Like Tree0Likes

Help me decide, I have analysis paralysis!

Old 09-05-2002, 12:23 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2015 MTI 48
Cool A different theory...

UT: you know I am facing some issues with my boat as well.
However, sometimes it is easier to find an answer to someone else's problem than it is your own!
Regarding your dillema:
1. Obviously you are limited to small blocks in your boat.
2. If you boat at havasu, you boat in a TON of heat.
3. Heat and bad air (density wise) KILLS small displacement naturally aspirated motors.
4. Engines are basically air pumps, the more air it is capable of pumping (cubic inches) the better they will run given the same available air density.
5. Anything you do to artificially increase the volume of air drawn into the air pump (motor) will decrease engine life. More aire forced into engine=less engine life/reliability (more boost=easier KABOOM)
6. Don't BS anyone, you know you want to go FAST all the time , just like the rest of us freaks.

Given the above, my advice would be to find a good engine builder to build two stroker (400+ cubes) small blocks with little blowers running 5 pounds of boost or less.
You will have KILLER torque numbers (easy to get on plane) and good hp numbers as well.
Then again, I'm just rambling, now to figure out what to do with my own blown up SH*T!!

Oh yeah, if money is not the main issue, buy a 30 Daytona with the new 525 efi's in it and ROCK ON all day, under warranty!!
And when the waranty runs out, sell it to me for half what you paid for it!!

Last edited by SummerObsession; 09-05-2002 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:52 PM
Uncle Toys

SummerObsesion - “blown up SH*T!!” Ouch! As far as being called a speed freak – damn, you observant

Concerning your engine advice – that is basically the way I am leaning at this time. What matters though, is which way my spouse leans when its time to cut a check.

Plus, that Dougie Fresh is fairly convincing about the Cig Top Gun.

I’m so confused

Old 09-05-2002, 12:54 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2003 Eliminator 30' Daytona

Does/did your whipple setup have an intercooler? If so do you know how it was plumbed?

With my procharger setup I have a big intercooler. I get water for the intercooler off a manifold that is attached to where a normal water pump would be in a car. After the water leaves the intercooler I have it go to a dump on the side of the boat. That way I can make sure water is flowing & comming out.

I am now getting a better idea why you named this thread "Analysis paralysis" Too may different storys from too may different people. After reading all this I am getting that way as to what route you should take. Boating is to be fun, not a pain. I think part of the problem is that you are trying to chart new ground (first twin 26 daytona, small block blowers?). Another option would be to put in the scoprions??/ & leave it alone, at least it should be a good reliable package.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:47 PM
Uncle Toys

Sorry TJ. Thursday are meeting days around here. Just out of one and rolling into the next. Should be free around 5pm left coast time. Will talk then.

Old 09-05-2002, 08:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Marlago 35 FS, 18 Neptune CC

One thing to remember about big inch small blocks. As you get near 400 cubic inches the cyl walls start to get a little thin. the 400 small block has always had problems with heat in HP applications. If you blow them you are asking them to deal with more heat and stress. An intercooler would be a must and you definitely need to resolve any water pressure issues. I would think that maybe a NASCAR style build (355 CI) with low compression and moderate boost would make you a lot happier. The extra displacement is nice in NA motors but I haven't seen many last in boats-even without blowers installed.

Of course those Scorps are pretty cool too
Old 09-06-2002, 10:40 AM
Uncle Toys

To all of you who have called, emailed and pm’d to show support – thank you! I apologize for not responding promptly, but I promise I will. Thursdays are our committee day so my time is tied up in meetings and today I need to leave early as I promised my daughter I would take her to the horse races (I think she likes horses more than boats – go figure )

Anyways your support is very much appreciated and don’t be too worried about me. I know right now it looks like Goliath is beating the stuffing out of David, but remember, this is not life or death. As Tank would say, "its all good."

Hopefully by next week I can find that damn slingshot

Old 09-06-2002, 11:35 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
Default I got two words for you

PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFFPAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFFPAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFFPAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFFPAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFFPAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF PAUL PFAFF

Go check out his operation. Talk to D-man and Jeffrey about him. LOOK WHAT IT SAYS ON HIS WALLS He is THE MAN as far as I can tell to make big hp blower motors that LAST!!!!! Just what you want!!! He does not use gimicks or try this or thats. He has the experience to make POWER RELIABLY. Good luck man

Jon
Old 09-06-2002, 11:47 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2009 FORMULA 292

UT,

Although your boat is BEAUTIFUL, give some serious consideration to what Miller said. A 32 Skater with 500's and #6's is as bullet proof, safe and relaible as you can get and will do 110 all day! Best of luck in whichever direction you choose.

Shane
Old 09-06-2002, 01:14 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454

Jesus Miller and Shane it must be nice spending other peoples money!!!!! Oh ya I forgot that is what you guys do for a living.....Stocks!!! Now get back in the boiler room!!!!
Old 09-06-2002, 03:20 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2003 Eliminator 30' Daytona

Audiofn - touche