I bought a new boat, any good? >

I bought a new boat, any good?

Notices

I bought a new boat, any good?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by rev.ronnie
Actually, nobody uses treated wood for boat construction, at least they better not. Treated wood contains oils, which resin will not adhere to properly. If they were having a problem with rot, they were not properly encapsulating the wood with resin and glass during construction. Some manufacturers leave the underside of the floors bare, and that can lead to problems even with marine grade plywood. The thought is that the wood can "breathe"... My pontoon had bare wood on the bottom. It rotted out from the top down though because of the water being held under that carpet.

Marine grade plywood is bonded under higher pressures than regular plywood, but it is still susceptible to rot if it's not installed correctly.

My buddy had a Crownline he bought as a repairable with a bad engine. After we finished the new engine, he almost kept the thing because he liked it so much. It sat very high for a 23 footer.

BTW, Knot 4 Me, that is a sharp looking boat. I'd love to have something just like that for the days down on the St. Croix.
Treated may have been an inaccurate term. I believe it was XL Marine Plywood. My boat came with some literature on it. I know when I had to cut through it with a hole saw that it gummed up pretty bad.

Thanks for the comment on the boat. It was pretty sharp looking and more than enough boat for our local pond. I also hit every part of LOTO in it with no issues. Put the tabs down a bit and it would nose through the rough stuff pretty good for what it was.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Man did this thread go South while I was down South! I'm really going to F it up now. Looked what I pulled out of storage yesterday! Now I done messed up a perfectly good Crownline thread with a Chaparral!

Don't care what boat you own or if you even own a boat at all. In my book, all you need to be is a fan of "offshore" (whatever that term means) and support it in whatever way you can within your means.
Attached Thumbnails I bought a new boat, any good?-offshore.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool boat good luck with it. I sold crownlines for D&R boats in newjersey. They started to sell them in 93 and sold a bunch of the 225cr with a big block . It was a fun boat to drive and have a cool look.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Man did this thread go South while I was down South! I'm really going to F it up now. Looked what I pulled out of storage yesterday! Now I done messed up a perfectly good Crownline thread with a Chaparral!

Don't care what boat you own or if you even own a boat at all. In my book, all you need to be is a fan of "offshore" (whatever that term means) and support it in whatever way you can within your means.
nice boat, I want to get an extended swim deck for mine