Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 07-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Did you try the Parvey's ? One goes by Coolerman on this board.
yes I tried them, they do not make the intercoolers anymore and did not really have a recommendation on where to get the core from.

I have tried Whipple but I think I could buy a mining operation to get the material out of the ground and a metal foundry to process it for cheeper/easier then buying the ones from them.. He quoted me over $20k each just for the intercoolers, and 6-9 months.

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 07-17-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
yes I tried them, they do not make the intercoolers anymore and did not really have a recommendation on where to get the core from.

I have tried Whipple but I think I could buy a mining operation to get the material out of the ground and a metal foundry to process it for cheeper/easier then buying the ones from them.. He quoted me over $20k each just for the intercoolers, and 6-9 months.
Wouldn't I have been quicker to say "I'm not interested".

Keep up the killer work Tyson!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Intercoolers: Or eventually I will have a second set of these made for backups.
You might wanta get that second set now and connect them together. My experience with aluminum coolers has shown it takes a lot more surface area than copper to get the job done. At 700hp and 35lbs boost I was running a 28x12x4 core with 1-1/4 feed line, and temps would still creep up slowly. At 800-850 with 60psi compounds my buddy was running one like yours above between the turbos, and then the largest frozen boost unit, which is about 4x bigger as a primary. That actually worked pretty well.

I have plenty of good data logs from several different power levels and turbo setups tracking IAT. It takes a good sized cooler to drop 400F air down to 100F in only 4-6in of material. As for the CN cores, I know who to ask.. Everyone uses that same 5" core up to about 800hp I know. Have two of them right here, but there is no manufacture stamp on em.

Link to pics for setups above. First attachment is the 700hp setup, middle pic with compounds and two coolers on the 850hp. And the nice rectangular looking units are coupro cores, you can purchase them from www.alfalaval.us

Last edited by kidturbo; 07-18-2017 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Added Links
Old 07-18-2017, 03:35 PM
Registered

Intercoolers:

I was doing a little research on thermal conductivity and aluminum is about half of what copper is, and copper is about half of what Diamond is. Diamond is also impervious to saltwater corrosion. So now I'm in search of some intercoolers made out of Diamonds. Does anyone have any spare diamonds laying around I could use? When Tristan wakes up tomorrow morning and cannot find her ring don't tell her my plans.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-thermal-2.jpg  
Old 07-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Intercoolers:

I was doing a little research on thermal conductivity and aluminum is about half of what copper is, and copper is about half of what Diamond is. Diamond is also impervious to saltwater corrosion. So now I'm in search of some intercoolers made out of Diamonds. Does anyone have any spare diamonds laying around I could use? When Tristan wakes up tomorrow morning and cannot find her ring don't tell her my plans.
I think Yvonne has three rings she doesn't need. I'll see if I can pitch in.

Maybe a nice jewelry sponsor could help out.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:14 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Y And the nice rectangular looking units are coupro cores, you can purchase them from www.alfalaval.us
Small correction as that link didn't work for me. Try Alfa Laval - Corporate
Old 07-18-2017, 08:08 PM
Registered

My valve train parts are gold so why shouldn't the intercooler be made out of diamonds?

I know a bunch of you guys have spare engagement rings you could send me to use from when the girl said " NO , get away from me you old creep, I'm only 18 what are you 50? "
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-img_7496.jpg  
Old 07-20-2017, 08:54 AM
Registered

Exhaust header:

This is a mock up of the exhaust header for the boat, it is not water jacketed yet because we wanted to make sure the engines worked/made the power we wanted and would get on plane with the single turbo and not doing compound turbos before we spent the time water jacketing it. It will have header wrap and an exhaust blanket over it but will need jacketed for fire hazard. I have called cmi about making a header for it but they say there 12 weeks out before they could start on it. Anyone know of any other places that could either make a water jacketed header for it or jacket this one?
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-img_6719.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-img_6718.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-img_6717.jpg  

Old 07-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the mad fab skills you have you could have it knocked out in a day .
Old 07-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 575cat
For the mad fab skills you have you could have it knocked out in a day .
It would probably take me 2 days to make them, but I'm going to try to finish the boat for the shootout and between the race boat and finishing the rigging on my boat I don't have two spare days. And I don't build water jacketed exhaust very often and I hear horror stories about cracks and water leaks so I would rather someone that has done it a lot and knows how to keep the welds from cracking build them. I did look up mandrel bends a couple nights ago and have been thinking about how I would do it. We debated on trying to make a two piece billet aluminum manifold for it but have not came up with a good way to seal it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.