Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The joys of buying a used six figure performance boat. >

The joys of buying a used six figure performance boat.

Notices

The joys of buying a used six figure performance boat.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 181 Likes on 89 Posts

Kilo for President! Stand up guy!!!
Old 06-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, I am grateful for Matt's gesture, very much so. I just got off the phone with Terry and will be down there later today to look at it. Terry assures me repairs will be well over $10k. But I've learned from this experience purchasing this boat and hopefully others have too. I've also learned you can't assume what type of person someone is until you actually speak with them and hear there side of things. Thanks again Matt.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Stand up guy is an understatement! Mr Kilo, my hat's off to you! Nuke, good luck and congrats on your beautiful boat! I would think now LCM may have a good reason to step up and make this burden a little less painful to both of you....
Old 06-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kilo
Nuke – to answer some questions here.

I purchased used from NT around May 2012 and I contracted for fiberglass work in November 2012 by Welch Marine in Jamestown KY. Upon initial inspection/sanding down there were areas that needed to be corrected – no way to determine if these areas were present when I bought the boat or if they were specific to my use….I didn’t catch until end of the season.

My only guess is that whatever occurred on your maiden voyage is something new and that your fiberglass guy has removed repairs that existed previously. I can tell you without hesitation that the items you have identified were not due to a fix that I recently contracted for. She has been sitting, winterized in storage for the past 7 months and I have not touched one item on that boat. The hull you have today is the same hull, per your thread, that I ran in October.

Prior to listing the NT I had a clear conscious and even after reading this thread again today I don’t feel like I need to defend my word. But, I am in no way content with the fact that you are having to deal with this problem day 1 of your NT experience. I have spoken to you personally and I have spoken to Terry to try and learn more about the issue at hand. From his chair the initial repairs were shotty in some areas (to say the least) and he said the estimate will be in the thousands. Neither you nor I are a winner, at this stage, in this deal. With that said, I feel it is only right that I do something to help remediate and to get you back on the water. I have stroked Terry a $7K check to help with the repair – this will be in tomorrow’s mail. I am not a big money guy and that $7k was slotted for repairs on my recent purchase as she also began taking on water day 1, hour1. I am only mentioning that b/c I feel your frustration with a used boat.

Your thread started as a notice to all to perform the diligence and to take the extra step. Truthfully, I don’t know of a surveyor that would have noted this item as the boat was sound when I pulled her out in November and appeared sound when you first inspected. Again, I am sorry you are going to miss 2 months of the boating season but hopefully once this is corrected you have a great summer and get to enjoy the Tech as much as I did.

I also have some paperwork from NT on the 700’s (stamped as 700’s when I purchased) if you want me to email them to you. Just text/PM me your email.

Matt
Very Classy move
Old 06-08-2016, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-08-2016, 01:22 PM
Registered

So everyone knows, I spoke with Matt last night. Our conversation wasn't a pissing match, it was cordial. I was ending it with, Matt I will get this fixed and get on with my life, it's over. Matt said, no this isn't over. That was the end of our conversation, I did not expect he would help out like he is now. Still in disbelief. Good heart.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome and sorry to jump to conclusions with my previous posts kilo. awsome conclusion to this thread. Good luck with your skater hope she's good to you kilo and nuke keep us posted on your nt

Last edited by shepnic74; 06-08-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Registered

Just got off the phone with Dan Candido from Lake Cumberland Marine. He called to offer condolences and swears he knew nothing about any cover-up. I appreciate him reaching out, and I accepted his sympathy for my situation and we'll leave it at that. I removed my remarks from my Lake Cumberland review, but the 1 star rating will remain with the comment, I've had better experiences.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 619 Likes on 249 Posts

so i take it this is a cored hull if it needs 10 grand in repairs, once again balsa or foam core if it is.

any explanation of what caused the damage that the boat initially needed repair?

not trying to stir the pot , just curiosity.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:22 PM
Registered

When I got off the phone with Terry he said he was down to the carbon fiber on the lower starboard chine. I don't know much about the construction, i.e. cored etc..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.