Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are Great Lakes Really Rougher Than Oceans? >

Are Great Lakes Really Rougher Than Oceans?

Notices

Are Great Lakes Really Rougher Than Oceans?

Old 07-29-2016, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Why do they call it a lake when it it`s a River?
It has a dam for flood control, like many lakes in the Midwest, Beaver, Table rock are similar to LOTO but not as big, I've seen over 200 ft. of water depth in table rock, most days you can see down 15-20 ft, its that clear.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've boated in some big stuff on Lake Michigan....but for a couple years in college, I lived in an old Coast Guard station right on the shore of Lake Superior. Gordon Lightfoot had it right...the Gales of November are incredible...just amazing.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
He probably meant 2-3s in the ocean, 80mph based on a pitot speedo. Or he was drunk...Or a moron.

I've been aboard a 24 Laguna (30-35mph) in the Gulf with 2-3 footers, response from myself and other passengers was mostly "Weeee!"

I've ran Lake Huron/Saginaw Bay in multiple 23-24ft boats, and been aboard same in Lake Michigan, passenger response above 3ft wave height is generally summarized by the words "Oww", "Phuk", and "Look out!"
I boat the Saginaw Bay every weekend and grew up on it. 40 miles long, 25 miles wide with max depth 30-40 feet further to the northeast near the Lake Huron entrance. Most of the lake basin is less than 20 feet deep. Very short distance between sharp waves and wind is always blowing. When wind is from west, depending on strength, can blow 1-3 feet of water OUT. From the east can blow 1-3 foot water IN. Wave heights are random and defiantly occasional "rogue" wave. And occasional "hole." I'm running a 38' Powerquest and frequently get blown off yet. Solid 3-5's as Mild Thunder stated are friggin rough and are only fun for a short time. rarely do we get big "rollers," usually always sharp chop/whitecaps. It is almost eerie when it is calm as glass out there. And that can change in a blink of an eye. If you venture out far, always keep an eye on the sky.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
I've boated in some big stuff on Lake Michigan....but for a couple years in college, I lived in an old Coast Guard station right on the shore of Lake Superior. Gordon Lightfoot had it right...the Gales of November are incredible...just amazing.

And there's some days even the Apache's stay home
Old 07-29-2016, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
And there's some days even the Apache's stay home
Uh...ya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8FaotwbMdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8FaotwbMdw

Last edited by Wasted Income; 07-29-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Spent 15 years boating in the Great Lakes before moving to the Gulf of Mexico. This place is a millpond compared to the Lakes.

Even our violent summer storms do not produce anywhere near the waves that I have seen resulting from sudden storms on the Lakes.

Biggest danger of the Lakes is your not going to last long in that 50 degree water.

The Gulf isn't exactly the ocean either.....not a fair comparison at all.

Granted this is not huge or anything but this is my buddies 4 Apache coming out of Bunces pass in St. Pete...not exactly "smooth" lake water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCw_SHSwCC4

Last edited by Nate5.0; 07-29-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayfan
I think it was in 2000 that Buffalo hosted a 2 day APBA sanctioned Off Shore race at the Buffalo Outer Harbor on the location of the old Shooters/Pier Resturant and Bar. I worked that event in a safety boat. Thank goodness the posted us at the south entrance to the break wall.
Saturday was Factory 1 and all the P Class boats and some testing of the F-2 and Modified and up classes. Saturday was rough enough to break some boats and bruise some egos but Sunday came and wind was high enough the waves over the Break Wall were incredible. I remember driving across the Peace Bridge at 7am saying to myself "there is no way the Coast Guard is going to allow this race to continue today" and by 10am we had our official answer.
Western Lake Erie can be a ***** when she wants to be.
I was a safety boat at the same race in Buffalo NY. As mentioned Saturday was not bad and some great racing. We slept on board at the Marina and all night the wind and waves kept building. Looked out at the lake Sunday morning and decided that I didn't care what the racers did....I wasn't going out of the harbor.

Padraig
Old 07-29-2016, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWeYa0_5bc Pretty neat stuff when you've got time to watch it.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Th
Old 07-29-2016, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Hook'em
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWeYa0_5bc Pretty neat stuff when you've got time to watch it.
Great video!!!! Thanks for posting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.