Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any 1st time boat owners that launched their boat solo the lst time out? >

Any 1st time boat owners that launched their boat solo the lst time out?

Notices

Any 1st time boat owners that launched their boat solo the lst time out?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after inspecting the motor again, I have a power steering leak. Reservoir was empty and fluid in the bilge. Maybe its the power steering cooler leaking? I also had a gallon (or a little more) of water in the bilge after the 3 hr voyage yesterday.

Can a power steering fluid leak and possible water leak at the power steering cooler = overheating on starboard side?

I don't see how in the wide world of sports I'm gonna be able to get to the power steering cooler or impeller housing. Or the inlet hose at the transom. This thing is going to a mechanic. I thought inline 4-cyl motorcycle engines were tight and compact. My head won't even fit between the exhaust and the sides of the engine compartment...and if it did, my eyeballs would be like an inch away from what I would be trying to look at, and I'd be looking upside down.

It seems easier to take the motor out to check everything. Complete motor flush. Complete water cooling system check/flush. Impeller/housing replacement. Change plugs. Remove/inspect exhaust. Check for any oil leaks. Inspect drive, shift cable bellows. Gimbal bearing....etc...

I'll bite the bullet. Have it professionally gone through. Peace of mind and save myself lotsa aggravation. I work 12-14hr days hard labor (concrete construction) and just don't have the time or desire. Hell, it took me 4 days this week to change out 4 trim tab hydraulic lines between my work and moving my daughter into college 3 hrs away.

Looking back, I should've had a marine survey before buying the boat. I had a survey done on another boat a few months ago that cost me $600, and I decided not to buy that boat because of the findings. I got a really good deal on this boat. It runs good and smooth (when not overheating). Clean. '09 Heritage trailer with electric brakes. I got it for about 1/2 of what my bank said it was worth, so I can stand to put some money into it without it hurting my feelings. lol.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if somebody forgot to drain the power steering cooler during winterization and it cracked. Did you notice the bilge pump coming on at all during the water test? Fortunately, in the grand scheme of things that does not seem that big a problem. If the cooler was cracked, your water pressure would be low and could explain your high temperature.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by donzi matt
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if somebody forgot to drain the power steering cooler during winterization and it cracked. Did you notice the bilge pump coming on at all during the water test? Fortunately, in the grand scheme of things that does not seem that big a problem. If the cooler was cracked, your water pressure would be low and could explain your high temperature.
I didn't notice the bilge pump coming on. It has a Rhule pump and it does work when manually turned on.

Too bad my power steering cooler isn't like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXfh0tIf7JI

Last edited by motoracerx; 08-24-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

Look at it this way it can only get better from here.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to boat ownership!!! It's a love/hate relationships for me!!
Old 08-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 601 Likes on 244 Posts

[QUOTE=motoracerx;4176801]
Originally Posted by tommymonza
Starboard hose is collapsed because it has been cooked from overheating. Run it on the hose and look at how much water comes out both sides and compare. QUOTE]

What sucks about that is, that exhaust hose was collapsed when I bought the boat last week. That motor pic I posted, is a pic from the sellers' ad. Sooooo, he knew it had an overheating issue.

And I didn't know enough to have recognized that as a problem.
It also may be that the exhaust outlets in the transom and the exhaust risers do not line up ( which could be a good possibility since the manifolds and risers are aftermarket and the boat did not come from the factory with them)

I have had to struggle to work with a predicament as an exhaust alignment problem in a cruiser before and the secret is to cut the hose a little long and bow it to make it lineup .. But the bow created can collapse through time or an overheat . Does the exhaust hose look like it is older? what about the exhaust itself it looks like it has some corrosion on it for being a freshwater boat.

If it was overheating owner may have not known the difference either.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Registered

Not a bad idea about having the whole motor gone over by a qualified mechanic. The overheating can be from a list of things. Anything that would cause a loss in water flow/pressure. That could be a cracked something or leaky something. It could also be from any type of blockage. Even fresh water boats can get blockage due to silt/mud buildup inside of them.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Registered

I'll bite the bullet. Have it professionally gone through. Peace of mind and save myself lotsa aggravation. I work 12-14hr days hard labor (concrete construction) and just don't have the time or desire. Hell, it took me 4 days this week to change out 4 trim tab hydraulic lines between my work and moving my daughter into college 3 hrs away.

LOL -TO MAKE YOU FEEL A LITTLE BETTER,
MY BUDDY SPENT 9K ON A NEW PAINT JOB ON HIS BOAT LAST FALL - ITS 8-24-14 AND HE HASN'T EVEN GOT IT OUT OF STORAGE YET
HE RUNS HIS OWN CONST. COMPANY TOO.
I ASK -HE JUST SHAKES HIS HEAD - HE HAS A '60 VETTE AND A HARLEY, TOO - JUST SAYS 'WHY DID I GO TO WORK FOR MYSELF??LOL
GOOD LUCK WITH ALL YOUR FUTURE BOAT BOATING ADVENTURES
Old 08-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JETTDOGG

LOL -TO MAKE YOU FEEL A LITTLE BETTER,
MY BUDDY SPENT 9K ON A NEW PAINT JOB ON HIS BOAT LAST FALL - ITS 8-24-14 AND HE HASN'T EVEN GOT IT OUT OF STORAGE YET
HE RUNS HIS OWN CONST. COMPANY TOO.
I ASK -HE JUST SHAKES HIS HEAD - HE HAS A '60 VETTE AND A HARLEY, TOO - JUST SAYS 'WHY DID I GO TO WORK FOR MYSELF??LOL
GOOD LUCK WITH ALL YOUR FUTURE BOAT BOATING ADVENTURES
Too true. I have a 2013 H-D Night Rod special that I bought brand new at the end of June 2013. I didn't get my 1000 mile service on it til July of this year.

Putting money into this boat is just status quo for me. I'm used to throwing money at stuff with relatively low return.
I've slowly drifted into motorcycle roadracing retirement after 20+yrs of it.
That's expensive too. $800 for tires each wknd, entry fees/registration, travel expenses, hotel, crashing, fixing, crashing and fixing again. Missed work. Injuries. Repeat.

I like to have stuff so when the opportunity arises I can go just go. If I have the time and desire to go for a Harley ride, bam , it's there. If I wanna suit up on an early sunday morning and jump on the GSXR 1000 and carve up some backroads with some buddies, bam, it's there. If I wanna load up the van and trailer and drive to Florida for a race weekend, the racebikes are there and I go. If I wanna hookup the boat and hit the lake.....well, I'll just have to wait for that. lol.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
Not a bad idea about having the whole motor gone over by a qualified mechanic. The overheating can be from a list of things. Anything that would cause a loss in water flow/pressure. That could be a cracked something or leaky something. It could also be from any type of blockage. Even fresh water boats can get blockage due to silt/mud buildup inside of them.
I'm hoping that it isn't and can't imagine it being something major. The motor purrs like a kitten and stayed cool under 3000 rpms. It got up on plane just fine, no hesitation, no bogging down, cruised at 3500-3800 rpm (albeit for just a minute or two) until the temp went up.

No water in oil. No oil leaks. No burning/smelling of fluids, other than the power steering leak.

The boat is already at the shop. I only know this shop through a co-worker who has a 30' something Fountain and this mechanic does all his work. The shop owner/mechanic has several high performance boats and a nice facility.

There really aren't many boat places around Cincinnati other than a handful of dealers. And I can assume that a taking a boat to a boat dealer is no different than taking your truck or car to a stealership.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.