Keeping The Great Lakes Great

Notices

Keeping The Great Lakes Great

Old 03-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
The new staff in office are the ones cutting the funding Ron.
I'd like to invite them for a nice swim in the Gowanus Canal.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is where you can find out what projects are affected.
https://www.glri.us/
Old 03-11-2017, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DanWentworth
Here is where you can find out what projects are affected.
https://www.glri.us/
In under a minute on that site I came up with two projects, a "feasibility study" and "technical assistance" to the tune of a million dollars, both targeting an area 40 miles from a Great Lake.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:29 PM
Registered

Germany renewable energy provides 30% of supply needed daily and perfect conditions almost 85% of it's needs. Americas best 16% on it's best day.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Registered

Germany and I believe Norway?? are both leading the way to energy independence to fossil fuels. They have a different mindset and are also probably not in bed with the fossil fuel industry as well.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
Germany and I believe Norway?? are both leading the way to energy independence to fossil fuels. They have a different mindset and are also probably not in bed with the fossil fuel industry as well.
They also utitlize rolling blackouts or start very expensive combustion turbines when the wind forecast is not cooperating. They also have a very extensive nuclear program that serves their base load. I wish the US nuclear program was on the same level as the Europeans. They using breeder reactors and nuclear waste reprocessing to turn nuclear waste into another isotope to use in different reactors. Unfortunately, Jimmy Carter put the halt to that for the US. I'm no where near an expert on nuclear recycling but if you want a good read google it. Its actually some really cool technology.

I'm not saying that I think renewable forms of energy are garbage, I just think we need to further the technology for the applications that we need here in the United States.Germany has a forcasted annual peak load of 75,000 MW's while Norway is around 24 MW's (not 100% of those numbers, just pulled them from google search). In comparison, just the PJM footprint of the electric grid is 150,000 MW's so that in itself presents an issue. This doesnt include the southeastern US, midwest, Texas, maritimes, or California. I'm no where near an expert at this. I do deal with it daily but there is so much that goes into reliable operations of the grid that we could sit here all day and discuss this topic (which I'm ok with, I love these types of discussions....lol)

Last edited by RidnMcNasty; 03-12-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:26 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

We can do better
Old 03-12-2017, 07:55 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by RidnMcNasty
They also utitlize rolling blackouts or start very expensive combustion turbines when the wind forecast is not cooperating. They also have a very extensive nuclear program that serves their base load. I wish the US nuclear program was on the same level as the Europeans. They using breeder reactors and nuclear waste reprocessing to turn nuclear waste into another isotope to use in different reactors. Unfortunately, Jimmy Carter put the halt to that for the US. I'm no where near an expert on nuclear recycling but if you want a good read google it. Its actually some really cool technology.

I'm not saying that I think renewable forms of energy are garbage, I just think we need to further the technology for the applications that we need here in the United States.Germany has a forcasted annual peak load of 75,000 MW's while Norway is around 24 MW's (not 100% of those numbers, just pulled them from google search). In comparison, just the PJM footprint of the electric grid is 150,000 MW's so that in itself presents an issue. This doesnt include the southeastern US, midwest, Texas, maritimes, or California. I'm no where near an expert at this. I do deal with it daily but there is so much that goes into reliable operations of the grid that we could sit here all day and discuss this topic (which I'm ok with, I love these types of discussions....lol)

Nova had a good episode on developing future power plant

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/th...ar-option.html
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-12-2017, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 589 Likes on 240 Posts

It will be interesting to see what Musk can get going with solar and some sort of cooperation from Florida and Nevada state government regs now that he has bought solar city.

Between solar panels and musk battery packs for my house along with a Tesla SUV to pull my carbon fiber high speed foiling sailing catamaran to the Gulf , I think I am set in Sunny Florida .

Last edited by tommymonza; 03-12-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Europe is different. Air conditioning in homes is rare, home heating is usually significantly cooler than what we expect. Most homes own single cars and people ride bikes. Unnecessary lights turn off etc, etc,. You learn to shower quickly also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.