Notices

Fuel Injector Maintenance

Old 06-19-2018, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
it is best to run all engines with a quality 2 stroke motor oil and quality fuel stabilizer for storage / lay up of over 4 weeks if the boat is not being used.

This helps fuel pumps - fuel lines - carbs if applicable - fuel rails - fuel injectors if applicable - fuel filter mounting pads - fuel fittings and so forth. Also the oil / gas mix does not seem to evaporate as much as straight fuel only. This in return also helps against having fuel issues.

See the 2 stroke oil adds lubricity and lubes against condensation forming that can cause corrosion --- when mixed in the fuel. Keep in mind acts like a fogging oil effect . 40 to 1 or 50 to works well.

Also add some to your gas tank for lay up --- 2 stroke motor oil and stabil. 80 or 90 or 100 to 1 mix on the 2 stroke motor oil.
Hey BUP are you addressing my issues with maintenance to my ASM?......If you are, I'm more concerned with how to maintain the mechanisms in the fuel injector system as a whole.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:30 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

all gas side marine apps. outboards - inboards - jet skis -

What kills me here is when winterizing / lay up EVERYONE makes sure that PINK antifreeze goes in the cooling side of the engine - but do nothing to the fuel side to combat corrosion - and HOW many at boat lay up take fuel samples from gas tank - filters and if applicable the basket in the gen 3 cool fuel for water presents ?

If any water is present in any portion of the fuel system including the injectors -- the water freezes and 2 is very corrosive to the fuel side of everything. It forms an acid with E 10 fuels as the water and alcohol fall out of the fuel when mixed.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

I use av fuel better longevity I guess........and did you ever here of the Separ water separator & fuel filter systems ?
Old 06-19-2018, 05:52 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by scippy
I use av fuel better longevity I guess........and did you ever here of the Separ water separator & fuel filter systems ?
have you heard that when a fuel water seperator filter has filled completely with water in it and weather freezes that can burst the filter wide open cause issue and fire hazards ?

And having water in filter still causes corrosion as well internally of the filter metal portions and the filter mounting pad. I cut open over 40 water fuel seperator filters alone in the month of May. from customer boats. . It will surprise you what is inside and the some of the junk quality

do you know what water does to cheap paper element inside the filter ? most are like sponge and or come apart - I have proven that many times in marine classes.

Last edited by BUP; 06-19-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Could use so help understanding BUP
Just an old guy, not a business owner or by any means an expert like your self, but never seen or heard of a water sep filter split open from the winter. In my theory it would take a lot of water to expand enough to do that. Don't see an inch in the bottom (which would be a lot of water to me) even doing it, it would expand up. If it was E10 the water would be absorbed in the fuel, E0 (AV gas and what I use) would not absorb the water. Do agree if it did freeze in the filter and there was paper, it would tear it, my thought.

Side note and off topic: but I don't understand why folks spends mega bucks building a motor and install Fram filters
Old 06-19-2018, 06:11 PM
BUP
Banned

Here a stock OEM Mercruiser set up using spin on Water Sep fuel filter - The OEM mount what do think caused this ? And you should have seen the injectors - The engine would not start - new customer 6 weeks ago. 2000 Big block with gen 2 cool fuel all stock fuel set up.

Important to check out the mount as well even changing filters all the time. Take a look - all freshwater used local boater. A fuel pump and fuel injector killer 4 sure
Old 06-19-2018, 06:27 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Could use so help understanding BUP
Just an old guy, not a business owner or by any means an expert like your self, but never seen or heard of a water sep filter split open from the winter. In my theory it would take a lot of water to expand enough to do that. Don't see an inch in the bottom (which would be a lot of water to me) even doing it, it would expand up. If it was E10 the water would be absorbed in the fuel, E0 (AV gas and what I use) would not absorb the water. Do agree if it did freeze in the filter and there was paper, it would tear it, my thought.

Side note and off topic: but I don't understand why folks spends mega bucks building a motor and install Fram filters
correct - met to write completely filled with water. Have you ever seen the very small version of the volvo filter especially when mallory marine made them. Not much capacity for even fuel. BUT WILL ADD had seen rust thru a crack that leaked at the filter bottom. way more than once . At least a couple of handful times. Keep in mind water seperating fuel filters have been on marine apps for like 40 years so the OEMs know water has always been an issue regardless of fuel / gas brand
Old 06-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi BUP, for a 2000 500 EFI, what spinon fuel water separator would you recommend and how frequently would you change it? Also, how frequently would you change the stock stainless steel inline fuel filter before the injector rails? Thank you for all of your contributions. Learning a lot. If this info is located in another thread let me know.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:50 PM
BUP
Banned

A buddy wrote this back in 2004 - before any of his stories started we would talk about it but mostly this was his deal. FWIW as many things have changed since then. And the worst fuel filter currently is the OEM by far. Not the racing version but the black production side fuel filter offering.

Bill wrote for many mags back in the day. Very smart guy about marine outboards and a master with the Johnson Evinrude products. He is retired currently but still is a marine consultant.

IMO for stock fuel filter mounts Racor and for I/O and inboards you have to use the approved metal canister ( the bottom metal base --- do use the the plastic bottom base canister for outboards.

FWIW link below.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...erBoatsMag.pdf

Last edited by BUP; 06-20-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks BUP. I was going to use FST for spin on and the Mercury OEM for the inline filter but I'll see what Racor offers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.