Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are there any 25' to 30' V Bottom Cat Killers outboard/IO's? >

Are there any 25' to 30' V Bottom Cat Killers outboard/IO's?

Notices

Are there any 25' to 30' V Bottom Cat Killers outboard/IO's?

Old 12-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scarab63
That's cool. U don't think adding the wedges for negative trim I'm assuming to help it handle rough water better is going to hurt your top end that your chasing in calm water? Or do u still have more trim left now to fly the bow.
The wedge are for when I encounter really big water off the eastern end of Long Island places like Block Island, Plum Gut, The Race & Montauk. My progression at slow speed in big water and below plane speed has a really high bow attitude hopefully the extra negative trim will allow me to see while navigating in those type conditions. The wedges will add set back which may inadvertently help top number as for ability to fly the bow I'm really not that concerned she's difinitely bow happy you can see that in the video below. In all honesty I'm looking for a above 90mph top speed but one that is truly sustainable with fuel people and gear not a stripped down hard to duplicate number.

http://youtu.be/GeNs491Nr_o

Last edited by Omni Present; 12-13-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
I was running with a 28' Skater on flat water and it was awesome.... Until he pinned it and walked me like I was standing still
Been there but hey that's what it's all about who knows next year you may be the guy in the 28' Skater walking other guys down now that you know there the king of the water way in that particular class.

What kinda power and boat where you in CrownLPX?
Old 12-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,079 Likes on 287 Posts

27 Progression is a great running boat, but it's a small 27. It run's more like a 25. Not in a bad way mind you, but In my mind its actually more comparable to a 24 Skater. Iv'e run quite a few Progressions, I love them all. Bring me back to my challenger days, but the way the bow comes up at the front is similar to a beak on a fountain, it's un-usable hull. The tall deck 29 feels like a massive boat, other than that they all run a bit shorter than they really are. I'd own one in a heartbeat that being said.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Did Triple Digits buy a Progression?
Old 12-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
27 Progression is a great running boat, but it's a small 27. It run's more like a 25. Not in a bad way mind you, but In my mind its actually more comparable to a 24 Skater. Iv'e run quite a few Progressions, I love them all. Bring me back to my challenger days, but the way the bow comes up at the front is similar to a beak on a fountain, it's un-usable hull. The tall deck 29 feels like a massive boat, other than that they all run a bit shorter than they really are. I'd own one in a heartbeat that being said.
Interesting analogy never been in a 24' Skater although I was gonna buy one when I bought my 24' SuperBoat. The individual who at the time was counseling me loved the boat but highly recommend I not buy it due to the waters i boat in saying that the skater would not ride well at all in those conditions. nevertheless I'm a huge fan of the look and speed there capable of. As far as the hull comparison I can only comment on my experience coming from the 24' SuperBoat the Progression is a much more user friendly interior cockpit and cabin. Driving one on the other hand the Progression difinitely has a learning curve much steeper then the SuperBoat but once mastered is soooo much faster and better suited for my conditions with the exception of when things get really big and that I believe is all about set up on the Progression however time will tell. Thanks for the feedback Team Saris love your work and congratulations on your World Championships......

Last edited by Omni Present; 12-15-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:04 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What about an Allison......on the right water it would hang with the best of them
Old 12-15-2014, 07:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 263 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
I was running with a 28' Skater on flat water and it was awesome.... Until he pinned it and walked me like I was standing still
Here is a Skater race experience I will never forget. It was probably somewhere between 1986-1989, my father and I were in his 27' Magnum which had two BBC, TRS drives,27" Mirages props spinning 5200-5300 rpm, it was an honest 82-84 mph boat everyday day of the week, 85 on a cool air day, light on fuel.

We were boating on the Egg Harbor River heading towards the Ocean when a 24' Skater with twin 2.4 hanging on the back comes by I tap my father on the shoulder, tell go run this guy let's see how fast he is really is, so we do our 180 degree turn roll up along the Skater we are now running about 80+ mph, then the Skater just drove away from us like we were tied to the dock.

There is no one on the planet who can convince me otherwise, I believe that a 24', 28', or a 30' Skater with twin hot-rod Mercury outboards is the one of the baddest hot-rods ever built, for size to horsepower ratio, cost, fun factor, and top speed, I am a believer, and have been for many years.

I can identify with your experience...this was the boat the Skater smoked but good
Attached Thumbnails Are there any 25' to 30' V Bottom Cat Killers outboard/IO's?-my-father-medium-.jpg   Are there any 25' to 30' V Bottom Cat Killers outboard/IO's?-100_0070.jpg   Are there any 25' to 30' V Bottom Cat Killers outboard/IO's?-redhead1.jpg  

Last edited by Smarty; 12-15-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 263 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
Did Triple Digits buy a Progression?
He won't know your reference, but I do.....I would always want to be in a 27' progression over a 22' Stingray anyday of the week
Old 12-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Het Smarty, that wasn't the old Damn Magnum that was up in the Boston area was it?
Old 12-15-2014, 11:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Omni Present
Sorry I'm irratating you big guy stil.new to this sport of yours and trying to find my way. With that said never been afraid to lose cause I truly like trying to be better so I'd consider it a badge of honor to lose to you just to possibly learn something......
I'm not irritated. I just think there's a 90+% probability of two things... 1) Your boat is slower than you proclaim and 2) You're a douche.

And by the way... sanctioned racing is a "sport", what we do is a "hobby".

Last edited by chewymalone; 12-15-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.