velocity 260 vs. checkmate 270 >

velocity 260 vs. checkmate 270

Notices

velocity 260 vs. checkmate 270

Old 03-15-2015, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default velocity 260 vs. checkmate 270

So been looking at these two boats. Not sure if I'll pull the trigger this year or next but I'm bored at work so I thought I'd start a thread. Anyone own both? I've read about the porpoising issues on the checks.

Boat in the Saginaw Bay or inland lakes usually but would like to venture into the great lakes. May do some overnights on it in traverse. Plus and minus of each boat?

If I end up locating a nice Tantrum I'll end up with that but for now these are the two I'm looking at.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

All 3 are great boats buy whichever one comes along at the most bang for the buck!
Old 03-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will speak as a previous Velocity owner.... I absolulty loved my 260. Very fast with stock power, unique look. Not many in Michigan. They handle big water pretty good, but do take some getting used to. They are considered a "drivers" boat as the pad bottom is a bit different of a feel. Their fit and finish I would say is going to be much better than that of a checkmate. Dollar for dollar a better buy. A lot has to do with name recognition...... I got my Velocity really cheap, but when it was time to sell I watched older less equipped Bajas sell for more, simply because the name. A lot of people have never heard of velocity. So just keep that in mind. If/when you go to sell and have time to wait for the right buyer, that won't be an issue. I was selling over the winter so I took what I could get. Don't get me wrong, I didn't give it away... It will just be tuffet to sell when the time comes, unless you have the right buyer. It's a boat where a guy looking for a Velocity knows what he wants opposed to a guy looking to get into offshore knows the name Baja....,. I would buy another Velocity in a heart beat if I went back to a true offshore boat again.

Last edited by low_psi; 03-15-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

I purchased a 2000 259 Convincor new in 2002. The boat did have a mid range porpoise that was interesting but overall the boat was great. FYI get longer performance tabs and set the drive and tabs to neutral at mid range and the porpoising is gone. I've also heard squaring the transom edge eliminates the porpoise as well. After owning it for 7 years and upgrading the tabs, steering and power the boat really turned out to be sweet. I'll never forget running back to the condo after a shootout at LOTO w/ passengers in the rough. The boat flew steady and straight. The most exciting ride of my life. I will say HP tabs, full hydraulic steering and power make this boat a lot better than most are sold from the factory. I think Velocity makes a great boat as well but I've never personally driven one. Good luck with the purchase!
Old 03-15-2015, 05:51 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. Finding either is a problem. There's a velocity in Ohio but he doesn't seem interested in selling it. Has the worst ad ever, won't take any decent pics, and returns emails with one word answers. Wish he'd be more motivated I'd probably snag it up.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Go to Velocity forum and give a shout out that you are looking for a 260 or a 280. Also you should contact kenny at Letstalk boats.com and have him keep an eye out.

Velocitys are great. I had a 280 for 15 years and now have a 29 VR 1.

Padraig
Old 03-15-2015, 06:41 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

I love a Velocity. It's a drivers boat in the best way.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:46 PM
Registered

There is one velocity that runs in the bay already. It looks like it may be a 32 ish. Taking off from boaters beach, it seems to take our unique wave sets as good as any.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Padraig
Go to Velocity forum and give a shout out that you are looking for a 260 or a 280. Also you should contact kenny at Letstalk boats.com and have him keep an eye out.

Velocitys are great. I had a 280 for 15 years and now have a 29 VR 1.

Padraig
I posted up that I'd like to check one out. Coming from a Donzi classic 18 so it'll be a big change. I'd like to check out both boats without wasting a sellers time. I promised myself I'd go boatless this summer, probably not working out that way lol.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Where are you located?

Padraig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.