Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any 1st time boat owners that launched their boat solo the lst time out? >

Any 1st time boat owners that launched their boat solo the lst time out?

Notices

Any 1st time boat owners that launched their boat solo the lst time out?

Old 08-23-2014, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your name wouldn't happen to be Gino, would it?
Old 08-23-2014, 05:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

235 is WAY too high. The alarm didn't go off? Could you touch the risers? Was there much water coming out the tips?

Overall, the launch and retreival didn't sound too bad.

I'll say it again, FLOAT the boat OFF, and back ON the trailer unless you don't have the choice.

As far as the SO. Mine isn't much help either, nor is my 14 yr. old son. My daughter on the other hand is a great helper.

My SO's job after the boat FLOATS off the trailer and I tie it up is to make sure it doesn't hit up against the dock while I park the truck. I don't bother with fenders at the ramp.

Same thing when we return. Everybody gets off the boat, wife keeps it from hitting the dock (an occasional nudge is all that is required) while I go get the truck. Then I FLOAT it on the trailer while she holds the back rope to make sure the transom doesn't swing out too far.

Last edited by Dave M; 08-23-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
Your name wouldn't happen to be Gino, would it?
No Gino here.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
235 is WAY too high. The alarm didn't go off? Could you touch the risers? Was there much water coming out the tips?

Overall, the launch and retreival didn't sound too bad.

I'll say it again, FLOAT the boat OFF, and back ON the trailer unless you don't have the choice.

As far as the SO. Mine isn't much help either, nor is my 14 yr. old son. My daughter on the other hand is a great helper.

My SO's job after the boat FLOATS off the trailer and I tie it up is to make sure it doesn't hit up against the dock while I park the truck. I don't bother with fenders at the ramp.

Same thing when we return. Everybody gets off the boat, wife keeps it from hitting the dock (an occasional nudge is all that is required) while I go get the truck. Then I FLOAT it on the trailer while she holds the back rope to make sure the transom doesn't swing out too far.
Alarm did go off but not until the motor was off and I refired it....I didn't know it was a temp warning. I thought I only had a low oil pressure alarm? I killed the motor and refired and the alarm stopped. I putted along at about 1500 rpms, and the temp dropped 175-ish which is where it stayed until I got over 3000 rpms, but at the end of the trip, temp actually stayed down while on plane/cruising....3800-ish.

I'm researching potential heating problems now.

Impeller new this spring. EMT Thunder stainless headers/exhaust. Mild cam. B ravo 1 now, not the 3. Freshwater boat it's whole life. 500 hrs on boat, 50 on motor, allegedly.

I'm reading that a blown head gasket is a symptom of overheating above 3000 rpms? Any thoughts? Guess I should start a new thread.

Also, notice the starboard side exhaust bellow is partially collapsed? Is than an issue?
It also seemed to blow more steam out that side, which I thought I read was somewhat normal for one side to blow more steam than the other.

Last edited by motoracerx; 08-23-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 601 Likes on 244 Posts

Starboard hose is collapsed because it has been cooked from overheating. Run it on the hose and look at how much water comes out both sides and compare.

Risers should not be clogged being it was a freshwater boat but who knows maybe it went to Florida for Springbreak one time.

I would take the powersteering cooler off and back flush it and pull the risers and check them too. Aslo check thermostat .
Old 08-23-2014, 07:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Starboard hose is collapsed because it has been cooked from overheating. Run it on the hose and look at how much water comes out both sides and compare.

Risers should not be clogged being it was a freshwater boat but who knows maybe it went to Florida for Springbreak one time.

I would take the powersteering cooler off and back flush it and pull the risers and check them too. Aslo check thermostat .
The powersteering steering wasn't so 'powerful' today. I compare it to an old 69 chevy pickup with manual steering.

I believe I heard water boiling on that collapsed bellow side too when the alarm went off.

Power steering cooler could cause overheating? Blockage I assume?
Old 08-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 601 Likes on 244 Posts

Broken off pieces of old water pump impellers will lodge in it and restrict flow through it especially at higher speeds.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your water pickup at the transom. Follow intake hose from seawater pump to rear (inside) transom. Its two 11mm bolts, common problem they clog. Also do what was also said above me. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:51 PM
Registered

You realized your mistakes & we all have made a few , that means now you can learn from them . You got some good advice here & the only two cents I can add is make sure you winch all the way tight to the stop with the bow & make sure you have a safety chain or strap up there also , never rely on a winch lock alone . Best of luck with the new boat , a few more launches & you will be a pro
Old 08-24-2014, 05:34 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=tommymonza;4176664]Starboard hose is collapsed because it has been cooked from overheating. Run it on the hose and look at how much water comes out both sides and compare. QUOTE]

What sucks about that is, that exhaust hose was collapsed when I bought the boat last week. That motor pic I posted, is a pic from the sellers' ad. Sooooo, he knew it had an overheating issue.

And I didn't know enough to have recognized that as a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.