Opening Statements Begin In Gratton Lawsuit Trial

Notices

Opening Statements Begin In Gratton Lawsuit Trial

Old 01-22-2015, 10:43 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
I refuse to get in a pissing match with the best photographer in the world that has to stick his nose in where it doesnt belong.. Keep up the great photography!!!!
Let's not forget the fact that I am also a former Offshore Racer and have raced in Key West multiple times.

Sorry if you don't like the fact I am standing up for Steve Page and as well as Pops , God bless his soul.
Simply you feel because one is a photographer that I should not be allowed to voice my opinion. Do yourself a favor and put me on your ignore list. It works quite well...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 01-22-2015, 10:52 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPITER PULSARE
I think what many of you are failing to realize is that settlements are made based upon the weight of the cost to go to trial. If the attorneys are truely looking out for the best interests of the parties they represent, they know when it's time to agree on a settlement verses dragging through a trial and spending thousands of dollars and peoples time; and the emotional impact placed upon all involved. This entire situation effects negatively on the sport we all love. I'm sure it's weighs heavily on the guys that tried to rescue Mr Gratton and failed. I'm sure the family will never get over the loss of their loved one. The only true positive outcome will be future improvements made in the regulations for race team rescues and on board safety equipment.
Except that in this case interviews, depositions, investigations and everything else involved was already completed. A jury was seated and the plaintiff had already presented their case so the cost of the trial had already been incurred by plaintiff and largely by the defense as well with their prep work.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:53 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPITER PULSARE
The only true positive outcome will be future improvements made in the regulations for race team rescues and on board safety equipment.
It's been over 3 years since this incident. Have they changed anything since ? I wouldn't be so sure they would in the future if it hasn't been done by now.
It has been stated the diver Mike will continue to work for the org. As a professional diver, I wonder if he has attempted to look into additional training to bring him up to the qualifications of the De Petrilos ? One could only hope so.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 01-22-2015, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Except that in this case interviews, depositions, investigations and everything else involved was already completed. A jury was seated and the plaintiff had already presented their case so the cost of the trial had already been incurred by plaintiff and largely by the defense as well with their prep work.
Brian, you are correct but the trial didn't drag out. There was no verdict to contest. Ultimately, it was cut short in the best interest of both parties.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:02 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, good point. Although a considerable amount had been completed there could have been years more with appeals.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Any chance after this settlement the USCG might say to SBI "You guys need to improve your safety protocol or we won't let you run a race" ?
Old 01-22-2015, 03:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chaser
Dear Mr. Jupiter Sunsation.Just to let you know how much your opion affects SBI races. We have NEVER, EVER stopped a race for an accident on the race coarse. An acident does not warrant that the race be Stopped. If you have ever been in a race you would know that. Also Mike Haugh has not missed a single race as a rescue diver before and after the accident. And will be a rescue diver for SBI for the 2015 season. . And just because he makes his living as a tattoo artist does not have any affect on his diving ability. And just another point to clear up. JOHN CARBONELL Does not tell ANY rescue personnel what to do during the race.. It is ALL handled on the race course by the people that are on site. Usually Angel 1 . Just in case you don't think I know what I'm talking about. I am the person that is almost always by Carbonell side during the races. And was by his side and on the radio during the race in Question.
Chaser, you sound very proud of this statement, "We have NEVER, EVER stopped a race for an accident on the race coarse. An acident does not warrant that the race be Stopped." To me, anytime there is a racer in the water, or a boat overturned, their safety should be the #1 priority; not the race, a trophy, or one's position on the track. From being a volunteer medic boat for 3 years, I can tell you 100% that SBI's safety procedures were flawed. I was personally involved with Bob Morgan's accident, and numerous things happened during that rescue that should never have happened. Two years earlier, Cleveland Construction flipped in turn 2, right in front of us. Rescue helicopters were yelling at us to get our safety boat to them right away. We could not get across the course to them or their boat because of the several race boats that were still coming between us and the flipped boat. Luckily Shawn and Ed were fine, but I know for a fact that we were delayed in getting our divers into the water AND delayed in reaching them because the race was not stopped. To me, not stopping a race for any accident says that the race or the profits from said race are more important than a racers safety. I know also that when Joey's accident happened, rescue personnel were asking that the race be stopped. It came across the radio that John did not want to stop the race. Finally, someone in Angel 1 or 2 said that he was making the call to stop the race. The racers safety should be the top priority for all organizations.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Weren't the rules for not stopping a race designed more for the the 20 mile laps, not the 4 mile laps that are raced on now?
Old 01-22-2015, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

The information below is taken directly from SBI GENERAL RULES page 44

http://superboat.com/wp-content/uplo...es-3-4-141.pdf

. Emergency Race Stoppage Procedures/Restarts
In the event that unsafe weather, water, or other conditions either not known or not existing at the time of the start of a race necessitate the stoppage of that racing event, the following procedure shall be used:
1. Only the SBIP President shall have the authority to stop an event.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,075 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Penaltybox
Chaser, you sound very proud of this statement, "We have NEVER, EVER stopped a race for an accident on the race coarse. An acident does not warrant that the race be Stopped." To me, anytime there is a racer in the water, or a boat overturned, their safety should be the #1 priority; not the race, a trophy, or one's position on the track. From being a volunteer medic boat for 3 years, I can tell you 100% that SBI's safety procedures were flawed. I was personally involved with Bob Morgan's accident, and numerous things happened during that rescue that should never have happened. Two years earlier, Cleveland Construction flipped in turn 2, right in front of us. Rescue helicopters were yelling at us to get our safety boat to them right away. We could not get across the course to them or their boat because of the several race boats that were still coming between us and the flipped boat. Luckily Shawn and Ed were fine, but I know for a fact that we were delayed in getting our divers into the water AND delayed in reaching them because the race was not stopped. To me, not stopping a race for any accident says that the race or the profits from said race are more important than a racers safety. I know also that when Joey's accident happened, rescue personnel were asking that the race be stopped. It came across the radio that John did not want to stop the race. Finally, someone in Angel 1 or 2 said that he was making the call to stop the race. The racers safety should be the top priority for all organizations.
Great post Scott.
In the OPA worlds when Main E Axe rolled (thankfully both crew members okay), OPA stopped the race as per OPA rule. Everyone went back to their mill, and after the crew was deemed OK and the boat out of the course, we lined up in our running order and started the race. No hiccups, smooth as silk and SAFE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.