Keeping The Great Lakes Great >

Keeping The Great Lakes Great

Notices

Keeping The Great Lakes Great

Old 03-10-2017, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Burst pipeline is my fear. Why does a foreign pipeline going from Canada and to Canada run underneath Lake Michigan ?
Don't be scared. It hasn't leaked a drop in sixty plus years. The greens want to do everything possible to stop fossil fuel and this is just another well funded and well publicized scare tactic. Shut it down and they will just ship it by truck, train and boat. Then we'll see how much ends up in the water.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
I just wonder how it became fashionable to decry anything that mentions environment but the largest chunk of the budget by far is defense and it's taboo? No waste there right?
There is waste and fraud in all areas of government!
Apparently you don't like the military looking at your responses.
All branches of government do the same thing, lobby for more money to get more things they want in pork.
The facts are we spend way more than we should to get next to zero results in so many areas of government.
And it's our money given to the government.
If you were spending 300 million out of your pocket are you content with the results your getting?
How about if you cut out all the pork research crap that ties up most of that money and just spend money on actually doing something and solve a problem!

This is all agencies across the usa
Old 03-11-2017, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

The fact of the matter is we can all talk till we are blue in the face about it but until there are people in there that want to listen we are just blowing smoke up are a$$es. Let's hope with the new staff in office that there might be some changes in the near future.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:12 AM
Registered

There will be changes. Not sure if it will be good for the environment. I also agree that there is an insane amount of wasted government spending on studies and other useless projects. I have been in government work for almost 20 years now and it still amazes me. Like most of you on here, I love having clean water to go play in. The local rivers here in Pittsburgh have cleaned up a huge amount compared to when I was a child. I don't think that you could ever spend enough money to protect the environment as long as it is spent efficiently. Wasting it on studies for problems you never plan to solve or do not need to solve is not the solution.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:23 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by hustlerguy
Apparently you don't like the military looking at your responses.
Huh?

Originally Posted by hustlerguy
If you were spending 300 million out of your pocket are you content with the results your getting?
I'd ask you the same thing about the 600 billion on military spending. Or I could pick any other sector too. Again, why target our playgrounds?

And no to your questions, not enough hard line action...too much lobbying and politics, talk about waste.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by sheperd
Don't be scared. It hasn't leaked a drop in sixty plus years. The greens want to do everything possible to stop fossil fuel and this is just another well funded and well publicized scare tactic. Shut it down and they will just ship it by truck, train and boat. Then we'll see how much ends up in the water.
History lesson. The company, Enbridge, that owns Line 5 which runs under Lake Michigan at the Straits also owns the line that ruptured in the Kalamazoo River five years ago. Over 850,000 gallons of raw crude into the river. Multi billion dollar cleanup and fines.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:42 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by sheperd
The greens want to do everything possible to stop fossil fuel and this is just another well funded and well publicized scare tactic.
Just curious, what's wrong with developing other sources of energy also? Are you beholden to the oil industry in some aspect?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:24 AM
Registered

Personally, I think the more we can get away from fossil fuels to power cars, homes and industry, the more is freed up for our boats... Hows that for thinking outside the box?? Unfortunately we have too many politicians paid off by fossil fuels for anything to really change. I would love to see us join other countries and rely more on wind and solar for energy sources to power the grid.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
Personally, I think the more we can get away from fossil fuels to power cars, homes and industry, the more is freed up for our boats... Hows that for thinking outside the box?? Unfortunately we have too many politicians paid off by fossil fuels for anything to really change. I would love to see us join other countries and rely more on wind and solar for energy sources to power the grid.
It ill be very hard for the grid to go completely away from fossil fuel sources. Wind and solar, while they do help, are also sometimes a burden. Wind and solar will never be able to carry the base electric load of the US unless more research is put into them. Two major problems with them is that they are not reliable (the wind stops blowing and the solar relies on clear skies) and that the vast majority of wind farms and solar farms are built in remote areas because no one wants to see them from their backyard. With them being built in remote locations, there is very little load to serve there so the power needs transported to major load centers. In doing this it causes overloads, voltages issues, etc mainly because the infrastructure is not built up in these areas because again, lack of a load center and its remote location. Hydro is also the same way.....while it works and works well, there are dry spells in which dams cannot operate. There are more issues but these remain the most important in my mind.

With the way things are and the technology we have today, we will always need fossil fuel and nuclear plants (big nuclear fan by the way) to serve the base load electrical demand in the US. Maybe in the coming years, great new technology will arise that will change that but I haven't seen anything yet. Just my .02 for what its worth since I have a little knowledge in the area
Old 03-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
The fact of the matter is we can all talk till we are blue in the face about it but until there are people in there that want to listen we are just blowing smoke up are a$$es. Let's hope with the new staff in office that there might be some changes in the near future.
The new staff in office are the ones cutting the funding Ron.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.