Opening Statements Begin In Gratton Lawsuit Trial >

Opening Statements Begin In Gratton Lawsuit Trial

Notices

Opening Statements Begin In Gratton Lawsuit Trial

Old 01-23-2015, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
Scott, This was brought up in the questioning of JC in the court.
His testimony was that he would deny the stopping of the race even if the Angels were asking him to do so. When asked if he would over rule the Angel's request as to stopping of the race, JC's response was, "YES"
Seems to say a lot about priorities, no?
Old 01-23-2015, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey-images
scott, this was brought up in the questioning of jc in the court.
His testimony was that he would deny the stopping of the race even if the angels were asking him to do so. When asked if he would over rule the angel's request as to stopping of the race, jc's response was, "yes"
wow
Old 01-23-2015, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
Scott, This was brought up in the questioning of JC in the court.
His testimony was that he would deny the stopping of the race even if the Angels were asking him to do so. When asked if he would over rule the Angel's request as to stopping of the race, JC's response was, "YES"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw4oHGM8aVk
Old 01-23-2015, 08:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
Scott
Thanks for all ur input I'm sure SBI will review all ur suggestions and act accordingly. Have you thought about possible composing a saftey and resue manual that the organizations could review for future saftey proceedures? That would be a win win to make saftey even better in coming yrs.
After the Bob Morgan accident, I was called into a meeting with John Carbonell and some other race officials. I did express my concern over how things went during and after the Bob Morgan rescue. During this conversation, it was apparent that they (SBI officials) were may more concerned with keeping me quiet and not speaking to anyone about the rescue, than they were about my input on what could be done to improve future safety procedures. Have I wrote anything about safety procedures? No. I am by far, not an expert and don't pretend to be one. When I wrote the long post about my experience with the Bob Morgan accident, I just hoped that enough racers would see the flaws in the safety procedures, and ask for change.

In my opinion, and I am NOT speaking for Mark; when Mark and Tommy barrel-rolled in Cocoa Beach, I think the race should have been stopped. I am certainly glad they were both ok, and looking back, had the race been stopped I don't know if that would have helped them more or not. However, what if one of them was more seriously hurt, and needed attention where time was of the essence?

It is VERY frustrating to think that an organization appears to be more concerned with profits from a race, than racer safety. I don't want to bash anyone; I just think that racer safety should be EVERYONE's number one priority.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nascar regroups the pack in running order after a caution and re-starts. Not only will it be no question safer, but it would also make for closer racing with a restart. How many of these offshore races end up with the pack spaced so far apart by the end of the event its a yawn fest.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatguy66
There was a race where 2 people were killed.I don't know if there was legal action but the promoters were claiming they altered the canopy??Did that topic come up in this case?
There was an " accident " with the boyz up north a few years back where that was the problem.they found the alterations were safe prior to the race tho.

that one was the old dirty duck boat .lots of power went in it as well .started out with 525,s.

I don't know if that went to court or not .

I doubt it came up tho . seeing as how the settlement shut the door on any more evidence either direction.

Last edited by klaatutooyou; 01-23-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are plenty of accidents that I could mention, where I think stopping the race would be warranted. Frank and Mike's accident this past year in Key West, and also Mark and Kurt's accident were both very violent. Even though, in hind sight, everyone ended up being OK, I can't help but think that stopping the race so that all available medical/rescue personnel could assist would be worth the extra cost for a helicopter, ambulance, or whatever for that extended amount of time.

Again, I am not attacking anyONE. I think that all race organizations should put participant safety on the top of the priority list. I understand that stopping a race, having all the boats return to the milling circles, and restarting the race is not the ideal situation for the boat(s) that have a strong lead at the time of the stoppage. However, isn't someone's life worth more than all the 'prize money' one can win from an offshore boat race?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Penaltybox
There are plenty of accidents that I could mention, where I think stopping the race would be warranted. Frank and Mike's accident this past year in Key West, and also Mark and Kurt's accident were both very violent. Even though, in hind sight, everyone ended up being OK, I can't help but think that stopping the race so that all available medical/rescue personnel could assist would be worth the extra cost for a helicopter, ambulance, or whatever for that extended amount of time.

Again, I am not attacking anyONE. I think that all race organizations should put participant safety on the top of the priority list. I understand that stopping a race, having all the boats return to the milling circles, and restarting the race is not the ideal situation for the boat(s) that have a strong lead at the time of the stoppage. However, isn't someone's life worth more than all the 'prize money' one can win from an offshore boat race?
I agree .
I think everyone agrees with more safety .

So lay out what you want as a group ,and present it to youre club.
beating up safety divers won't help any for sure .

At one time boxing had no gloves ,football had no helmets or gear .

so help make it evolve .
seems the best approach to me anyway.the blame game north and south can go on forever.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hustler40
Nascar regroups the pack in running order after a caution and re-starts. Not only will it be no question safer, but it would also make for closer racing with a restart. How many of these offshore races end up with the pack spaced so far apart by the end of the event its a yawn fest.
Seems like I remember doing exactly that in a couple of APBA races years ago
Old 01-23-2015, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Saratoga Stamped
The tape was a bit hard to hear and I by no means like JC. However I think the question was "worded" about procedure and not actual stop of the race. (If the Angels come to him with a procedure or something like that he would over rule etc.. ) Just pointing this out, to be careful how attorney verbiage is interpreted by us, and of course by the jury.
Stopping a race procedure is complex, I understand, and there need to be a protocol when and who, whom has the final say so, etc. Personally, safety is should be FIRST. PERIOD. How to do it right? I have no answer. My last race was in the late 80's.
Just a suggestion. May be there should be a single body or org. by racers, sponsors, experts, manufacturers etc. and all racing orgs should follow the guidelines set up by independent board.
I would do something similar to PR's too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.