Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are there any 25' to 30' V Bottom Cat Killers outboard/IO's? >

Are there any 25' to 30' V Bottom Cat Killers outboard/IO's?

Notices

Are there any 25' to 30' V Bottom Cat Killers outboard/IO's?

Old 12-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
How about the 29 outerlimits than ran over a hundred with a single 600 sci. I know it's not outboards but that's getting it done.
Sweet rig unfortunately I do most of my boating in eastern Long Island lots of open water running twins is just a safety factor I really like and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Omni Present; 12-12-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cig92
what i find more often than not is a lot of the self proclaimed expert, lifelong boat driving top speed producing guys really cant drive a boat very well. there's a lot of big numbers out there, only saw it once, light on fuel, no one else to verify, blah blah blah. that boat generally runs 10 mph slower lol, but seriously. i will tell you that i am generally at the front of my group and by far, not even close to being the fastest in my class. you will only know if you are "competitive" if you know the guy next to you is shooting for the same thing (race on). the only cat that i know of that you will smoke the doors off of is a 39 usa cat,
all others are probably gonna getcha

I'm finding your comment more and more true the longer I'm in this sport. Have to say I put up with a lot of crap that comes with performance boating because there's nothing better then getting in my boat alone after a long day of work and letting her rip for a nice 30 or 40 minute run to Block Island or Montauk Yacht Club for a bite to eat and a cold beer. Nothing clears my mind better and the faster and better handling the boat just seems to make it better so I'll be buying selling testing tuning critiquing and asking you more experience guys dumb questions for as long as I can afford it!!!!!! Thanks for the comment cheers

Last edited by Omni Present; 12-12-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=GPM;4233999]
Originally Posted by Omni Present
Reggie Fountain had the last V bottom cat killer I've ever heard of and that was a SuperBoat. Does anyone have a 25' to 30' V bottom outboard or IO twin or single that can take down cats of the same size consistently?

I've never seen a 25 to 30 foot V run in the 150 mph range and that's what it would take to be a 25 to 30 foot Cat Killer.
150mph in a 25' to 30' boat honestly for what I do may be a little extreme but hey as I progress in the sport and buy faster boats I guess everything is possible. However after I buy a cat from what the general consensus is I may never own another V bottom so I'm gonna savior my time with this progression. In my humble opinion Kevin builds a truly superior product compared to comparable V bottoms....
Old 12-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

A 30' Skater nor a 30' Spectre is no match for a 28' Skater in flat water. A 28' will smoke a 30.
A 30' Skater with 300xs's is a 100mph boat on a good with light load. Most guys if honest will tell you they have seen 102-104mph under ideal conditions. Put a 30 Skater in some rough water it will overtake a 28.
I would put my boat up against any under 30' outboard vee bottom in any conditions.
It all depends on set up and like someone said. Running a boat flat out or in rough water is two totally different animals.
I have also ran along with other boats and not pushing my boat hard and talked to them later to hear how they hung with me like we were racing when I was on turning 4000rpms!
I say bring that thing down here for the Miami Boat Show poker run in Feb and there will plenty of boats to run against in less than ideal conditions to see how you stack up.
It is a great run and a lot of fun.
Be safe and enjoy the boat and sport. It is a lot of fun!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:30 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

[QUOTE=Omni Present;4234070]
Originally Posted by GPM

150mph in a 25' to 30' boat honestly for what I do may be a little extreme but hey as I progress in the sport and buy faster boats I guess everything is possible. However after I buy a cat from what the general consensus is I may never own another V bottom so I'm gonna savior my time with this progression. In my humble opinion Kevin builds a truly superior product compared to comparable V bottoms....
I have no clue what you do, I just read the cat killer part, lining up a cat and a v running flat out, no HP limits.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
A 30' Skater nor a 30' Spectre is no match for a 28' Skater in flat water. A 28' will smoke a 30.
A 30' Skater with 300xs's is a 100mph boat on a good with light load. Most guys if honest will tell you they have seen 102-104mph under ideal conditions. Put a 30 Skater in some rough water it will overtake a 28.
I would put my boat up against any under 30' outboard vee bottom in any conditions.
It all depends on set up and like someone said. Running a boat flat out or in rough water is two totally different animals.
I have also ran along with other boats and not pushing my boat hard and talked to them later to hear how they hung with me like we were racing when I was on turning 4000rpms!
I say bring that thing down here for the Miami Boat Show poker run in Feb and there will plenty of boats to run against in less than ideal conditions to see how you stack up.
It is a great run and a lot of fun.
Be safe and enjoy the boat and sport. It is a lot of fun!
Once again guys my research especially regarding 28' Skaters matches your real world experience. My running buddy had a 28' Skater with 2.5's prior to aquirering his 30' with 300xs. He tried to get me to buy it unfortunately I'd just bought my 24' SuperBoat and wasn't in the position to buy it. �� we boat in the Hampton's mostly and we see dead flat water to 3' to 6' conditions every time we go out that's why he stepped up to the 30'. Where both into speed obviously him having owned a few skaters me coming from more family & CC jumping into performance boats. thanks for being honest double rigged regardings speeds it's really tough trying to figure out if my boat is doing what it should when everyone you talk to is doing 10mph more then they really can do under optimum conditions. Knowing my next boat will most likely be a cat I started this thread in hopes to gain more knowledge about the V vs cat ive difinitely known cats for the most part are faster however like most scenarios there can be exceptions. Honestly under some circumstances power to weight and the progression variable dead rise hull if the number are close I do feel depending on driver skill my boat can give a thirty cat a good run for its money and that day given the circumstances I definitely know I had those guys. Now wether there boat was tired or not working properly I can't answer but they where definitely all in judging from the video and engine sound. If all goes as planned myself and my boat will be in south Florida February & March. I'm not sure my boat is big enough for the poker run however I've heard about a fun run around Key Largo that's supposed to be a blast and as stated earlier heck I really like to run my boat win lose or draw! ��
Old 12-12-2014, 08:38 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=GPM;4234082]

I have no clue what you do, I just read the cat killer part, lining up a cat and a v running flat out, no HP limits.
All good started the thread and I'm fine wherever it goes 150 though in a 30 ' boat given the conditions I'm use to sounds down right scary and fun at the same time who knows this sport is progressing fast maybe one day soon that will be my reality........
Old 12-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Banned

I watched a V hull with 850's racing a Skater with 525's the Skater still won!Your not goung to beat a cat with a V hull !Not a big fan of cats but they are very fast!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Greatguy66
I watched a V hull with 850's racing a Skater with 525's the Skater still won!Your not goung to beat a cat with a V hull !Not a big fan of cats but they are very fast!
Doesn't look good but there are always exceptions and I never said I was trying to beat a 28' skater however I ain't afraid to get beat. Hey in the next year or so I'll own at cat and then I'll know exactly what so special about cats. Till then I'm loving my Progression brother heck life could be worse a 90 plus mph comfortable 27' with a nice head cabin and plus the ladies love it!!!!!
Old 12-12-2014, 11:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 257 Likes on 115 Posts

Doesn't look good but there are always exceptions and I never said I was trying to beat a 28' skater however I ain't afraid to get beat. Hey in the next year or so I'll own at cat and then I'll know exactly what so special about cats. Till then I'm loving my Progression brother heck life could be worse a 90 plus mph comfortable 27' with a nice head cabin and plus the ladies love it!!!!!
Enjoy the Progression, keep posting, without this thread I might have been bored, we need more threads like this in the wintertime,or what are we going to banter about? Tire pressure on the trailer tires? Who has the best tow vehicle? Who makes the best gauges? F*ck that nonsense, I want to hear about who is fast, who thinks they are fast, and who wants to be fast and how they plan on getting to be fast....

Last edited by Smarty; 12-13-2014 at 12:28 AM. Reason: grammar, deleted or and are

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.