Notices

Coast Guard Documentation

Old 01-20-2015, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

And in ohio you still have to get an ohio sticker but you can put it where u want i have mine on side window by seats and you dont have to have state #'s on the side of the bow.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just received my official documentation on my 357. It was previously documented so I only had to pay for the transfer process and new application. I think my total cost was around $145. If a vessel has not been documented previously and it does not already have a USCG number permanently attached somewhere then the application and initial documentation is a different form to fill out. As was said before, they are great with help and answering questions. I called them twice for clarification filling out my forms. Their web site has q&a and specific descriptions for form completion so be sure to check out their site, download the forms and send them in. http://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/

The documentation is a valid ownership document in every state. Some states are title states and some, like Georgia, are not. A documented vessel with USCG paper satisfies all states in the title or ownership regard.
Registration is another ball of wax. The "use" laws of what ever state you boat in will still require a registration for the purpose of taxes on use but also as said the state numbers are not required when a vessel is USCG documented because the vessel markings of the USCG are federal and prevailing. Tax is not a matter of documentation. Tax is left to each governing body of water or state region. State marine use tax is brutal in some areas.
Hint: RI does not tax marine use and the hailing port of documentation does NOT have to be your residence. The hailing port is primarily for U.S. location verification such as a "Zip Code" but not required as the residence. The Mojave Dessert can literally be an hailing port since it also does not require a dock or water for that entry. Cool eh, lol. Your residence is part of documentation as the operating manager but the hailing port simply needs to be a place where a U.S. zip code proves it is a U.S. vessel. Since documentation is a federal process intended for waters anywhere both domestic and international the hailing port is kind of liquid if you follow me.
It is true that many domestic water pigs are clueless about USCG documentation because they are trained regarding the state registration of their own territory and to know how to honor registrations of other states but mostly clueless about federal documentation. That said, state registration will still be required by the waters the boat will be in the most, or at least a state registration.
This is how I understand it all now and what I have learned getting my boat done.
Good luck with your documentation.

P.S. The USCG is adamant about their BOS. Make sure you use their form for the bill of sale because it is almost impossible to satisfy their requirements outside of their own BOS form. That was a snag I ran into.

Last edited by aquaforce; 01-20-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question, if you own a boat that is USCG in Ohio and move to Florida, when you register it do you have to pay the 6% sale tax.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

http://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/nvdcforms.asp

I'd do it myself. I paid $600 for the service years ago, but it's not difficult and they are very easy to work with. Once processed, you can have documents overnighted if you pay said fees.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TURBO JET
Question, if you own a boat that is USCG in Ohio and move to Florida, when you register it do you have to pay the 6% sale tax.

When a boat is registered that registration is also reported to the governing dept of taxation. Then the tax dept for marine use will send a tax declaration notice for the tax bill. If you are moving only seasonally the states have a "docking clause" which gives a time limit for a visiting vessel before a use tax may be excised. Because this is money states are getting more attentive to what vessels are at the docks for tax purposes. If you are moving permanently then the docking clause would count down to tax time eventually but that only happens if your registration gets on the radar screen either through marina reports or state agents who comb the docks for opportunities or you specifically register with the state. Once a boat is on the radar it is not so easy to get off but it is easier to stay off the radar other ways.
Does this answer your question?
Old 01-20-2015, 08:58 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^ the states and coasties do communicate. It doesn't take a third party (marina) to help so keep that in mind. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bck
^^^ the states and coasties do communicate. It doesn't take a third party (marina) to help so keep that in mind. Ask me how I know.
I was reading about how the USCG published all documentations and states are combing through the lists for hits at home. There has been a lot of discussion about reasons the USCG should not list documentations but it is public and open.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 353 and am trying to document it. They said it would take about 3-4 months to go through my ? is why do I need it.Boat is for rec. only and in US .Cant I just reg. it in my state and be done with it
Old 01-20-2015, 09:58 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You don't need to. Actually, your life might be a little simpler if you don't. I did it because the bank required it.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aquaforce
when a boat is registered that registration is also reported to the governing dept of taxation. Then the tax dept for marine use will send a tax declaration notice for the tax bill. If you are moving only seasonally the states have a "docking clause" which gives a time limit for a visiting vessel before a use tax may be excised. Because this is money states are getting more attentive to what vessels are at the docks for tax purposes. If you are moving permanently then the docking clause would count down to tax time eventually but that only happens if your registration gets on the radar screen either through marina reports or state agents who comb the docks for opportunities or you specifically register with the state. Once a boat is on the radar it is not so easy to get off but it is easier to stay off the radar other ways.
does this answer your question?

yes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.