Notices

life expectency of #3 and #6 drives

Old 10-25-2002, 07:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great thread...Very Interesting!

Catman,
With all due respect, that was a pretty bold statement. I think you have to look at the bigger picture and look to the race circuit for the numbers. Reiterating what Gordo mentioned, I can't help but think first off about the Scarab with multiple failures this year. Those HP numbers aren't very extreme at all by today's standards...
Old 10-25-2002, 10:11 AM
Kent Perroux

When a customer buys a product, he is buying from the end manufactuer. The end manufacurer is responsible for all of the parts he makes, buys and uses to assemble the final product.

I made a couple of inquiries (not sure how accurate, but is a good base).

Number of failures reported in APBA this year:

Merc Number 6: 0
Weissman: 2
Bravos in SVL: 1 (log strike)

There are more Mer#6's running in Supercat and more Bravo's running in SVL.

Other things need to consider for purchase -
a) Where can they be serviced?
b) Self Servicable?
c) Distributers?
d) Price of parts
e) Warranty

For the record, I am definately for new product development and competition in the marketplace. I am the guy that usually buys the Odd-Ball products and end up having to wait months for parts. New products keep the big manufacturers from becoming a monopoly.

Last edited by Kent Perroux; 10-25-2002 at 10:15 AM.

Old 10-25-2002, 02:46 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by shifter
The problems that occured with nigel had nothing to do with hp. It is a situation that is occuring on the same side. It is a part that we do not manufacture. Since then we have switched brands.
Switched brands since last Sunday?
It sounds as if this "part" has failed before, ("a situation that is occuring on the same side"). If this is the case, why wasn't the part switched out of Nigels boat before the race?

Steve Miklos wrote,
"I have put over 6200 miles on a Mercury XR outdrive with no rebulids and it won the National Championship".

And if I remember right, we ran this season with the same Bravo that you ran last year.

Last edited by Gordo; 10-25-2002 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Kent Perroux
When a customer buys a product, he is buying from the end manufactuer. The end manufacurer is responsible for all of the parts he makes, buys and uses to assemble the final product.

I made a couple of inquiries (not sure how accurate, but is a good base).

Number of failures reported in APBA this year:

Merc Number 6: 0
Weissman: 2
Bravos in SVL: 1 (log strike)

There are more Mer#6's running in Supercat and more Bravo's running in SVL.

Other things need to consider for purchase -
a) Where can they be serviced?
b) Self Servicable?
c) Distributers?
d) Price of parts
e) Warranty

For the record, I am definately for new product development and competition in the marketplace. I am the guy that usually buys the Odd-Ball products and end up having to wait months for parts. New products keep the big manufacturers from becoming a monopoly.
Kent I would like to add (f) Resale
You couldn't sale a performance boat in this tri-state area unless it had a Bravo.It's depenability is proven
Old 10-26-2002, 06:30 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve conratulations on your champinship.

Good fella, We don't try we DO. My father did the Kaama and it was good in its day. I hope the products that my brother and I do get a place in history next to what our father and grandfather have done.

Kent-Doug,
a)on the boat for most service
b) yes
c)not as many as merc
d)example $450 per gearset (4) per drive
e)depends on type of boat and condition

Last edited by shifter; 10-26-2002 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2002, 06:58 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gordo,
The part Nigel failed was a bearing. We have run over 800 hp through the drive with no failures. It is happenening on one side of Nigels boat. We are looking into the problem with out the use of data aquisition and just on what the throttleman is saying. When we see the drive next week we will do an autopsy. We think it is a vibration problem. Natural frequency. We change things one thing at a time based on what we see. We are building Nigel another drive for the worlds and based on what he described. We have made a change that should cure the problem. Why does Nigels life interrest you so much?

F- Mike,
Every boat is different. In these particular boats we have opted for a low cg counter torque installation. We can do do "staggard engine"" side by side" and the drives would have run just fine. We run the counter rotation in the transmission to make the drives simple. We lead the pack when it comes to innovation and daring to be different. Mercury even gave us an award for this. How much hp does a universal joint use?

pat W
Old 10-26-2002, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

excuse me for my lack of understanding but:

1-weisman to compare with bravo1 or ssm#6?

2- are these that 'space looking' drives?

3- as I understand weisman produces their own drive + they modify mercury ssm #6 am I right?

4-weisman drives do they need trans?

5-what are the advantages /disadvantages of weisman drives by producer point of view?

6-what are the advantages /disadvantages of weisman drives by user point of view?

thnx

Last edited by timucin; 10-26-2002 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:40 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by shifter
..."We have made a change that should cure the problem. Why does Nigels life interrest you so much?"
I'm all for new and innovative ideas, and I'm all for anyone that can compete against mighty Mercury. It's just that some ideas work better than others, and yours seems to need a little more work. I applaud you efforts and hope to see your product come into its own some day.
While Nigels "life" is really not my business, I do have a world of respect for the talent, time, professionalism and money he has put into his own racing program, and indeed the sport of offshore racing itself. I raced against him in Super V some years ago. Now we race on the same team, (GM Vortec Powerteam) and I hate to see a fellow team member not racing to his full potential.