Notices

Key West Citizen article

Old 12-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
So, the way I read the follow up article is - if you don't enjoy the island in the manner she (they) see fit, you're out of luck. Typical radical nature nazi view point. There is zero negotiating with these people. I find it typical (and commical) that boca grande was selected because boaters wanted a nice isolated white sand beach where they could enjoy the tranquility of the nature that is there. Again, they're enjoying it in the manner they see fit. Just because they're not dressed in full khaki garb with binoculars counting birds doesn't mean they aren't enjoying everything the island has to offer.

These people are elitist that take out any type of common sense when it comes to the protection of some three horned goat weed. I mean really, one day of boats on the island is not going to destroy the eco system.

If I seem a little fired up on the subject it's because I'm dealing with a similar situation on the beach I live on. Absolutely ZERO common sense used by these people. Animals have more rights than humans. Nice!
Don't shoot the messenger, old friend. I don't disagree with your take.

My overriding point is: The event may be salvageable. It depends on what the participants and organizers want—or are willing—to do. It may be simpler to move it elsewhere. It may not. But at least now you have a better understanding of what's in play, and your position is always stronger when you're informed.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From the verbage Finley used she did not sound unreasonable.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

This link provides a good deal of information about the various Wildlife Refuge's in the Keys including the Key West National Wildlife Refuge which includes Boca Grande. http://floridakeys.noaa.gov/zones/wmas/welcome.html

I think many of us were unaware of it's status until this came up. I don't see any way they would approve of 100 + boats and hundreds of people going there when you take the time to read the material and understand their mandate. Not sure how we got way with it this long. LOL

BTB
Attached Thumbnails Key West Citizen article-bocagrande.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 12-16-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bob... just buy those islands and problem solved. (PS. I'm all for nature and wildlife, but some things are just BS. )
Old 12-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
You mean like this or did u actually want to see more boat pics as we have that to ? LOL

BTB
I wonder if I can fit a stripper pole on my 28...
Old 12-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
From the verbage Finley used she did not sound unreasonable.
Trust me... She's unreasonable or this would've never been brought up. Read between the lines.

Last edited by thisistank; 12-16-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Don't shoot the messenger, old friend. I don't disagree with your take.

My overriding point is: The event may be salvageable. It depends on what the participants and organizers want—or are willing—to do. It may be simpler to move it elsewhere. It may not. But at least now you have a better understanding of what's in play, and your position is always stronger when you're informed.
I know brotha. And really since I've always been too hung over to get out there it doesn't really affect me. I just absolutely HATE it when people push their agenda on others. This huge day of beaching and anchoring and enjoying the island does zero the the long term affect out there. One natural hurricane does more in one day than 50 years of the poker run/world races. But the nature types do not like performance boaters. That's the bottom line. And it's just like Jackie said, it's not only poker runners that use that island as a destination through-out the year. But the power at be now has a target to go after.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never been there(races 1 X) but 1 day out of 365??????
Old 12-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually boats show up around what, 10? 11? am or so, bail out at 3 or 4 so for a few hours one day a year they're going to make a big deal out of this? It's not like to the birds are kicking back on the beach till boats show up then have to pack it in and run, they're further inland on the island in the thick brush where no one goes. All of these years and now it's a problem? I don't buy it. Somebody pissed someone off, bottom line. Good chance it has something to do with this last go around with the city and the racing venue.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

He's an idea:

Have someone stand out there with asking for a $50 landing fee for the day.
We'll all chip in and they can put a few bucks in their agenda's pocket for the day.

Most of the boats are FULL of passengers that flew in; ecstatic to get a boat ride; and I bet they would be happy to cover for the captain.

Truth be told: I've never seen any actual wildlife out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.