Like Tree101Likes

Salt water help

Old 05-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Registered

Default Salt water help

Ok so I'm sure this topic has been covered but my search has turned up no results. Question is, I'm very seriously considering purchasing a 32 fountain I found. My 1 hang up and maybe it's ignorance,but it's been a salt water boat for its life. Is the saltwater fact a reason to walk away and if not some advice on things to look for? I'm certainly very green when it comes to this topic. Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Registered

1st questions i have are
1) what year boat?
2) fresh water closed cooling system?

Imho, i would always try to find a freshwater boat over a salt boat.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Registered

It's a 2002 with raw water cooling. My intent was to find freshwater but stumbled across this one which lines up with everything I'm after except freshwater
Old 05-23-2015, 02:55 PM
Registered

The ONLY thing the saltwater DEFINATLY damages are:
Outdrives, Oil Coolers, Intake Manifolds, Exhaust Systems, Motors and anything else NOT Stainless.
The ONLY way to fix Saltwater corrosion I know of is REPLACE.
NO WAY I would consider a 15 year old all saltwater boat as reliable.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:07 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=GLENAMY 242SS;4307889]The ONLY thing the saltwater DEFINATLY damages are:
Outdrives, Oil Coolers, Intake Manifolds, Exhaust Systems, Motors and anything else NOT Stainless.
The ONLY way to fix Saltwater corrosion I know of is REPLACE.
NO WAY I would consider a 15 year old all saltwater boat as reliable.[/QUOTE

Motors were freshened 25 hrs ago along with new manifolds, exhaust. Not sure about the coolers. Drives were also serviced(rebuilt) at the same time. Either way, I think you answered my question with that statement. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Registered

I forgot to mention the trim pumps, tab pumps, motor hatch motor, distributor, ignition, mercathode system, starter relay, circuit breakers, etc.
All electrical connectors and motors are now a prime failure point. NO way to stop electrolysis and salt speeds the process MANY fold.
Electrical gremlins on the water are NO fun, trust me.
Just my opinion, hope you make the right choice.
Good Luck
Old 05-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Registered

Thanks again
Old 05-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Registered

I run in salt water. If I were ever to buy another used boat it would not be a salt water boat.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:42 PM
Registered

Suppose all was deemed good by a reputable surveyor at time of purchase, then boat was moved to fresh water, would it still be cause for concern? In other words even after the move would their be residual effects impossible to stop even with it no longer being exposed to salt?
Old 05-23-2015, 08:44 PM
Registered

Salt water. VS frost, freeze and poor winterization. Hmm.. NO BRAINER. I boat in salt water, and you could not tell. But I'm pretty anal about the upkeep and desalting, wash down, etc. EVERY time. Salt won't hurt much. Lack of maintenance does. AND yessss in the salt it takes a hellava more upkeep. But I would never by a boat that's been in winter, several times, especially an older boat. Unless the owner is your bro, and it was kept in heated storage all it's life. Most don't realize the damage is done to boats, fiberglass, engines, rubber, gaskets. etc. in freezing temps. I run like hell from the "winter boats". And I been in the winter enough. too.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser