Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are Great Lakes Really Rougher Than Oceans? >

Are Great Lakes Really Rougher Than Oceans?

Notices

Are Great Lakes Really Rougher Than Oceans?

Old 03-21-2018, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

With everything I have heard of lotto, I envision a 40 foot offshore boat getting tossed about like a 6 inch toy boat in the bathtub, as you cannonball into the tub from the top of the bathroom sink.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
With everything I have heard of lotto, I envision a 40 foot offshore boat getting tossed about like a 6 inch toy boat in the bathtub, as you cannonball into the tub from the top of the bathroom sink.
just alittle bit rougher then that and you’ll be spot on.

In all seriousness I’ve boated on it, there it’s a great lake tons to do, awesome boats, plenty of hot girls to look at, and plenty of boat wake that comes along with a super busy narrow lake.

Last edited by mickeymcclgn; 03-21-2018 at 08:48 PM. Reason: auto corrected rougher to tougher
Old 03-22-2018, 06:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 592 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Slippery
It's not boating season yet so I'll chime in on this "my water is badder than your water " thread again

In my first post I admitted that I had very little ocean experience.

Last summer I managed to score a gig as "navigator" on a class winner in the Catalina Ski Race.

Disclaimer - I think "navigator" is Australian for "ballast"; my entire job was watch for stuff in the water (a dolphin would ruin a skiers day), stay out of the way, enjoy the ride, and drink a bunch of beer at the awards ceremony. It was an amazing experience & I can't thank the guys enough for the opportunity to ride along.

Lake MI gets "chop"; short time duration, steep, and "pointy" crests which can get very big, very fast.

What I witnessed standing behind our driver was a slightly less pointy version of our "chop" layered on top of the ocean swells.

Great Lakes guys: Picture a layer of an only slightly less gnarly version of our bumpy 2'-ish water ON TOP of another layer moving vertically and horizontally 5-6 ' at a time. Not uncomfortable, but enough movement you have to pay more attention than when in 2-3' in Lake MI.

Ocean Guys: Take that gnarly wind chop on top of your long swells, sharpen it, make it taller, speed it up, and lose 90% of the pattern and predictability. The moving swell is gone, but chop now is a series of brick walls that will rattle your fillings out and holes that appear out of nowhere and drop you like an elevator cable snapping.

That was my take...it's really tough to describe without a frame of reference for both environments.

When they're bad they both suck but it's like the difference between a hurricane and a tornado.

We can start that "which is worser" thread next winter....

Cheers

s
So lets drop a Rope and SKI!!! Those guys have Big Kahonnas
Old 03-22-2018, 06:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Lake Erie 2017, first time I ever turned back.. got sibepics from my brothers live stream, this wave left me nowhere Togo and almost capsized my 35 footer, my wife was so scared she wasn’t right for a bit and she loves big water... if people think Great Lakes are not bad, I disagree lol
Old 03-22-2018, 06:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

A couple closer to shore on way back in
Old 03-22-2018, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Not sure I’d its been mentioned as I didn’t have tome to read through this entire thread but I chalenge anyone to try boating in New England cape cod area!!
Old 03-22-2018, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Try having super high drives, and coming off plane in 7 footers, that's no fun! Then the boat won't get back on plane because of the close span, and you almost get swamped/capsized, no bueno!.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Bostonirish
Not sure I’d its been mentioned as I didn’t have tome to read through this entire thread but I chalenge anyone to try boating in New England cape cod area!!
same as Sandusky Bay channel!
Old 03-22-2018, 11:42 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
So lets drop a Rope and SKI!!! Those guys have Big Kahonnas
Don't want to hijack this thread but you have no idea & it's not just guys. Kim Lumley holds the Women's Open record at just over 54 minutes.

A friend holds the Master's record and was the first guy over 60 to finish in under 60 mins.

I'd have to look but I think the youngest to complete the course was like 7 years old.

62 miles round trip from a dead stop, slow down around the turn boat, dealing with the ocean and other boat traffic; the top classes make the trip in under an hour so do the math on how fast they're skiing & the Aussies consider it an endurance race.

The skier we pulled skis back home behind "Superman", a 21' hull with a 540 TT in front of a number 6 - at well over a 100 mph and is skiing doubles.

Just my .02 but the athletes who water ski race get nowhere near the recognition they deserve. Most people not involved somehow aren't aware it even happens.

Again, sorry for the hijack

s

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I have been in some really big water, 15-plus-foot regularly spaced seas, in the Pacific Ocean. But I've never taken the beatings out there that I've taken on Lakes Michigan and Erie ... oh, and Holgate Inlet in freaking New Jersey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.