Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I have a wedding or I would probably be on someone's boat lol
Old 08-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I think your assessment is on in that it broke a rod bolt, which then caused all hell to break loose.
I didn't see it specified in the link, but those rods probably have ARP 8740 bolts, which are the cheaper bolts. Personally, I won't use the 8740 bolts. Even if I use an import set of rods, I still go for the 2000 bolts.

You mentioned using Eagle crank and rods in the rebuild. IMO, there are much better choices out there in the same price range. But that's my opinion. I will not use Eagle's stuff. I know there are quite a few other builders that feel the same way.

Sorry about your troubles. Sounds like you aren't to upset, so that's good. Good luck with it.
Eddie
Originally Posted by Full Force
Thanks yes my best buddy knows his bbc stuff and has procharged 509's making 750-800 hp that live... He's very good builder I will be doing whatever he advises also... Gotta research what's out there
Not for nothing, I don't know who your builder is......but if Mr Eddie Young is offering advice, I would listen.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

My lunch time Google search found many references to the PBM H-Beams coming from Scat. I do not know if it's true or not but that is what I found thru 'La La Land.' in 10 minutes.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 4bus
Not for nothing, I don't know who your builder is......but if Mr Eddie Young is offering advice, I would listen.
Absolutely, I will upgrade bolts for sure and research if the rods are as good as any other in the price range, the pbm may be a lower end but are they actually a "bad" choice? That's what I gotta see and research
Old 08-18-2014, 11:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think your assessment is on in that it broke a rod bolt, which then caused all hell to break loose.
I didn't see it specified in the link, but those rods probably have ARP 8740 bolts, which are the cheaper bolts. Personally, I won't use the 8740 bolts. Even if I use an import set of rods, I still go for the 2000 bolts.

You mentioned using Eagle crank and rods in the rebuild. IMO, there are much better choices out there in the same price range. But that's my opinion. I will not use Eagle's stuff. I know there are quite a few other builders that feel the same way.

Sorry about your troubles. Sounds like you aren't to upset, so that's good. Good luck with it.
Eddie
What do you recommend in a budget situation? What's your knowledge of pbm or who makes them? Any clue?
Old 08-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Callies compstar is well worth the relatively small price gap
Old 08-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
What do you recommend in a budget situation? What's your knowledge of pbm or who makes them? Any clue?
I have never used any of PBM's parts, so I can't really comment either way. I have used plenty of Scat rods and cranks. They are decent and certainly have their place as stock replacement parts. As with anything, you get what you pay for. As Lil Red mentioned, the Callies Compstar is well worth the small up-charge. They offer rods in both an H beam and an I beam. The H beam rods are a few hundred cheaper and would be more than sufficient for what you are doing. However, you have to think about the future. Do you ever think you may want more power in the future? If so, make sure you plan for it. What I'm saying is don't buy parts good enough for 600 hp when you think there is a chance (however slight it may be) that you may want to make 700 hp in the future. It would make more sense to spend a few hundred more now instead of starting over later. You can't put to good of parts in the bottom end. That is the building block of the entire build, so it makes sense to do it right. You will never regret over building the bottom end.
Eddie
Old 08-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have never used any of PBM's parts, so I can't really comment either way. I have used plenty of Scat rods and cranks. They are decent and certainly have their place as stock replacement parts. As with anything, you get what you pay for. As Lil Red mentioned, the Callies Compstar is well worth the small up-charge. They offer rods in both an H beam and an I beam. The H beam rods are a few hundred cheaper and would be more than sufficient for what you are doing. However, you have to think about the future. Do you ever think you may want more power in the future? If so, make sure you plan for it. What I'm saying is don't buy parts good enough for 600 hp when you think there is a chance (however slight it may be) that you may want to make 700 hp in the future. It would make more sense to spend a few hundred more now instead of starting over later. You can't put to good of parts in the bottom end. That is the building block of the entire build, so it makes sense to do it right. You will never regret over building the bottom end.
Eddie
Totally agree, I don't see making more power really them 600 ish the transmissions and drives won't take it I would have a different boat at that point I think the power level I'm at is sufficient for this boat (35 cigarette mistress)
Old 08-18-2014, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer Dude!! Good luck w the rebuild!!!
Old 08-18-2014, 02:11 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Full Force,

The PBM connecting rod is a Scat with either a 8740 or 2000 bolt depending upon how it was optioned.

Secondly if you look at the connecting rod, what’s left of the bearing in both the upper shell area and the rod cap exhibit extreme bluing from excessive heat. The considerable heat buildup in that area resulted in the bearing grabbing the crankshaft, at that point the rod and bolts failed as a result of the bearing seizing. It appears the connecting rod assembly may be collateral damage rather than the root cause the failure.

Looking at the second photo it also appears a fracture occurred right in the radius of the rod bolt seat which would be consistent with a connecting rod seizure at the journal.

It’s a bit difficult to analyze from just these two pictures, however it would appear that this may not have been a parts related failure. If you shoot me over couple more pictures I’d be happy to take a look at them for you.

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.