Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Corrosion on lower unit, is it a warning? >

Corrosion on lower unit, is it a warning?

Notices

Corrosion on lower unit, is it a warning?

Old 03-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Allrisks
If you consider moving forward I can connect you with my surveyor friend (SAMS Certified) if you want to get a survey done prior to the purchase. He is very detailed in his inspection (a little anal) but that is what you want when buying a boat. He lives in the same city as the boat.
Not at survey stage yet but thanks for the offer, I'll keep you posted.
Cheers.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with Roll with it. I'm from the same area and deal with the same problem. My everyday boat get the corrosion on its outdrive. And all of my grounding is connected as well as a working mercathode. The Mercato deorfler doesn't work that great in a fast current area. As well as it takes a few hours for it to get a good shield around the outdrive. I change my anodes twice a year with the magnesium ones. They are the ones that corrode the fastest in fresh water. But I run a stainless prop and I don't doubt other boats putting off stray current. This is just what happens in this area and I would imagine the area that boat is from. My dad's old boat got cleaned, sanded, and painted every year. It stayed in the water all summer and we drove the hell out of it. He bought it in 1992 and had a 350 mag with an alpha 1. With the correct maintainence and painting it it lasted for 17 years on that boat. Then we junked the boat and kept the motor and drive. It is not in the best shape with the corrosion over the years but every bolt comes out and it still is functioning. I would say if you have stock power and do some cleaning up on it you will be good.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey rak rua: I think current photos are mandatory to gauge honesty of broker relative to condition of the entire boat. Everyone has a different opinion as to what is "minor" and what is "mint". The input from uluru is very valuable since he verifies this corrosion as typical for that area. It would be easier if you just moved to North America Bud!
Old 03-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
IF it becomes my boat, drives will be cleaned, sanded, primed, and painted back to perfect and will never be left in the water overnight.

RR

Edit, good suggestion above, internal corrosion was one of my concerns. I will investigate further.
Thank you.
According to a detailed article in BoatUS this month There's much more to correcting (correctable) corrosion than what you suggest as a repair procedure. It is well known that many times a single mercathode system, even when working correctly doesn't provide enough field to stave off corrosion. I've read of members having to run multiple is in tandem. Looks like that was teh case with the outdrive, or not working altogether.

I hope you're going to look at the boat yourself. It seems if that was ignored many other issues were as well.
I'd walk away.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
According to a detailed article in BoatUS this month There's much more to correcting (correctable) corrosion than what you suggest as a repair procedure. It is well known that many times a single mercathode system, even when working correctly doesn't provide enough field to stave off corrosion. I've read of members having to run multiple is in tandem. Looks like that was teh case with the outdrive, or not working altogether.

I hope you're going to look at the boat yourself. It seems if that was ignored many other issues were as well.
I'd walk away.
You're right about ignoring things on boats, anything not maintained can be a warning that other things aren't well maintained either. I will not be looking at the boat, or any other, I have bought boats unseen and will do so again. (I'm not in the U.S.)

R.E. This boat, I have had contact with the broker and nothing to report at the moment, if things change, I'll update the thread.

Thanks to all who've posted on here, some great info and a couple of genuine offers of help from guys in the area.

The search continues..........

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 03-16-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 590 Likes on 240 Posts

If this kind of corrosion is typical of a certain geographic location , I would start looking for a crashed UFO under the water somewhere ..

Not much is more corrosive than hot super salty water in SW Florida . And if I saw that on a boat here I would say its a stray electrical problem, not related to water conditions at all.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:33 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it has shorepower and is plugged in, (battery charger) then stray current could be possible, if this boat has grounding issues or the galvanic isolator or mercathode is shot.

I see it more of a dissimilar metals, with the alum being the more noble when its next to SS. Probably have signs of corrosion around all the drive nuts and oil fill plugs too

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-16-2017 at 07:38 PM.