Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Changed to Amsoil and list oil pressure? >

Changed to Amsoil and list oil pressure?

Notices

Changed to Amsoil and list oil pressure?

Old 06-18-2014, 11:41 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

SB the water fuel filter is from the same company who makes most of the engines up here. Cut one open especially if it has not been changed in a year or two. In the bottom there is a round plastic / composite disc black in color about the size of a half dollar - it has a glued down heavy spring on top of the disc - like what some oil filters use then after that the filter media. the filter media is not even that big either.

After time with fuel sitting in the filter, the glue breaks down and then over a longer period of time the plastic / composite disc starts to break down. It foams some nasty gel in the filter plus pieces of the disc. FYI I have pics as well, I just cut one open a couple days ago to see how it faired. Less than a year old and glue was breaking down starting to form gel.

Last edited by BUP; 06-18-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 236eagle
I was using M1 5/50 and had 65lbs oil pressure then changed to 20/50 Amsoil and lost 25lbs of oil pressure ? What's up with that? Anyone else have this issue? I checked sending unit and it's working fine. I don't understand what happened. Your comments please. Thank you
Amsoil recommend you use their filters with their oil. I have used their oil and filters for years, no problems and great engine life. Glad you got your problem sorted.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:56 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,103 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
SB the water fuel filter is from the same company who makes most of the engines up here. Cut one open especially if it has not been changed in a year or two. In the bottom there is a round plastic / composite disc black in color about the size of a half dollar - it has a glued down heavy spring on top of the disc - like what some oil filters use then after that the filter media. the filter media is not even that big either.

After time with fuel sitting in the filter, the glue breaks down and then over a longer period of time the plastic / composite disc starts to break down. It foams some nasty gel in the filter plus pieces of the disc. FYI I have pics as well, I just cut one open a couple days ago to see how it faired. Less than a year old and glue was breaking down starting to form gel.
And the bad company is ? And the good one you found ?
Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by skydog
Ph5 fram JUNK man don't run them. Wix or napa gold same filter good stuff
Google Fram filter collapse, you'd be amazed at what you'll find. Wix is what we run on our drag engines, never an issue.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:06 AM
Registered

Fram=no good. I will bet you I have heard of at least 12 situations of the same that came down to Fram filter. When working at the engine shop we had 2 motors that would not even prime on the dyno with a Fram filter. First one we thought was a fluke but it bit us again. No damage done priming with drill. Always made sure we had oil pressure there before firing motor for first time. Napa Gold/Wix racing are the only thing I will run.. Napa sells fuel/water separator filters too..
Old 06-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by SGERR828
Fram=no good. I will bet you I have heard of at least 12 situations of the same that came down to Fram filter. When working at the engine shop we had 2 motors that would not even prime on the dyno with a Fram filter. First one we thought was a fluke but it bit us again. No damage done priming with drill. Always made sure we had oil pressure there before firing motor for first time. Napa Gold/Wix racing are the only thing I will run.. Napa sells fuel/water separator filters too..
+1. Use Wix/Napa Gold oil and fuel/water filters for years with zero issues.