Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Here we go AGAIN.......OPINIONS PLEASE......24ft Excalibur find >

Here we go AGAIN.......OPINIONS PLEASE......24ft Excalibur find

Notices

Here we go AGAIN.......OPINIONS PLEASE......24ft Excalibur find

Old 08-19-2016, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

$450 becomes $14,500 in a parts list. Good luck, I hope you get it and enjoy the build.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the group that this one is a much better candidate than the twin engine Baja since only 1 engine and there's a few builds in the Excalibur section that you can reference.....this will be a more desirable boat when finished when you go to sell it but just make sure you're running the numbers on a build like this. It always seems cheaper upfront until you actually start buying the parts and then it sky rockets. The trend I've noticed with 24' boats like this with a narrow beam (and I own one) is that people think they're awesome until they have one and then the next thing is they want to upgrade to a larger boat. I love mine but I can tell you it's not a boat to take a bunch of friends out entertaining because the cockpit gets small real quick. That said they're amazing hulls that will surprise you how well they do for their size in big water. I'd suggest reaching out to some of the guys on here who have rebuilt similar Excaliburs and Panteras and find out how much money they truly spent on their build and how much time it took. Then look at those similar boats being for sale for months and not selling anywhere near what they put into it. Just something to think about.....if you truly want this boat to keep long term then it makes sense, but if this is just another boat you came across and don't have any personal love connection with then I'd have to recommend buying something much more turnkey. I regularly see 25' Checkmates from the 1990's that are running and finished with a Bravo1 and big blocks selling for $6-$10k that may need a little love but are light years ahead of the project this boat is. Just something to think about
Old 08-20-2016, 06:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have a 24-7 pantera that I'm rounding home on a project with.

My time: 5 years

My cost: 50,000

Sure, you could hillbilly it together for 15 grand, but just like anything else in life, you get out EXACTLY what you put into it. im talking about the experience and result not the money. You will NEVER get your money out of it!

I'm not trying to bust your bubble here, just giving you a first hand account of what the actual cost and timeline is when restoring a 24-7 hull.

Good luck with your project and I hope you take it on as it can be a very fun and rewarding experience. Just don't expect to go boating anytime soon and quadruple whatever you think it's gonna cost you.

Last edited by vintage chromoly; 08-20-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,134 Likes on 479 Posts

As has already been stated, this boat has a pedigree and a sense of classic powerboat to it. Much better starter than an old Baja.
Buy the boat, blood, sweat, tears and vast sums of money wil be shed but at the end, in a year or two, or three.... (doesn't matter how long) you could have something special.

My suggestion would be to keep it very simple. It was a simple boat when it was manufactured so staying simple pays credit to its originality and will save a few hassles and $$$. I would be planning Bravo drive and fairly stock power but that's a long way away yet. Try not to add up the money because you won't get it back, not even from a fanatic. Do it because you'll enjoy it and it's good for you!

Good luck mate, bring it on!

RR
Old 08-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 33 Posts

the 27 ex for 10k is a good price for a running boat
there also is a 24 ex on FB swap shop running for 6k
cannot go wrong on both boats running for the price
as every1 has stated in running condition even needing tlc
u save lots of $ and time in the beginning on the drivetrain,controls,wiring,fuel tank not corroded from sitting up,guages,ect
but if 450 is all ur seeing to own a 24 ex
better be sat down with a boat repair/restorer type person and do the full math of all needed
including cost of hull repairs,,,,if floor ,stringers and transom are shot
I have a glass shop and do builds and restorations
right now in the shop is a 28 hull that will have 20k in the hull repairs only when leaves
not trying to deture u but smart money is on a running boat
t hawk just restored his 27
I have a resored 27 also
and were done with new everything to look nice
and that comes with a price

Last edited by johnmiffco; 08-20-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

We have a nice 30' or so Excalibur that is twins just down the road rotting away for years here. It's sad actually.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 08-20-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Last edited by Nate5.0; 08-20-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My folks had an orange 24 back when I was in elementary school. I feel like it was a 1978, but it could have been an 1980. Had a 330 with some work done to it, and a TRS. I seem to remember on its best day according to the Nordskog it hit 72MPH.

Last I heard it was in Pasadena MD.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

If anybody is looking for a relatively cheap toy , Miami Craigslist https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/5729782712.html . Dont know anything about it , but a triple Sea Hawk passed me when I was running 75mph +. Old power , but parts are cheap
Old 08-20-2016, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The excalibur and the sea hawk are not bad buys. Plus a running 24 for 6k? As long as the hull is solid good deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.