2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Old 11-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 601 Likes on 244 Posts

[QUOTE=phragle;4213504]
Originally Posted by tommymonza

phrf ratings for powerboats???
a loose one , why not ?

Be interesting to a least do a working model from the entrants and spread that are thinking of participating.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
I believe you guys are overthinking things.... its a long open water race. big exotic powerplants are more than likely a liability not an asset
I agree... I'll start next to miss geico if that's how the cards play. The race isn't against everyone else it is against yourself. Imo...
Old 11-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Jim and I ran the 28 skater in the Bimini challenge a few years ago and the only boat infront of us at the turn in Bimini was Teague in a canopied race boat. He was 1 minuite 6 seconds ahead of us at the turn so when we turned we floored it and were going to try to catch him but then broke the gear case. It was too rough for the big boats to go fast and we were in basically a go cart so we could accelerate up the wave then stop at the top and accelerate down the other side faster then the big boats could. So I would not get too hung up on sizes and classes.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by PigNaPoke
I agree... I'll start next to miss geico if that's how the cards play. The race isn't against everyone else it is against yourself. Imo...
Im liking how my wheelman thinks... considering I have won the baja 1000 and have a couple 24 hour endurance records......
Old 11-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phragle, you won the Baja 1000????? Wow that's impressive
What year and class?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

1988 class 23 teamed with Tom Sullivan. ATV.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

The reason I'm suggesting this handicap system is to try to equalize things in a SIMPLE WAY. You would need so many classes just in VEE in order to make things even slightly competetive . I believe the spirit of this race is to do some old school OFFSHORE RACING ! You cant do that unless you get some old school raceboats to come out and race with the current raceboats . When I started racing in 1992 , I ran a 1978 28 MAGNUM with 1300hp and still got my ass handed to me on a regular basis by newer , faster hulls with the same power. Hoping other guys break or go off course gets old after awhile , since you are trying to do the best you can with what you can afford . Giving older , smaller boats a head start is like having an inverted start at your local circle tracks , that guy with the older , slower? car is gonna drive like hell to stay out front and a lot of times they pull it off ! AND THE CROWD LOVES IT !!! Some of the guys that enter this will probably be rookies to actual racing ( not racing your friend to the other side of the lake ) and will come away with a whole new perspective of what competition really is . Lets make everyone feel like they have a shot and hopefully , they'll come back for more!!!!
Old 11-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

jOK just back home from the boat show......very quiet and peaceful going on the last day. Everyone was willing to chat for a while.

I see the thread has been active and seems to be drifitng toward rules and regulations already. Stop!

Let's see how many boats are interested in doing this.
Next we get feeback from the sponsor as to what they would,like to see as a minimum count. Remember they will be putting money up for promotion in the NY Metro area....so what would make good press coverage from their point of view.
Next we get feedback from the TV people on what resources are needed to cover this fully...Not just the lead boats, but everyone who is out there running. That is what made Needle Nose films so good back in the day, they covered everyone. Thise films are now available from Big Seas.

Then we get to rules and see if we can come up with rules, that will allow as many boats as possible to run.
I met some people at the show who didn't know about this and now we have 3 more boats interested. Let's keep the positive flow going, this is going to be the start of something big and lots of fun.

Last edited by Top Banana; 11-03-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=suss1173;4213464]
Originally Posted by PARASAIL941
Here's an idea...... One Vee class , no restrictions except a REAL SIMPLE handicap system. On a 270 mile race , Add 3 minutes to start time for every foot over 35' boat length , subtract 3 min for every foot under 35'. Add 1.5 minutes to start time for every year above 2000 model year , subtract 1.5 min for every year below 2000. DONE!!! Example.... A 1985 24' Banana would earn a 51 min head start ( 30 min for length , 21 for age ). A 2000 35' no handicap . A 2010 Outerlimits 42' would earn a 31.5 min delay ( 18 min for length , 13.5 min for age ) . Try this with a couple boats on paper and they look to be very close at the finish , depending on conditions. This would give the guys with older boats and guys with smaller boats a fighting chance , instead of feeling defeated in the first 10 minutes of the race . When you sign up , you get a start time . SIMPLE , NO ENGINE RULES NEEDED. QUOTE]

This sounds like a simple and workable solution (IMO).

I call my buddies at NASA to figure this out. While I do appreciate the input, Charlie is trying to figure out the interest and a reasonable classes divisions. I do like his idea to get some feedback. So.. what the heII here's mine.
While a handicap system is not a bad idea, getting a fare rating is next to impossible. Length; Marketed length? (W/swim platforms? ) Include the extra foot of the beaks? Age? (IE: mine is an 08 with an old school hull). Steps? Some "new " boats have no steps. THis is a long hull race. Many of these "Handicap" issues have no relevance. Top speed? HP? to get a rating, most would uhhhm well.. lol distort the reality to get a better handicap. As far as the final class or divisions, this will need a lot of work, and collecting ideas, and preferences. Unless you done some "marathon' runs, and off shore when you cant see any of the skyline, you really don't understand this. Don't want to get into the classes at this time, (I will later) but I do suggest two major divisions. Race boats and pleasure/poker runners. WHile some "pleasure boats" can outperform many race boats, it should still be a division so many weekend warriors would more likely to jump in.
First, question about the interest, or entry count, no matter what class designation will be finalized. Second, provide a marketing plan to get exposure. Third. Separate boats with no refueling and with. YOur boat may be super fast but if you need to refuel you will loose at least min. 1/2 hour, (I guess) A slower boat can win with a bigger gas tank. So there are a lot of variables, this is not an all equal race. THis is a challenge just to finish and do it. If I could get the boat up and back, I would be all over it and I WILL work on it. Fourth, Cats and V's are dif. division. Top end and HP is not a major difference, Length and able to handle whatever the seas through at you for a long time. IS. So if you got 1050's or 1350's at the end of the day, not a big difference.

PS. Promoting the event. I would just ask everyone to do whatever they can to get the word out. FB, twitter. other forums etc. Charlie want's this, but let's help him a little. "Spread the word".. Thx. P

Last edited by PARADOX; 11-03-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to enter a 1934 26' with triple 502s. I think I just won already

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.