Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
so anybody manage to break a number 8 drive yet... >

so anybody manage to break a number 8 drive yet...

Notices

so anybody manage to break a number 8 drive yet...

Old 04-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Mercury should really just give up and offer Arnesons with their motor packages.
How sweet would that be.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:10 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Mercury should really just give up and offer Arnesons with their motor packages.
How sweet would that be.
Now that's one hell of an idea.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:09 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

A lot of cats went back to the #6. There is a lot that is left to be desired in the quality of merc gears in any drive. I know there are some drive rebuilders that hand pick their gears and then spend some time working them over. Merc also says to run the junk MTF because it can absorb water, which should not be an issue anyways. We had Matt @ TNT setup our drives and he puts a little different pre-loads on them. We also used to run the RTF then switched to the bravo shop neo oil, and we have pounded pretty hard on our 6's with more than 1650's...... We also did tear up a #6 pretty good before TNT worked on our drives. We were also running MTF at the time and only had 1350hp or so.

Or....

This could have been avoided with Arneson's, lol!

Last edited by Coolerman; 04-23-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:43 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

old 8??
[ATTACH=CONFIG]540343[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]540344[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]540345[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails so anybody manage to break a number 8 drive yet...-img_0108-large-.jpg   so anybody manage to break a number 8 drive yet...-img_0109-large-.jpg   so anybody manage to break a number 8 drive yet...-img_0112-large-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a 6 lower
Old 04-24-2015, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by obrien
That's a 6 lower
Correction, thats half a six lower lol
Old 04-24-2015, 12:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Coolerman
A lot of cats went back to the #6. There is a lot that is left to be desired in the quality of merc gears in any drive. I know there are some drive rebuilders that hand pick their gears and then spend some time working them over. Merc also says to run the junk MTF because it can absorb water, which should not be an issue anyways. We had Matt @ TNT setup our drives and he puts a little different pre-loads on them. We also used to run the RTF then switched to the bravo shop neo oil, and we have pounded pretty hard on our 6's with more than 1650's...... We also did tear up a #6 pretty good before TNT worked on our drives. We were also running MTF at the time and only had 1350hp or so.

Or....

i dont think cats are as hard on drives as big v hulls... but look at the chief 42 with arnesons.? That thing is a beast with only 700s
Old 04-24-2015, 01:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Coolerman

Or....

i dont think cats are as hard on drives as big v hulls... but look at the chief 42 with arnesons.? That thing is a beast with only 700s
Old 04-24-2015, 10:55 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorry but put 1000-1350-1650-xxxx hp in front of a drive and it is going to have wear and eventually fail. I have a set of 8's and I bet I have engine issues before drive issues but if I put shafts on there I still have other issues and the bustle covers the drives and props for the most part. I can replace gears much more than body parts from blades back there when we are all swimming around with that set of Ginsu knives hanging out waiting on a unsuspecting set of feet or legs....
Old 04-25-2015, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by gofastlvr
I am sorry but put 1000-1350-1650-xxxx hp in front of a drive and it is going to have wear and eventually fail. I have a set of 8's and I bet I have engine issues before drive issues but if I put shafts on there I still have other issues and the bustle covers the drives and props for the most part. I can replace gears much more than body parts from blades back there when we are all swimming around with that set of Ginsu knives hanging out waiting on a unsuspecting set of feet or legs....
oh so you and ur friends swim in and around ur sixes? Yeah right... Next bs excuse....
parasitic loss,of not 1 but 2, 90 degree changes of direction in ur drive line is way better than the arneson system... wtf dude, u from planet earth or some other galaxy?
I think with arnesons every 22nd blue moon u change a 40 dollar u joint and a couple of 25 dollar bearings and seals... plus u dont have to felate anyone at arneson to have customer service call u back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.