Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Here we go AGAIN.......OPINIONS PLEASE......24ft Excalibur find >

Here we go AGAIN.......OPINIONS PLEASE......24ft Excalibur find

Notices

Here we go AGAIN.......OPINIONS PLEASE......24ft Excalibur find

Old 08-21-2016, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I also got him down on the price of $275, and thats delivered 165 miles to my yard form his, anygood???

If you haul it home, tell him you will dispose of his trash for free.

And the twin straight 6 isnt all that uncommon back in the day. My sister has a 26 bertram moppie with them. Its not fast but its not a slug either and it probably weighs 3 to 4 times what the excaliber weighs and its wide,

Last edited by phragle; 08-21-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Twin sixes are cool with lots of advantages. Still, a big single makes more sense to me. Not a lot of guys know how to make inline sixes produce much power but there are a few out there. If you decide to go that route I have a pair of nearly complete 292s in boxes in my storage unit that you can have for the price of the Excalibur. . They came out of my 24x8 Cig.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'd run away and buy, not build. If you're contemplating the delta between $500 and $275, no offense, but I honestly believe you're in over your head buying into this project. It could be free--wouldn't matter. Would be "free" like a free puppy. What's $225 when it's going to cost you 50-75k to do anything other than jury-rig a mess?

Best wishes--it's a cool old hull and would be great to see her brought back from the dead.

Mike

Last edited by Ghost24; 08-21-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that it really matters I guess at this point but I just added a couple of the transome from the outside...... here.... http://s216.photobucket.com/user/jdi...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by jdinvt; 08-21-2016 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-21-2016, 08:13 PM
Registered

You would be better off building a boat from scratch, than taking on that pile. I've been there and done that with a running boat, and wouldn't do it again, it's just not worth it.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...ld-thread.html < When I did this, I easily spent 7, 8 or 9 thousand dollars on tools, equipment and supplies; on top of the thousand or so hours that I spent doing the work. And for the most part, I re-used the majority of the expensive parts, i.e. engine and drive.

But for the amount of work you are looking to take on, I would buy some plans and build a smaller boat from scratch rather than haul somebody else's junk back.

Something like this would be sweet:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boa...ild-27118.html
Old 08-21-2016, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been where you are. Trying to get into boating on a budget. If you are starting from scratch....alot of times what seams a deal isnt really a deal. Before I bought my boat there were a few of them that I was hell bent on buying, but a few friends who have experience told me to hold off. Thank god I listened. In hindsight I can see that they advised me right. Now dont get me wrong, there are a few projects worth it, but it depends on the brand of hull. Yes it makes a difference. If you have redone a few boats before and have the experience I would say what the hell, go for it. But you are green, and I can see spending too much and getting frustrated and selling for 1/2 the $ you got in it.

If it were my project, I would gut the boat, do the stringers and transom, buy a merc 300 slap it on and call it a day. But even if you do all of the work yourself, you will be in at 20k. And the bottom line is that you will have a 20k excalibur. If you are going I/O it is going to cost even more. Do yourself a favor. Start putting $ a side and buy something running. Those two boats posted seem to be good deals if they check out. You will be suprised how much things cost when doing a redo. Trust me. Have you priced a decent set of exhaust lately? Gallon of west system? Gallon of awlgrip? New fuel tank? Alot of things you never think of. Simple example. Bought a boat with an iffy transom. Didnt want to take a chance. $4,400.00 bill I didn't see coming.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

"You get what you pay for....."
Never a truer word spoken and this boat is priced about right. (give or take a couple of hundred)

We don't know about your finances, if that's all you can afford right now, may be better to save a bit and buy a better project in 6 months? If you can spend a little more right now, you may save a lot more down the rebuild track.

Someone must know of an old boat (that's worth repairing) just sitting around gathering dirt.... The OP sounds very genuine, I'd like to see him get started.

RR
Old 08-21-2016, 10:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Don't know about geography and where you are but something like this might make more sense.....

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/5734402481.html

Link was from member sp123 posted on here.....
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...g-project.html

RR
Old 08-22-2016, 12:37 PM
Registered

Alright, im listening and going to bag this one as well. I think what I might do is put a little money into the project car that I have, get that running and cleaned up some so I can get a little more cash for it then sell it for around $2000-2500. Then I will at least have that money to play with to maybe find something. Thanks everyone for all your input, ideas and suggestions. I will post again later if and when I find something again.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

No offense intended and I hope o don't come off so sounding like a snobbish dick (becuase I'm just another poor boater). But if your trying to figure out how you can scrape up 2 grand to buy a bare hull to build, you in the wrong sport. Buy a little runabout or a toon and enjoy the water. My brother just picked up a wellcraft bow rider for 700 bucks and he and his family are having a blast
Old 08-22-2016, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
No offense intended and I hope o don't come off so sounding like a snobbish dick (becuase I'm just another poor boater). But if your trying to figure out how you can scrape up 2 grand to buy a bare hull to build, you in the wrong sport.
Sad as it is, it's a fact. Last season I bought an older, running 24' that was very well maintained and spent well over $2000 on parts and materials this spring, still. One good gremlin and that $2000-2500 will be gone like a thief in the night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.