Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are Great Lakes Really Rougher Than Oceans? >

Are Great Lakes Really Rougher Than Oceans?

Notices

Are Great Lakes Really Rougher Than Oceans?

Old 07-28-2016, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

They all can kill you
Old 07-28-2016, 11:07 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Worst water I've ever been in was the 2006 Chicago Poker Run on Lake Michigan; with 30+ mph winds straight out of the North.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

This one time, when I was a little kid, in the bath tub, it was so rough the my little red boat, my little blue boat, even my green boat, they all capsized!!
Old 07-28-2016, 11:18 PM
DFC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing about the Great Lakes is not the wave size, but the frequency/distance trough to trough. Add in rapid weather changes, tremendous susceptibility to weather's influence due to shallow waters, and irregular waves, where it isn't just troughs and peaks but more washing machine slop, and it is no joke. There are even places where waves collide (end of Long Point on Erie).

The harsher weather often tends to miss the northern coast (of Erie), so the apparent weather and/or forecast on shore can be a totally different animal than what happens out on the lake, so best to check the NOAA forecast. You can go out on a beautiful sunny morning running 60+mph nice and smooth in a 30 ft boat, and come home in fog and rain with everyone either wondering if their teeth are going to rattle out, or worse still no hope of being on plane and everyone miserable just wondering when the hell the marina is going to come into view. Binderr dundat.

Last edited by DFC; 07-28-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Worst water I've ever been in was the 2006 Chicago Poker Run on Lake Michigan; with 30+ mph winds straight out of the North.
And like at Boyne Thunder a Powerplay put on a good show! Black 38 OSO Steve brought......
Old 07-29-2016, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DFC
The thing about the Great Lakes is not the wave size, but the frequency/distance trough to trough. Add in rapid weather changes, tremendous susceptibility to weather's influence due to shallow waters, and irregular waves, where it isn't just troughs and peaks but more washing machine slop, and it is no joke. There are even places where waves collide (end of Long Point on Erie).

The harsher weather often tends to miss the northern coast (of Erie), so the apparent weather and/or forecast on shore can be a totally different animal than what happens out on the lake, so best to check the NOAA forecast. You can go out on a beautiful sunny morning running 60+mph nice and smooth in a 30 ft boat, and come home in fog and rain with everyone either wondering if their teeth are going to rattle out, or worse still no hope of being on plane and everyone miserable just wondering when the hell the marina is going to come into view. Binderr dundat.

What is an average depth of the lakes? How deep are the holes?

We have a lake nearby, very small comparatively, mile wide and 55 miles long and it can turn to chit in a hurry! It is very deep in places.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:18 AM
DFC
Registered

Originally Posted by buck35
What is an average depth of the lakes? How deep are the holes?

We have a lake nearby, very small comparatively, mile wide and 55 miles long and it can turn to chit in a hurry! It is very deep in places.
The Western 2/3rds of Erie maxes out at 60-70 feet deep, which is nothing for a body of water 10,000 sq miles. About 20 miles offshore north west from Erie PA, right in the middle of the lake, it can be as shallow as 35 feet. Almost the entire western 40 miles is between 10-30 feet deep if I remember right. The eastern 1/3rd has areas approaching 200 ft deep however.

Edit: If you're interested - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ymetry_map.png

1m = 3.3 ft

Last edited by DFC; 07-29-2016 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:51 AM
Registered

Interesting info on Lake Superior..if drained it would cover north AND south America in a foot of water
Old 07-29-2016, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

OK, so it's just a different type of water. I've seen it all except the major storms on the Great Lakes. Western Erie gets the worst as there is no sense or pattern to the water; Just giant waves and holes from every direction. Like being in the bathtub that sunk all of Phragle's boats. Had to idle home over 6-8s from PIB once. Water breaking over the bow over every wave. After 20 miles of that I planed out in 4s and it was a wet, wild and not fun ride to the Detroit River. Planed very briefly in 6s on Lake Michigan. Hopping from wave to wave. Saginaw Bay had some very close spaced 3-4s once and I was able to skip across the tops, which was fun, but slammed into about every 15th wave. So, yes, it gets bad out there but then I watch Alaska's Deadliest Catch and I just can't picture water that big. It sends the big fishing ships to harbor and sinks some. One just sunk a few days ago there in the Pacific and the Coast Guard rescued the crew. Kind of cool to know that I'm boating in the World's roughest water in a 22' boat
Old 07-29-2016, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ocean obviously gets much bigger. Difference in the great lakes is the unevenness of waves, unpredictability of weather, and the fact there is shoals, rocks everywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.