Notices

Wife backed into the boat

Old 06-08-2016, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Does your wife drive a deuce and a half?

Also, I agree with a previous poster, this IS your fault, not hers. hahahaha
Old 06-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by cabin fever
Still no call back from insurance yet. I called yesterday and was told it would be 48 hours before they called me. We did get an estimate on the car. Not sure what the plan is there. Its a 91 olds cutlass. I bought it a few years ago with 35k miles. Owned by an elderly lady. Nice car, but because of its age not sure what they will do with it. Body shop said they would turn the estimate to the insurance co. Calling around today to get some estimates on the garage door. Its commerical door so doubt anyone will have one in stock. Think the compressor is fixable. Looks like it just broke the intake line. Plan to get the prop off tonight and drop it off to have looked at tomorrow. Supoosed to be sunny and 90 this weekend. Looks like we will sweat our ass off at the race track instead of boating i guess. (Son races gokarts).
What kind of door is it? Is it a panel/segmented door often seen on house garages? Or per your description, is it more like a roll-up loading dock door?
If the first, can you take it apart segment by segment?
If the latter, can you build a frame, and take off one track, and separate the individual pieces? They often slide together from the side.
You can rent heavy duty moving blankets from U-Haul, and use these to protect your boat during the removal process; same for your car. Although, you may try to build a frame over the car too.
Also, do you have any friends with an automotive shop that have a transmission jack you can borrow? This may also help you support the weight as you remove the garage door.
I have a friend with a heavy duty wrecker service, and you would be amazed at the work they can do with the boom on the truck. You might be able to cut a small hole in the door, and use rigging/ratchet straps to support the whole top side of the door, and have the truck's boom lower it to ground while constantly pulling it outward.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be 2 weeks on sunday. Still not 1 f'n phone call from insurance. Ive called everyday. Finally lost my chit and flipped out on the phone when the lady tried to tell me that i couldnt be liable for damage we caused our self , and found out they have not even started a home owners claim! Liberty mutual is a freaking joke! Luckily i have a different co for the boat. I have a new door ordered (will take 2 weeks due to size) but so far ill have to pay out of pocket. I did finally say to hell with it and worked on the door enough to get my car and boat out. Boat is going in tonight for the estimate on fiberglass then have outdrive looked at to verify all is good there. POS ins co. told me the car is a total loss but they dont have a value on it! How the phuck do they know its a total loss then? Ive tried being nice, but this nuts. At this point i am wondering why ive been paying them for insurance?
Old 06-15-2016, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Remind them of their commercials.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can be sure you'd be getting lots of calls if your insurance premiums were 2 weeks overdue.....motherphuckers.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:49 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Remind them of their commercials.
Good point. In this one, guess what, a lady breaks her garage door parking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG703Md-NWE

Last edited by SB; 06-15-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:54 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
You can be sure you'd be getting lots of calls if your insurance premiums were 2 weeks overdue.....motherphuckers.
I hade Liberty Mutual when a teenager - in late eighties. They would send my bills past due. Envelope would be stamped by PO a few days befor I got them, but open the envelope and the due date would be like a month before. Dropped them later that year and never went back.

God, I fear insurance companies.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
What kind of door is it? Is it a panel/segmented door often seen on house garages? Or per your description, is it more like a roll-up loading dock door?
If the first, can you take it apart segment by segment?
If the latter, can you build a frame, and take off one track, and separate the individual pieces? They often slide together from the side.
You can rent heavy duty moving blankets from U-Haul, and use these to protect your boat during the removal process; same for your car. Although, you may try to build a frame over the car too.
Also, do you have any friends with an automotive shop that have a transmission jack you can borrow? This may also help you support the weight as you remove the garage door.
I have a friend with a heavy duty wrecker service, and you would be amazed at the work they can do with the boom on the truck. You might be able to cut a small hole in the door, and use rigging/ratchet straps to support the whole top side of the door, and have the truck's boom lower it to ground while constantly pulling it outward.

Be careful messing with these doors if you don't know what your doing. Those springs are under an immense a out of tension. They can do serious damage or kill. I worked on doors for a long time both commercial and residential. If you haven't done it I wouldn't try alone.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks i put the door in the first go around and didnt like the springs then. This time im letting someone else handle it

They will be dropped like a bad habit when this is done! Ive not had many insurance claims in my 39 years, but this is by far the biggest hassel ive ever had.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 597 Likes on 242 Posts

My ex girlfriends dad bought her a new Altima and leased a new 350 convertible for her mom. 350 z in the garage Altima pulled in sideways in the right angle driveway.

We are midway through making some giant dinner for 8 guests arriving and realize we are short an ingredient.

He jumps in the 350 z and peels out of the garage in reverse at a right angle and smashes into the Altima.

About 10 grand in damage, cars weren't off the dealers lot 2 hours.