before putting into storage. It glows!
I had it on Lake Erie for the Buffalo Poker Run 5 years and it got me out and back just fine.
.Asking $16000 but will deal . If interested I have about 30 pix so pm me with your email address and I can send them to you and give my #.

Last edited by WHIPLASH; 02-24-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WHIPLASH
I have a 1989 Checkmate 251 Convincor. When I bought it it was being restored (new vinyl, etc.) but everything was left stripped. I rebuilt and upgraded it almost completely (gauges, exhaust, carb, graphics, stereo, wiring, tabs, trailer and more than I will occupy space here). Over a page of rebuild/upgrades. 2 labbed props- 3 blade Mirage plus and 4 blade Bravo One. Top speed is 69. Trailer with most all rebuilt as well.
Black sides with white and red, white interior & dash with red and red anodized hardware throughout. The black was professionally wet sanded and buffed this fall just before putting into storage. It glows!
I had it on Lake Erie for the Buffalo Poker Run 5 years and it got me out and back just fine.
.Asking $16000 but will deal . If interested I have about 30 pix so pm me with your email address and I can send them to you and give my #.
Sent you a message
Old 02-24-2014, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

! had a 86 nova 2, twin 260's. I enjoyed it for 5 years before our family grew and we need additional sleeping areas We loved that boat, still do, our fountain we currently have my wife and I. comment on how the fountan lacks the "classic" lines of the nova we had, the teak windshield and swimplatform just set it off. We really enjoyed our nova. We shopped for a clean nova for years, there is alot of beaters out there, and when I went iand looked at it for 16K in 2006, I thought the owner was out of line on price..............until I seen it in person, we bought it ASAP, 4 years later we sold it for not much of a loss. I guess moral of the story of is, If you know what you want, get the funding available.........shop......wait for the right one. A clean nice solid clean boat will always be worth the wait.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Curious why so many Florida (assumed saltwater) boats are being recommended for a guy on a budget. Saltwater = maintenance nightmare for older boats in his budget.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by halfgassed
! had a 86 nova 2, twin 260's. I enjoyed it for 5 years before our family grew and we need additional sleeping areas We loved that boat, still do, our fountain we currently have my wife and I. comment on how the fountan lacks the "classic" lines of the nova we had, the teak windshield and swimplatform just set it off. We really enjoyed our nova. We shopped for a clean nova for years, there is alot of beaters out there, and when I went iand looked at it for 16K in 2006, I thought the owner was out of line on price..............until I seen it in person, we bought it ASAP, 4 years later we sold it for not much of a loss. I guess moral of the story of is, If you know what you want, get the funding available.........shop......wait for the right one. A clean nice solid clean boat will always be worth the wait.
I know I LOVE mine! Huge cockpit, classic lines and man does she handle rough stuff...Its like owning a water cadallac!

Last edited by Powerquest_Baby!!; 02-25-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
I know I LOVE mine! Huge cockpit, classic lines and man does she handle rough stuff...Its like owning a water cadallac!

What year was your boat? I thought most of them came with woodgrain doors to get into the cuddy
Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 PM
Registered

Last edited by BERUBE; 02-25-2014 at 08:57 PM. Reason: ....
Old 02-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nate2587
What year was your boat? I thought most of them came with woodgrain doors to get into the cuddy
1988. I dont have any visible wood in the boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.