Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Here we go AGAIN.......OPINIONS PLEASE......24ft Excalibur find >

Here we go AGAIN.......OPINIONS PLEASE......24ft Excalibur find

Notices

Here we go AGAIN.......OPINIONS PLEASE......24ft Excalibur find

Old 08-21-2016, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyones opinions, I really appreciate them, good or bad. O talked to the guy last night and he told me a little more about the boat. It was his sons who left it there when he moved to mass. Heres the kicker I guess with this one now. He said it had twin 350 chevy motors in it and I didnt really beleive him but didnt tell him that. I had him send me some pics this morning of the rear of the boat, transom. Low and behold, had twins, drives are missing but the gimbles and bellows are still in it, not sure about anything else on the inside. But I was VERY surprised when he sait it had twins in it as I dont recall ever seeing one with them. Anyways, heading out now, 3hr drive one way, ti go take a look at it and take some more pics because the trailer is not ready yet so it wont be till next weekend till I get her home. I will keep you all updated when I get back later.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Drive safely....
Old 08-21-2016, 08:43 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Just as example:
1979 24ft Pantera, over $40k in work 1-2 years ago. Asking $19,900
http://forums.boatfreaks.org/showthread.php?t=34914
Old 08-21-2016, 05:22 PM
Registered

Ok, im back and while I was down there I took some more pics and added them to my photobucket, I will ad the link at the end so PLEASE, take a look. All I HAVE TO SAY IS WOOOOWWWWW, THIS HULL IS HURTING. I was told that it had twin 350 chevy motors but when I got there was told that his son was having 2 motors rebuilt, ditched the whole project and even left the motors at the place that was rebuilding them. Come to find out, after I got there, it has two inline chevy 6cyl in it????? WTF is up with that, if anyone knows, PLEASE chime in. I mean it might be cheaper then twin v8 motors but twin 6 in this boat, Why? Also in the pics, inside the very small so called cuddy, looked like all the gel coat was peeling and flaking right off as you can see on the floor inside. Then there are all these holes that have wooden plugs in them, why so many? Im just wondering if this boat was just strictly used for racing and thats the reason for so many plugs, I dont know, thats why im on here asking the pros, once again. The gel coat is just BAAAD all over the boat but is it all fixable and worth it. I also couldnt find the vin number, I figured it would have been on the back right upper corner somewhere on the transom. Anyways, here is the link to the rest of the pics, maybe you all can explain to me what is wrong here. Oh, btw.... I also got him down on the price of $275, and thats delivered 165 miles to my yard form his, anygood???

Boat pics link....... http://s216.photobucket.com/user/jdi...?sort=3&page=1
Old 08-21-2016, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 33 Posts

sad to see the old boat just laying there rotten and sun burned
but we all know what its going to take to float it again
and trying to get across what u get now for 275.00
a fiberglass shell,,,,,,
many that have restored a older hull has made their comments
so again if u want to say u have a 24 ex then get it
if u want to have an under 30 offshore boat to use
buy 1 of the 1s listed
as they are running to enjoy it as u slowly give em tlc

Last edited by johnmiffco; 08-21-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 372 Likes on 250 Posts

In the cuddy and engine compartment, it is not gelcoat peeling off imo, it is only paint, should be an easy fix! Talking about the paint of course!
Old 08-21-2016, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know what the scrap price on cast iron is, but you'd have a half ton of profit in the back of that boat. It's going to need stringers and transom anyway, you could go to a single big block. Personally, I'd rather have a back alley vasectomy with no anesthetic than take on a project like that. That looks like a 168sq feet of headache and stress to me.... But if you're really desperate for a project, they're not making any more Excaliburs, and you can't go down to the factory and buy a Pantera, Sunsation Rocket, Jaws, Python, or Aero anymore, either.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:01 PM
Registered

I'm going to burst your bubble.Run Forrest Run!
Old 08-21-2016, 06:07 PM
Registered

I wish you the best with your decision; but I think based on those new pictures that thing looks like a disaster. Yes anything can be fixed for a price and time but no way I would bother on that one.....especially the way it's been left uncovered and not sitting in a position that water can drain out. You can pretty much guarantee that all wood in that is going to be rotted to some degree and need to be replaced...which would include the transom, floor, stringers (all the way up), etc. Also it's tough to tell by the pics but the fiberglass looks like it has spider cracks all over. My 2 cents if someone treats a boat that bad that they can't even angle it so water drains out or put a $15 tarp over it there's probably nightmares of issues down the road.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Not uncommon for a small and narrow twin to have inline 6's.

Looking at your photobucket, I see some old school BMX. I was completely hooked on that hobby for quite awhile. Fun stuff!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.