life expectency of #3 and #6 drives

Old 10-18-2002, 06:31 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

My Boats: Toy Boat - Toy Boat - Toy Boat

Thanks
Old 10-18-2002, 08:16 PM
elimi

yes,thank you. More good stories please!

Old 10-19-2002, 01:15 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

I have seen a lot of #4 and #6 and #6a's some # 3's . The #4's have a 750 hp limit. more than that is borrowed time. Depending on the ratio, t-man and hp ect is the life. On some of the prodjects 1100 plus "real hp" 1 year upper gearsets are micro pitting. The ratio makes a big difference 1.62 weak-1.24 net forged better. The torque is multiplied by the ratio therefor more torque, slow speed big prop faster failure. break-in is important.
pat W
Rik go back to sleep. My stuff is in Tommy Bahama with Tri-max drives. Our stuff speaks for itself. Where is your svlt boat?
Old 10-21-2002, 02:40 PM
DEVIL MAN

The best point of a #6 on a pleasure boat is the reliability factor...knowing I can go out and have fun and the one thing that will probably not break is the #6....we can lose water, fuel pumps, alternators, all sorts of small BS stuff, but that #6 is very dependable. It is not fun and relaxing to take your boat out with a pair of 800 sc's mated to a bravo cause you know that at any second, that drive can let go...just the way it is. Some guys get away with it..for a while, but eventually, the odds catch up with you. I am guessing you can pick up a new 6 with the transom assembly for around 35 to 40 K????? It is a lot to stomach...I guess it is worth it, just depends on each boater and what their priorities and budget allows. A 500 EFI with a bravo XR works just as well when it comes to comfort and reliability!!!!!!

DMan...and the D is for "Lets keep those Drives alive!!!!"

Old 10-24-2002, 09:28 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

My Boats: 1999 Active Thunder 25' Factory 1 Race Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by catmando
I hate to tell you this(maybe you already know it), but the Weismann 6 Drive is far better than the Merc 6. It's lighter, stronger and uses a lot less HP.

The Weismann raceboats kick the Merc boat's butts every time in head-to-head battles.
Catman,
Dude, what are you smokin? There have been times when we have passed the big red Scarab, and we're only a single!
Forget about comparing it to a 6 drive, I don't see any way the weismann drive could out perform the Bravo drive for performance or dependability. In fact, Nigel has had two weisman drive failures this season alone. And that's with less than 530hp in front of them! With the exception of the Utz fountain taking out a log in Cleveland, I don't believe there have been any other Bravo drive failures in Super V lite single or twin.
I really wish Nigel would just go back to Bravo I drives. It was faster, more reliable and he deserves to be in a competitive boat again.

Last edited by Gordo; 10-24-2002 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:30 PM
Kent Perroux

Simple question between large drives....

What percentage of drives failed while racing this year by style. Limit to the Supercat, SuperVee and SuperVee Light for a more even distribution of results.

Merc #6 Weissmann

# of Races ?? ??
# of Failures ?? ??

% of Failure ?? ??
(fairure rate)

I have been out of the loop this year so maybe someone can come up with the numbers. This should give a fair comparison between brands. The HP on all of these run between 530-750 but are driven hard. Probably should add a correction factor for the lower HP SVL's to be more accurate, but just a straight distribution should give some indication.

Last edited by Kent Perroux; 10-24-2002 at 01:40 PM.

Old 10-24-2002, 01:56 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

My Boats: 1999 Active Thunder 25' Factory 1 Race Edition
Default Hiya kent!

Good point. I'd like to see these numbers myself. But, I would like to add one point. While the SVL teams are running less than 530 horse, they also are running Bravo drives rather than the number 6 drives. So, maybe we need to look at the numbers for

.....................# of units racing # of races # of failures

Weisman--

Mercury #6--

Bravo (all)--
Old 10-24-2002, 02:47 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

The problems that occured with nigel had nothing to do with hp.
It is a situation that is occuring on the same side. It is a part that we do not manufacture. Since then we have switched brands.
As for nigel being competetive it is a weight issue. When the weight comes off he will be there.
The part that I am interested in is how much does it cost to rebuild bravo and how often? What is the cost when the gimbal snaps and you loose the whole drive and prop and sink your boat?
Pat Weismann
Old 10-24-2002, 10:00 PM
GOT MERC?

Cool

I give Pat credit where credit is do. It's takes a big man to try to run against Mercury. But it is just too bad that his drive will end up where all the Kaama stuff is. RUN BLACK! and run out front!

Last edited by Goodfella; 10-25-2002 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:39 PM
Registered

Sorry Goodfella, but mine are pink
Robert