Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
MDC Drive Guardian Update- One Year Later. >

MDC Drive Guardian Update- One Year Later.

Notices

MDC Drive Guardian Update- One Year Later.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Just checking as I am following along here, is Got Freedom - Mike C ?
Yes ��
Old 04-25-2017, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Very interested in this!

The ultimate test would be get a twin engine bravo boat and install it on one engine but not the other. See how much longer the drive with it lasts.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
Very interested in this!

The ultimate test would be get a twin engine bravo boat and install it on one engine but not the other. See how much longer the drive with it lasts.
No doubt, but the problem is finding someone to volunteer to let a Bravo blow up - It would be painful to let the one die, while it's brother is sitting there protected...lol
Old 04-26-2017, 05:48 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Very interested in this!

We thought about doing that, really did. Just couldn't bring ourselves to do it. We do have a set of gears from a year with and a set from a year without to compare side-by-side, the results are outstanding. The pictures are posted on OSO.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Hang Time 27
I don't have big power, or a heavy hull, but love to run the chop here in the Chesapeake Bay. Below are three videos that show the kind of water that has been a drive killer for me over the years. Not much jumping, just waves close together with troughs deep enough to air out the prop for some slip and grab - without the hull lifting - so there is nothing to coordinate your throttle hand with.
I know what you mean about the conditions on the bay. Not like you are throttling over big swells. I went through 2 bravos in a short time on my Superboat. I was running a 5 blade prop too which was probably making things worse. Good luck with the DG.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Im in the middle of an overhaul on our 382 and one of the biggest issues I had was blowing through Bravos. Mercury Racing 600s direct coupled to Stelling drive shafts with no coupler left nothing to take the shock, other than the poor Bravo gears. I think we have blown 6 or 8 drives in about 300 hours. Im done with Bravos and my plan is to go with IMCO SCX upper and lowers with the drive guardian. That being said, ive got a bunch of broken bravos in our hanger where we keep the boats in Florida. I might be willing to donate one as a science project for this purpose ha. It would HAVE to be someone who plans to blow it up with no drive guardian and have a drive guardian on the other side.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Im in the middle of an overhaul on our 382 and one of the biggest issues I had was blowing through Bravos. Mercury Racing 600s direct coupled to Stelling drive shafts with no coupler left nothing to take the shock, other than the poor Bravo gears. I think we have blown 6 or 8 drives in about 300 hours. Im done with Bravos and my plan is to go with IMCO SCX upper and lowers with the drive guardian. That being said, ive got a bunch of broken bravos in our hanger where we keep the boats in Florida. I might be willing to donate one as a science project for this purpose ha. It would HAVE to be someone who plans to blow it up with no drive guardian and have a drive guardian on the other side.
Are you moving the box down and getting rid of the Stellings drive shaft system ?
Old 04-26-2017, 03:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Got Freedom, you gotta take him up on that offer - maybe post a thread to that effect to find a volunteer. The DG could then be added on the second side after the drive blows, so you only have to blow one, and then track how much longer the other drive lasts, the one that always had the DG. Fantastic real world demo. For that matter, Team Saris could take him up on the offer too - except you would then KNOW you were going to have to give up a race to a blown drive - not sure that's worth it even if the drive is free....

PS, I still have a shed full of good nose coned lower TRS cases, full of blown gears, and uppers, mostly with good gears, for those TRS guys that don't want a DG yet, lol.....

Last edited by Hang Time 27; 04-26-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Is there anyone that broke an XR with mounted driveguardian??
I have only found good infos about DG.
At moment i mount in Baja 275 and 662 SCi an new XR Drive out of the box.Read much here and have now ordered an DG for this setup in the hope my XR with tank it to me!
regards.
Michael

Old 03-20-2018, 10:09 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

get someone that has a twin engine Bravo app - and if they are buying the DG install one only. Maybe OSO members donate some money to the person doing the testing. If we had 100 people and each gave 50 to 100 bucks person that would be 5 K to 10 K. Find a trust worthy person with a twin Bravo app - and both bravo's apples to apples time on them or even new. Just saying

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.