Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I pledge to not drink while operating a boat >

I pledge to not drink while operating a boat

Notices

I pledge to not drink while operating a boat

Old 08-30-2016, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, I never drink if running boat.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:06 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I have adoped this policy for myself long ago, I was brought up on the water and have a lot of respect for it and the whole responsibility of boating. For me its no alcohol before or during running the boat period and it has been this way since I had my first boat in my teens. Now dont get me wrong . . . . I will catch up when we're in for the night or get where we are going . . . . Its why I have a boat with a cabin . . . . I can lean into it with the best of them. Its enough of a sensory overload running these things at times, cant imagine trying to do it impaired.

We lost someone on the river here just two days ago, barely walking distance from my shop. I did not know them but they were close to some very good friends of mine and i recognize the boat from our island hangout. Group of four closed a bar, ran up river at speed in an entirely no wake zoned river in the dark and went under a dock killing driver leaving two in critical condition and one un hurt. These guys knew the area well and knew the no wake zone, they were not a quarter mile from where they left and probably not a quarter mile from where they were going. I just cant help thinking it wouldnt have happened if judgment and common sense were not impaired. i see it all the time, friends casually drink all day and dont give it a second thought. This is to close for me, i just hate reading about something that is so easily preventable.

Not trying to preach . . . . we just have to be smarter than that. You have to think about everyone around you, loved ones, the ones you leave behind asking these questions. Its just not worth risking . . . . just my two cents friends . . . .

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/391581711.html
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 08-30-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:17 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I will never drink and boat, never have, never will.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:35 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

I won't get into my opinion because I don't like to play mother...lol.

Penalties are stiff here (NH)
If you get a DWI on a boat,snowmobile, in a car or etc, it counts against everything that has a motor, everything you can drive. IE; you lose ability to drive anything ! Get caught driving any of these after a DWI and loss of liscense, you are fuked.

Edit in: I would guess some other states are this way. Something for people to look into, as this could be a life changer for many people.

Last edited by SB; 08-31-2016 at 05:42 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Lord knows that I've hoisted a few in my day --

Call me stupid - I don't care-- But I don't permit ANY booze on our boat.

3pointstar
Old 08-31-2016, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't drink... don't think there is a place or time for it in my life AT all, but I don't believe in trying to regulate or push my BS on others.

I enjoyed my weekend at LOTO.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, the penalties here in Ontario, Canada are severe.

DWI or BWI is part of the Criminal Code up here which is why, if some of you from the states have had problems with Canada Border Services crossing the border you have to go into your past.

If you ever had a DWI/BWI in the states, it is considered a Criminal Charge up here and you can be refused entry at the boarder.

I'm no prude either but the booze doesn't come out until after the boat and trailer are put to bed in the driveway and I'm on the deck with a BBQ to attend to.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:03 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Thanks for the reminder. Yup, since we border Canada this is for real for us too...we can't go to Canada to ride either if one has a DWI.

Originally Posted by SB
I won't get into my opinion because I don't like to play mother...lol.

Penalties are stiff here (NH)
If you get a DWI on a boat,snowmobile, in a car or etc, it counts against everything that has a motor, everything you can drive. IE; you lose ability to drive anything ! Get caught driving any of these after a DWI and loss of liscense, you are fuked.

Edit in: I would guess some other states are this way. Something for people to look into, as this could be a life changer for many people.

Originally Posted by Clayfan
Agreed, the penalties here in Ontario, Canada are severe.

DWI or BWI is part of the Criminal Code up here which is why, if some of you from the states have had problems with Canada Border Services crossing the border you have to go into your past.

If you ever had a DWI/BWI in the states, it is considered a Criminal Charge up here and you can be refused entry at the boarder.

I'm no prude either but the booze doesn't come out until after the boat and trailer are put to bed in the driveway and I'm on the deck with a BBQ to attend to.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I buy lower alcohol beer and limit myself to one every couple of hours. If at a raft up party I can get drunk but wait until I'm sober to drive home. Only drove my boat drunk once. Cold beer just tastes so good out on the water in the hot sun ... I won't drive drunk again but my cooler will always have cold beer and water ... Sorry, I can't take the teetotaler pledge.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:53 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Over 40 years of owning boats and not once to this day never had 1 ounce of any type of booze on my boats nor even drank a sip on anyone elses boat. Actually pretty proud to say I have about one or 2 drinks per year only, so I guess call me a non drinker anyways. Very easy for me to boat and not drink. I do not need it. I am silly enough nor act my age without drinking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.