Notices

Why so few young people?

Old 12-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Jesus! I thought almost 10K/year was high. Are your streets paved in Gold over there Drew? Time to move buddy!
I'm on a 15 year plan. By then all kids done with school and me close to retire. Take my money move some place warm with water near by and live life with my empty nest hahaa. I'm trying to take after the Mexicans . Take the New York money and live in a cheaper area
Old 12-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Jesus! I thought almost 10K/year was high. Are your streets paved in Gold over there Drew? Time to move buddy!
Not sure if you have ever come to NY. But they have got to be the worst roads in the us. Potholes that can crack your wheels. That's no lie. So bad
Old 12-05-2014, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew555
I'm on a 15 year plan. By then all kids done with school and me close to retire. Take my money move some place warm with water near by and live life with my empty nest hahaa. I'm trying to take after the Mexicans . Take the New York money and live in a cheaper area
The only issue is Porta-vi-shanty-town is not going to have the medical you will want and need in your older years. Kind of suck you wait your whole life to get there and die of a common cold because the local witch doctor treated you with chicken asses.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:46 AM
bwd
Registered

I grew up hanging out in my neighbor's garage tinkering with cars , boats, sleds and even the lawnmowers. Every time the Billy's door opened I would drop what I was doing and go over. I could be swimming in the lake with my friends, I would jump out and in 1 minute, be standing ,dripping wet at the door asking if I could help. Things are certainly more money these days, but I just don't see young people ( kids ) having that interest. They would rather play video games. My neighbor has a teenager, nice kid from what I know. On terrific sunny days I never see him except to mow the lawn which his Grandfather makes him. I know that sour look well. When my garage door is open its not the kid that comes over to check things out its the grandfather and its the neighborhood adults. I just don't see any John Milner types growing up anymore. Not many at least.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 779 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by bwd
I grew up hanging out in my neighbor's garage tinkering with cars , boats, sleds and even the lawnmowers. Every time the Billy's door opened I would drop what I was doing and go over. I could be swimming in the lake with my friends, I would jump out and in 1 minute, be standing ,dripping wet at the door asking if I could help. Things are certainly more money these days, but I just don't see young people ( kids ) having that interest. They would rather play video games. My neighbor has a teenager, nice kid from what I know. On terrific sunny days I never see him except to mow the lawn which his Grandfather makes him. I know that sour look well. When my garage door is open its not the kid that comes over to check things out its the grandfather and its the neighborhood adults. I just don't see any John Milner types growing up anymore. Not many at least.
I completely agree with you. I really am convinced it's just a shift in mentality. I don't know a single one of my friends who change their own oil. Some can't even drive stick. If you showed them pictures of a camaro, gto, chevelle, roadrunner, cobra, ferrari GTO - not ONE of them could name even one of those cars. It's nothing against them, they have been friends of mine for 3 decades, but it's just a commentary on the shift in culture and change in recreational habits.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I completely agree with you. I really am convinced it's just a shift in mentality. I don't know a single one of my friends who change their own oil. Some can't even drive stick. If you showed them pictures of a camaro, gto, chevelle, roadrunner, cobra, ferrari GTO - not ONE of them could name even one of those cars. It's nothing against them, they have been friends of mine for 3 decades, but it's just a commentary on the shift in culture and change in recreational habits.
Hey now......I can change my own oil but you will never catch me doing it lol.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 434 Likes on 194 Posts

I can remember going to Street Rod Nationals as far back as 5, or 6? That was family vacation some years. I'm pretty sure that's where it started. Being surrounded by the stuff, and encouraged and shown how to build things from a young age, it takes hold and leads to some outrageous money spending habbits that involve boating.....

Also, having grandparents that lived on Lake Erie always encouraged water exploration on the weekends at a young age.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 1,340 Likes on 748 Posts

I figured it was coming, back in the mid ninties I worked at a large medical device company. The young engineers I worked with used to look at my "old" Chevy and ask why would I want something so old?

It was a 1969 427 vette.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew555
Try 26k. I'm surprised I can even own 1 boat
Well we also have a vacation home. Total for property tax all due 1/31? $38K this year. Unbelievable.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
Well we also have a vacation home. Total for property tax all due 1/31? $38K this year. Unbelievable.
For that much, it must either be a really nice vacation home, or the town is giving you some really good reach arounds....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.