Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
so what does the 2016 SBI season hold in store? >

so what does the 2016 SBI season hold in store?

Notices

so what does the 2016 SBI season hold in store?

Old 01-13-2016, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the UL class boats, with so much power now, and resultant mechanical breakage points, should be limited to a 4 or 5 lap race. dozens of times i've seen fans all plugged in for the first few laps, then 5 minutes in, as failures start and only 2 boats are left, the leader 1/4 mile lead = zero spark and bored fans. ul class are more like heavyweight boxers - massive power to start, but generally useless 8 rounds in.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Maybe that's a good idea. 1/2 the distance of the Super Cat class. Nothing wrong with balls out big speed for 40-50 miles. IMO that's still no easy task and would add to the excitement of nothing to leave on the table. Running at the end of the day the fans don't need another a long dragged out class. IMO no one wants to watch more than 3-5 laps anyway. The whole endurance thing is gone. Fast competitive racing is the order of the day for that class. As an example EVERYONE wants to see the first lap and every lap after that the fans lose some interest every lap after. Don't get me wrong. The comeback is great but most likely its not by design but mechanical failure of the lead boat. If you could bottle the excitement of lap one you would have a insane product. As someone said earlier if there was a part of the course that you couldn't see I bet it would add drama for the fans. WTF just happened type of feeling.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:12 PM
Registered

Another example is KW turn one and that nasty outside leg. When it was out further as a fan you had no idea what was going on out there and who was coming around turn 3 leading coming into the harbor. Sitting on the wall watching everyone was speculating on who was who and betting on there favorite team. You didn't know until they roared by who was actually winning. Now that made you sit on the edge of your seat and wait lap after lap to see who was winning. Im not saying I don't want to see the action on the crazy parts of the course, I do but maybe not just now at the race. This is where race editors can put together all the video of those areas we couldn't see and put together one kick a$$ video for TV with on board, helicopter and turn boat footage.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

I'd enjoy watching 40 outboard cats in heat races. Next day the same with 40 production Vee hull. All the big fragile stuff can stay home or do a poker run.

Last edited by Interceptor; 01-13-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:18 PM
Registered

Have you ever gone into a strip club and see an amazing girl that blew you away. Then she danced and still looked good. Eventually she took a little something off and it was nice at first and a minute later the thrill of wondering was gone. Welcome to boat racing as we know it. LOL This is a hypothetical sinario that I have no experience with.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good network television is one of the few things that can possibly dramatically change offshore racing, it'll bring fans and sponsors.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by MissGeicoRacing
Steve, Your late wife was awesome, she helped me kick start my career and was a huge assest to the offshore racing community and I am forever greatful, hope all is well with you my friend

Scotty B
Hey Scotty,
good to see you still associate with us little people now that you are a big time rock star, I still remember you as the nobody with a little boat. OK just kidding. Michelle loved the sport and worked hard to try and move it forward but it was always an uphill battle as I said before. she would be thrilled to see what you are doing now. as for me, I am just hanging out up here in the Georgia mountains, building hot rods and enjoying the peace and quiet. if you are ever up this way I have plenty of room if you want to hang out for a couple days.
steve
Old 01-13-2016, 06:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
Good network television is one of the few things that can possibly dramatically change offshore racing, it'll bring fans and sponsors.
yes it can but this is what I have talked about with the rose colored glasses. when you watch a show it needs to be made for the people that dont know anything about it and do not know yet they have an interest. the die hard fans will always watch because that is what they want to do. you have to build the audience to a much bigger base and the shows I have seen in the past were too boring for someone to just decide to continue watching. editing with enough raw footage can result in a great show but you have to have the footage. every turn boat, support boat, in boat and chopper footage. then you can build a show.
one of the things that really made me understand this was an interview with country singer Clint Black. they asked him "how do you know if a song will succeed?" he said you have 15 seconds. in that first 15 seconds you decide to continue listening or change the station. after that I started watching the technical side of NASCAR and other sports. how long will you see the same camera angle? no more than 10-15 seconds and then it goes to another camera. why? your brain thinks something is going on because the camera changed. this goes back to what I said about you have to make it seem interesting to get people to pay attention. can an exciting show be put together, absolutely, but it takes someone with outside the box thinking to get the attention of those not already excited to see it.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Another example is KW turn one and that nasty outside leg. When it was out further as a fan you had no idea what was going on out there and who was coming around turn 3 leading coming into the harbor. Sitting on the wall watching everyone was speculating on who was who and betting on there favorite team. You didn't know until they roared by who was actually winning. Now that made you sit on the edge of your seat and wait lap after lap to see who was winning. Im not saying I don't want to see the action on the crazy parts of the course, I do but maybe not just now at the race. This is where race editors can put together all the video of those areas we couldn't see and put together one kick a$$ video for TV with on board, helicopter and turn boat footage.
that is why I keep saying I hate the short course. it is not always what you see, some times it is the anticipation of what you hope to see. same on the course as in your imaginary strip club. would you still throw the dollars up there if she walked on stage in her birthday suit? not that any one on here would ever be in that situation but purely for sake of argument.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Maybe that's a good idea. 1/2 the distance of the Super Cat class. Nothing wrong with balls out big speed for 40-50 miles. IMO that's still no easy task and would add to the excitement of nothing to leave on the table. Running at the end of the day the fans don't need another a long dragged out class. IMO no one wants to watch more than 3-5 laps anyway. The whole endurance thing is gone. Fast competitive racing is the order of the day for that class. As an example EVERYONE wants to see the first lap and every lap after that the fans lose some interest every lap after. Don't get me wrong. The comeback is great but most likely its not by design but mechanical failure of the lead boat. If you could bottle the excitement of lap one you would have a insane product. As someone said earlier if there was a part of the course that you couldn't see I bet it would add drama for the fans. WTF just happened type of feeling.

annnnnnd bulls eye! attention span attention span attention span. most folks at races are very casual fans and completely zoned out after 5 minutes, and with the prospect of boats lapping each other, they get even more confused. chop down the endurance laps, and add more heats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.