Notices

Fuel Injector Maintenance

Old 01-30-2019, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Happy NEW YEAR TO ALL.

Thanks a million to everyone that has posted this up here. Actually I am kind of shocked that a post was even started about this. But seriously grateful. Really what comes with me is phone number and its always open when one does business with me not matter how big or small. Does not matter. I have said this in the past up here.

I would rather see boaters across the board have less issues because it keeps boaters in boating. As Marine dealers believe it or not, some of us selected dealers have said this many many years ago.

Fuel injector maintenance is basically per say currently part of a tune up and or a fuel maintenance program. I am going on 9 straight years providing this service and without a doubt can honestly say it is needed for the marine side of the coin. Can say this without hesitation.

Thanks for all the good words up here on OSO.
i tried to send you a PM but your box is full. Any other way to contact you?
Old 01-30-2019, 01:00 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfarmer
BUP can you test this type of injector? I dont believe they have a screen or do they?
Since your post to current I have tested 8 sets of these from people all over. Common issue with these I can go over with whomever about that info.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 751 Likes on 404 Posts

Can a dirty or leaky injector cause a miss at idle, cold, that clears up once the engine gets some heat in it? I picked up a dead miss late last season when the boat is cold right at startup. By the time I've idled out from my slip past the break wall/No Wake out of the marina it picks the cylinder back up and runs on all 8 the rest of the day. No codes and plugs only have 50 hours. 496 MAG. Just curious. Was going to toss a set of NGK TR55IX's at it to replace the AC 41-983's but engine always ran great on the AC's before. First thought was spark plug but then got to thinking maybe something is fouling it or it isn't getting fuel at first. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:59 PM
BUP
Banned

I WOULD look at all ignition stuff on the engine. Clean flame arrestor -- good working IAC - and all those IAC system related areas & parts, also fuel pressure testing inwhich can determine a leaking injector. Added in the mix of course a scan to see all parameters. Parameters of inputs and outputs are important as well and I understand if many do not know what they should be.. There is alot more to scanning an engine - just because it does not show any fault codes means nothing. Scanning does not show fuel pressure, nor any part of fueling nor its fuel delivery. Just saying

With that said ---- At some point in time injectors needs testing & servicing. Its like a carb engine at some point the marine carb needs to be cleaned and rebuilt with a new kit. Carbs and fuel injectors are both fuel delivery items - just that many people NEVER think about the injectors and maintain so they do not become contaminated. Fuel injectors always become contaminated in marine apps -- even well maintain engines and maintained fuel systems still see fuel injector contamination. At some point in time the orings need to be changed on fuel injectors as well. .

I would change the spark plugs first - The NGK plugs are better to use - leave the gap alone unless it is screwed straight out of the box. Look at all 8 to see if the gap matches and good straight alignment with the ground strap

Next move on to testing plug wires and then coils, to make sure all that is good to go as well.

Last edited by BUP; 01-30-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:48 AM
Registered

I thought I’d share my experience so far with the 496 fuel injection system. My boat was not performing very well at the beginning of last season. The first outing it did “okay” and on the second, would barely get up on a plane. I started troubleshooting and found a lot of reference to fouled plugs causing similar problems on other 496’s.

I changed all 8 plugs which were in pretty bad shape, thinking that the problem was solved (But why did they foul?). Took the boat out again and it ran much better, but still was down a few hundred RPM at top end. Things were still not quite right.

I thought this would be the perfect time to purchase the Rinda scan software and see what was going on! The results were inconclusive (to me). No abnormal codes. Things seemed to be in spec. Then I ran the “Induced Misfire Test”, which commands the PCM to disable the fuel injector on a selected cylinder. If the RPM changes when the injector is disabled, you know a problems exists there. I noticed that on some cylinders the RPMs barely dropped or didn’t drop at all. There had to be a fuel delivery problem.

I ended up on the OSO forums reading about all of the problems with clogged injectors on the 496. Especially on the years that had the Cool Fuel III systems. This system was painted on the inside by the factory. The paint degrades and then starts peeling off and getting into the injectors.

I saw that a lot of people were talking about BUP and his injector cleaning service. He had stellar reviews so I contacted him. He has been beyond helpful in educating me on all of the intricacies on this fuel system! He gave me step by step instructions for everything I need to do for removal, including other things to look for. He has been a great communicator and is passionate about what he does. I just sent the injectors and fuel rail to him for inspection / repair and am excited to see what he comes up with and get back on the water this spring!

I also learned that a missing injector pintle cap that is sitting on top of the intake valve CAN be removed through the injector port without removing the intake manifold. But that’s a whole other story!

I will update as things progress.

Last edited by somefun; 02-03-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by somefun
I thought I’d share my experience so far with the 496 fuel injection system. My boat was not performing very well at the beginning of last season. The first outing it did “okay” and on the second, would barely get up on a plane. I started troubleshooting and found a lot of reference to fouled plugs causing similar problems on other 496’s.

I changed all 8 plugs which were in pretty bad shape, thinking that the problem was solved (But why did they foul?). Took the boat out again and it ran much better, but still was down a few hundred RPM at top end. Things were still not quite right.

I thought this would be the perfect time to purchase the Rinda scan software and see what was going on! The results were inconclusive (to me). No abnormal codes. Things seemed to be in spec. Then I ran the “Induced Misfire Test”, which commands the PCM to disable the fuel injector on a selected cylinder. If the RPM changes when the injector is disabled, you know a problems exists there. I noticed that on some cylinders the RPMs barely dropped or didn’t drop at all. There had to be a fuel delivery problem.

I ended up on the OSO forums reading about all of the problems with clogged injectors on the 496. Especially on the years that had the Cool Fuel III systems. This system was painted on the inside by the factory. The paint degrades and then starts peeling off and getting into the injectors.

I saw that a lot of people were talking about BUP and his injector cleaning service. He had stellar reviews so I contacted him. He has been beyond helpful in educating me on all of the intricacies on this fuel system! He gave me step by step instructions for everything I need to do for removal, including other things to look for. He has been a great communicator and is passionate about what he does. I just sent the injectors and fuel rail to him for inspection / repair and am excited to see what he comes up with and get back on the water this spring!

I also learned that a missing injector pintle cap that is sitting on top of the intake valve CAN be removed through the injector port without removing the intake manifold. But that’s a whole other story!

Good choice. BUP is the best. Well worth the time and $$ having them done.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 751 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by somefun

I plan to pull my injectors and send BUP's way as soon as the weather breaks. Although my engine was rebuilt a couple years ago and I specifically asked the builder to clean/test the injectors I received no paperwork on who did it or the results. Better safe than sorry.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:59 PM
BUP
Banned

Thanks GUYS for all the comments - Somefun sent me one pic of his injector and just by him turning the injector upside down BLACK PAINT was coming out of the injector.

Also good talking to Somefun and we will have more conversations when I get all of your stuff in my hands,

In the meantime for whomever if you want to call and talk about boat related stuff thats fine as well. I can try to help out my best if you have questions. Basically all my experience is from Merc racing 700 sci and down and ALL black side Mercruiser production engines.

Other experience is 10 to 15 percent is custom built marine engines in the mix. Also Volvo Penta, Indmar including their Raptor marine engines and PCM marine engines. I also have worked on ILmor V10 and LS marine engines, Innovation Marine, Marine Power, Commander, OMC sterndrives, Lexus / Toyota Marine engines among others. .

My number is listed and is on my website. Heck some of guys, we have talked for hours on the phone about their boat and other boating related topics. My better half says I am worse than a women talking about soap operas all day long, just my conversations is all about boats..

Thanks again

Last edited by BUP; 02-04-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:01 PM
Registered

Default 500 EFI injectors

Just wanted to throw some very valuable information out there to all the 500efi owners
I have a 45 Donzi with only 150hrs on it but she is a 2002 Has 3 - 500 EFIs in her Never has any real issues with the motors. Last year just because of the age of everything I went thru the upper ends new heads etc etc. Towards the end of last year I began to smell gas in the oil and also exhaust smelt very very rich. I got hooked up with BUP down in Texas and after some very informative phone conversation I pulled all 3 motor injectors out and sent them to him and before even knowing the results of my injectors I purchased 24 new injectors from BUP. Finished the install today and fired the motors up. WHAT A DIFFERENCE BUP’s injectors made. Better idle better throttle responce and exhaust back to a normal smell. Got some feedback on my old injectors and sure thing they were laying down, coils getting weak etc etc. guess all I’m trying to say if you have the 500s in your boat it’s a simple task to remove the injectors and send them to BUP to see for yourself. Cheap insurance before a cylinder gets washed out or even worse.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Good stuff! I have also heard good things about BUP, super nice guy.

I have been sending my injectors to "Arcticfriends" Steve Smith, Smittys Eng & Trans - Transmission Repair, Automotive Engine, for years. All my friends have had good luck with him also. Plus he just got a brand new machine!

Funny how maintaining fuel systems gets neglected sometimes. Same with carburetors, people complain about carbs but haven't done a $29 rebuild kit in 10 years and wonder why they have trouble! LOL!
The following users liked this post:
SB (07-08-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.