The art of being a throttleman..... >

The art of being a throttleman.....

Notices

The art of being a throttleman.....

Old 09-10-2002, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Great thread...Thanks for the information. I have rarely back off 100%. Unless the airtime afforded my the opportunity to. I have a lot to learn in this area of driving. I have broken 2 Bravos already. So all this information helps.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:11 PM
Registered

Oh I did want to mention, Randy is right. #1 mistake is people overtrim the boat.

For drivers, the fastest way between two points in not necessarily a straight line. It's true, fingure that one out.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

randy,

you know i love you but i have said it before and it took me a long time to get it also.

many times less is more. you boy's in f1 have this thing about not lifting. well you can scrub just as much and if not more going into a turn not lifting then lifting. and joe is right. if you are truly using your rev limiter as a mark then you are slowing yourself down. first of all you are killing the motor and shocking the drive to the point were it will blow up. that was my mistake years ago. you have to run just under the limiter. now granted you are pushing less weight and have less chance of breaking a drive then a big fat f2 boat but that what happens. when your on the rev limiter it actually is shocking the hell out of the drive and drops the floor on the gear.

Treadwell
Old 09-10-2002, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

What about tab position in relation to throttle and trim. Trimmed-in in rough water I can only run level using the tabs. My concern is not the loss of speed from lowering the tabs, but rather knowing when is too much tab a bad or potentialy risky thing?
Old 09-10-2002, 05:41 PM
Registered

it's an impossible question to ask...kinda like i have a ford mustang from 1998 what position should i hold the gas at in turn 5???

you can take someone not too experienced and they could never throttle/run the boat at the same trim positions as someone with experience...

how about this......take a mx bike go'n through whops...it's only 1/4 turn on a throttle lock to lock...take someone that has never rode off road vs a pro..think there's a difference....what is it??? timming!

be safe...run w/in your limits....
Old 09-10-2002, 05:52 PM
Registered

joe is right to a point. you can still give advice.

it depends on your boat. you need to know what your boat wants in the rough wayer. you need to know the attitude your boat likes to run in the rough. then you can determine were to run the tabs. but if you intend to run high speed at a considerable distance you need to be able to read the water and set the boat up for the next wave in advance and anticapate how the boat will react. seat time seat time seat time.

Treadwell

aslo well said joe run within your limit's. and if you think you don't have any stop.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

LOts of good stuff hear !
I under stand you have to lift , And every situation is diferent . I just always had a gestimate of if the boat is aired out and maybe slows a few % you should have your prop speed set acordingly on reentry. Another words if you leave the water at 90mph and reenter at 75 , I would think your props should be doing 75 when they enter . OF course you would need to be real good to acurately guess that one !! I never pulled back more then the speed of the boats forward motion . Of course there is also a differance if you are running a 454 magnum or a pair of 1200's . Your throttle position will vary greatly ! I have 171/2" x 32's props on surface drives . If I kill the throttles even on flat water with my cat , the props work like ramps and lift the ass of the boat right off the water !! Of course my original quesion was more along the lines of running a V bottom as thats were most of my experience is and the V's tend to take flight more often . THe "CAT" factor throughs in a hole bunch of other variables . Thanks .
Old 09-10-2002, 09:20 PM
Registered

boot,

well there ya go throwing a wrench in everthing. with surface drives there is really no need to pull back other then to keep the motor off of the limiters. you run the risk of torqing the prop or loosing an ear on the prop but that is very rare.

like is said. each boat is diffrent. depends on your setup.

one other main reason for pulling all the way back on the throttles is if you do get good air you can kill your water impellar. but with your cat setup you have no risk of that. that's only on bravo setup with no sea strainer.

Treadwell
Old 09-10-2002, 10:09 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default The Art of throttling

There haven't been a lot of Art's throttling........... Art Lilly being the only one who readily comes to mind..........

Art Eckman is a great TV announcer, but he can't throttle a lick.

Hope this helps.

T2x

P.S. Asking how to throttle is kind of like asking..... "How do you play a piano?"

There have been some nice tips on here....but they're "tips" only.....ride with a pro......or watch one on TV.

And yes you pull back 100%....sinc (not sink) your RPMs with hull speed upon reentry...(approximately where the throttle was when you left the water......)....and , if you hit it right the bow will lock in almost immediately to your preferred angle of attack. If you mess up...... the bow will either bounce back up again..... or take a bite out of the next roller......

Happy Art class.........
Old 09-10-2002, 10:17 PM
Registered

t2x,

well i guess it was only a matter of time. but thanks for backing me up on the pulling back 100%. i am not a throttle man but i do know what i need from one. and yes art lilly would do just fine. only trying to tell the guy's how it should be done from what i know.

Treadwell

Quick Reply: The art of being a throttleman.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.